Fatal wolf attack

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The death of Kenton Carnegie
CBC News Online | March 07, 2006

On Nov. 8, 2005, 22-year-old Ontario student Kenton Carnegie went for a walk near the northern Saskatchewan mining camp where he was doing a co-op placement. Hours later, his body was found at the edge of a frozen lake, surrounded by wolf tracks.
Kenton Carnegie
Kenton Carnegie had flown into Points North Landing working for a survey company as part of his university's co-op program.

Although the province's chief coroner has yet to release a report on what caused his death, a few days after the attack the RCMP said it's likely wolves killed the third-year geological engineering student from the University of Waterloo.

A CBC investