Why do People Dislike or Hate other peoples


Jersay
#1
Now I had a huge argument with my parents yesterday based on the fact of those terrorist suspects and all other stuff that is going on in the world and such. However, like i stated in a post so long ago, why can't one normal human being treat another normal human being, no matter the race, skin colour, ethnicity, gender, colour of hair, colour of eyes, religion and on and on.

Now this is not directed at anyone in particular, an it effects everyone because in every community in the world you will have someone who will say or will act in anger against another community based on what was said above.

So why is there this hate, or dislike, or fear of another person that may be different to you.

Why can't one human being be friends with another human being no matter what their differences may appear because on the DNA level we are not that much different.
 
Jay
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

Now I had a huge argument with my parents yesterday based on the fact of those terrorist suspects and all other stuff that is going on in the world and such.

Well I'm glad we aren't the only people your frustrating.
 
Jersay
#3
Yeah, well after some arguing they came over half way to my side of the argument.
 
Jay
#4
They let you back in the house?
 
Jersay
#5
Yep.
 
Jersay
#6
Besides, it doesn't really matter when I get back into the house or not. But this is an area that think is important.

Because when I go about life I take a person as a person, and about 99.9% of the time if I meet people I like them. And when I do go traveling in a few years, I am going to have the same mindset.

So why do people dislike, hate, or fear different people??
 
Jay
#7
Surely there are people you don't like, Jersay.
 
Jersay
#8
Actually no. I don't dislike anyone. Now when I was in Air Cadets there were two people that you could say i didn't like because to me they abused their power. But now thinking about it, they were just doing their job the way they thought it should have been done and it was'twhat i thought the way it should have been done.
 
Jersay
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Surely there are people you don't like, Jersay.

I try not to think that way about disliking people in general. Because I don't see the point. I might not like what the Israeli government does to the Palestinians, but if I met an Israeli government official, I am sure that I would like him or her personally.
 
Nuggler
#10
Yep. I bet even Adolph had some likeable qualities. I mean, just cause ya start a war where about 10 million folks bite it don't mean your'e basically not a nice guy.

Hell, I could even cosy up to Count Vlad, or maybe Ghengis. I think I Kan...............grrrrrrrroan

 
Said1
#11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Surely there are people you don't like, Jersay.

I try not to think that way about disliking people in general. Because I don't see the point. I might not like what the Israeli government does to the Palestinians, but if I met an Israeli government official, I am sure that I would like him or her personally.

I have that problem too, hate the sin love the sinner - blah, blah. I really should use more discretion and lose that ability to get along with very difficult people - when I want to of course.
 
Semperfi_dani
#12
To answer your question, its because we don't have to like everyone in the world.

I know that seems simplistic, but we grow up with some fundamental intrinsic thoughts.

1) That the fit survive, so therefore, who ever is in power is therefore the fittest. If you are not in the power chain, than you resent those that are. And if you are at the top, you can't sympathise with those that don't take the steps to improve their situation.
**Now the problem with that lies in that what does one consider powerful or less powerful?. How do you measure that? In a way, there are multiple levels in which people assert their power and give up their power. There is the basic family group in which for example, the older brother might be resented by the younger brother for all that he has to gain. In a larger level, things like religion (with sayings like "our religion is the true religion"), culture "our culture is the strongest culture", regions "our country is a leader, your's isn't"...and so on down the road.

2) Our values, norms and societies define who we are. So therefore how we get along in society depends on where we percieve ourselves in society. And what cards we are dealth.

So my point is that in theory, it sounds good to just get along with everyone. But how we grow up shapes our views and the silent interchange of power that is exchanged in society every day.

Unless we are all the same culture, relgion, gender, socio-economic class with the same education and income, there is no possible way that we can all be judged on an equal footing. Therefore, there will be those that are at the top of the percieved heap, and those at the bottom. And how you percieve your level is based on your own values.

3) Borders, relgion, money, politics. We will never agree on that level.
 
Finder
#13
Don't know, some people are just jerks.
 
Semperfi_dani
#14
Oh, and the other thing i would add....

If you don't like your neighbour because his dog barks, than its perfectly acceptable to hate your neighbour and noone thinks twice.

If you don't like someone because they have fundamental views that differ from you, than therefore that is considered intolerant.

That fine line of what we define as like and hate is thin.
 
mabudon
#15
NO!!!!!! it;s fine to hate your neighbors' dog barking but to hate your neighbor because of it is maladjusted socially, at [I]least/I]
 
Semperfi_dani
#16
mabudon...but noone gets their arms up in the air when we curse the senior counting pennies in the express lane, or when we hate the ****er who took advantage of you in some way, or the secretary that ****ed with your husband, or the politician who swindled millions of tax payer money...etc etc.

Thats all acceptable hatred, rational or not. Its that universal "yah, hes a ****er" response that everyone feels they must agree.

But if you don't like the person based on religion, culture or any other bizarre benchmark for hatred, than its intolerance, even if you never act on it. Its that unacceptable hate.

So what is the differentiation in acceptance of hate, if all is based on irrational reason and in most cases, you don't act on it?
 
Jersay
#17
Quote: Originally Posted by Semperfi_dani

To answer your question, its because we don't have to like everyone in the world.
I know that seems simplistic, but we grow up with some fundamental intrinsic thoughts.
1) That the fit survive, so therefore, who ever is in power is therefore the fittest. If you are not in the power chain, than you resent those that are. And if you are at the top, you can't sympathise with those that don't take the steps to improve their situation.
**Now the problem with that lies in that what does one consider powerful or less powerful?. How do you measure that? In a way, there are multiple levels in which people assert their power and give up their power. There is the basic family group in which for example, the older brother might be resented by the younger brother for all that he has to gain. In a larger level, things like religion (with sayings like "our religion is the true religion"), culture "our culture is the strongest culture", regions "our country is a leader, your's isn't"...and so on down the road.
2) Our values, norms and societies define who we are. So therefore how we get along in society depends on where we percieve ourselves in society. And what cards we are dealth.
So my point is that in theory, it sounds good to just get along with everyone. But how we grow up shapes our views and the silent interchange of power that is exchanged in society every day.

Quote has been trimmed
I still don't know why. Why because there are people who don't go on that so called norm.

Quote:

Yep. I bet even Adolph had some likeable qualities. I mean, just cause ya start a war where about 10 million folks bite it don't mean your'e basically not a nice guy.

Hell, I could even cosy up to Count Vlad, or maybe Ghengis. I think I Kan...............grrrrrrrroan

 
Semperfi_dani
#18
But im serious Jers.... I am not saying this on the sly. I am seriously wondering why there are acceptable hate and unacceptable hate.
 
Jersay
#19
Quote: Originally Posted by Semperfi_dani

But im serious Jers.... I am not saying this on the sly. I am seriously wondering why there are acceptable hate and unacceptable hate.

What i want to know is why people hate other people at all. Why? You say about unacceptable and acceptable hate. And I agree, because I have seen it my self but why is there hate at all?
 
Swifty
#20
Basically most of us are just one step above the animal kingdom.
And at any time depending on our circumstances, any one of us could move one step below the brain of a hyena. www.awf.org/wildlives/141 (external - login to view)

As you get older you realize this.
We all are a victims of our surroundings.

If your neighbor raped your mother and she told you it was him,would you call the police or beat the living crap out of him ?

And suppose you took the civilized route and called the police,and he was found guilty but served only 3 months for it due to a technicality or a police error, what would you do ?
 
dekhqonbacha
#21
I believe we are inharetated some from the history. Before the nations were divided by the borders. What one society thought about the other didn't really matter because no one would know what the others were thinking.

The racial, religion, etc discirmination existed in areas occupied by europeens, mostly against native people.

Later, people started moving from a country to another bringing their lower social level with them. Or at least the were subject to discrimination.

Last century, people dealt mostly with discrimination. But it still remains in most of us. We are inhareted it.

If you see two people from different origin arguing, what you might notice is that they think that each of the is the subject to discrimination.

The thought revives the hate.

I think.
 
dekhqonbacha
#22
Quote: Originally Posted by Swifty

...

And suppose you took the civilized route and called the police,and he was found guilty but served only 3 months for it due to a technicality or a police error, what would you do ?

forgive him? no?
 
Graeme
#23
This is really weird, How do you not understand why you might dislike someone or even hate them.

Tell me, if someone was to hold you hostage and torture you, and then kill everyone you loved and cared about right in front of you. Are you trying to tell me you wouldn't strongly dislike them... dare I say HATE them.

Now sure that is an extreme case, but I think you are quite litterally full of crap if you say you don't dislike anyone.

For instance are you trying to tell me you don't "dislike" child molesters. Personally if I could get my hands on someone who raped anyone I know, I would chop there balls off without thinking twice, and no, not for justice, but for the sheer dislike/hate I would feel for them.
 
Jersay
#24
I'm full of crap.

That's the thing about your two issues. That you bring up. I would be more angry if something happened, yes if a family member including a child but would I be calling for someone's head over it. No. Why? Because I believe that people should get over that BS about an eye for an eye and such like that. Should the government ensure the protection of the public from people who molest people, absolutely. But if you hate someone, you I figure just loose abit of yourself.
 
dekhqonbacha
#25
Quote: Originally Posted by Graeme

...

Tell me, if someone was to hold you hostage and torture you, and then kill everyone you loved and cared about right in front of you.

...

If you are not a member of criminal group, or drug sellers group, you are not subject to all of unnumbered above actions.

If you don't kill the innocent people you are not the subjec to be the target.

If you don't harm someone, no one will think to harm you implicetly.
 
Graeme
#26
[quote="Jersay"]
Quote: Originally Posted by Semperfi_dani

But im serious Jers.... I am not saying this on the sly. I am seriously wondering why there are acceptable hate and unacceptable hate.

Hate is a strong dislike towards another person or possibly thing.

The reason there is hate is because as creatures that can experience and learn we have the capacity to develop dislikes, without this capacity we would not survive because we would never have any reason to change anything we do.

Completely scientifically speaking the emotion of dislike protects us by either making us want to stay away from, be more cautious of, defend ourselves from, or preemptively attack what ever it is we dislike. There-by decreasing the chances of ourselves coming to harm. Hate is only a very strong form of dislike.

If you wonder why we may come to hate particular people, again it is a defensive mechanism. Why might someone be racist? because they see a particular group within a race as being savage, untrustworthy, or immoral to there personal standards. And as we do with everything we learn they make what ever associations seem most prominent. Race is a very easy one to make because it is so obvious, and because race has a very strong correlation with culture. Many cultures clash, and it is not wrong to dislike someone else’s culture, and when it begins to interfere with yours due to the actions of those in the culture, it is a logical step to dislike the perpetrators, who are affecting your way of life in a way you deem negative.
 
Swifty
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by dekhqonbacha

Quote: Originally Posted by Swifty

...

And suppose you took the civilized route and called the police,and he was found guilty but served only 3 months for it due to a technicality or a police error, what would you do ?

forgive him? no?

Ok,you were invited to that 3 ton Ammonium Nitrate party last week and we were excluded.I hate it when people don't share the Buzz.
 
Graeme
#28
Quote: Originally Posted by dekhqonbacha

Quote: Originally Posted by Graeme

...

Tell me, if someone was to hold you hostage and torture you, and then kill everyone you loved and cared about right in front of you.

...

If you are not a member of criminal group, or drug sellers group, you are not subject to all of unnumbered above actions.

If you don't kill the innocent people you are not the subjec to be the target.

If you don't harm someone, no one will think to harm you implicetly.


Awww isn't that idealistic. So what your saying is that all people are naturally good! I would love to hear your explination for how reciprocal harm begins.

Don't be foolish, people have ambition, sometimes those ambitions are to have what others have and sometimes the only or the easiest way to get that something is to cause harm in some fashion to someone else.
 
Jersay
#29
Quote:

Hate is a strong dislike towards another person or possibly thing.
The reason there is hate is because as creatures that can experience and learn we have the capacity to develop dislikes, without this capacity we would not survive because we would never have any reason to change anything we do.
Completely scientifically speaking the emotion of dislike protects us by either making us want to stay away from, be more cautious of, defend ourselves from, or preemptively attack what ever it is we dislike. There-by decreasing the chances of ourselves coming to harm. Hate is only a very strong form of dislike.
If you wonder why we may come to hate particular people, again it is a defensive mechanism. Why might someone be racist? because they see a particular group within a race as being savage, untrustworthy, or immoral to there personal standards. And as we do with everything we learn they make what ever associations seem most prominent. Race is a very easy one to make because it is so obvious, and because race has a very strong correlation with culture. Many cultures clash, and it is not wrong to dislike someone else’s culture, and when it begins to interfere with yours due to the actions of those in the culture, it is a logical step to dislike the perpetrators, who are affecting your way of life in a way you deem negative.

Quote has been trimmed
Funny thing you mention that we would not survive if hate or dislike of other peoples isn't maintained which is totally sad. And that is what people who don't seem to hate anyone, or dislike other peoples culture, and there are people out there, or their wouldn't be movements around the world to change things like that.
 
dekhqonbacha
#30
The party was wonderful. Dancing, singing, drinking. Gosh, I had great time. ...
Besides, which party you are talking about?
How did you that I was at that party?
 

Similar Threads

19
I Hate Young People
by Twila | Sep 24th, 2007
1
Dislike your Boss?
by thomaska | Jul 31st, 2007
52
Which prov. do you dislike the most?
by westmanguy | Mar 17th, 2007
no new posts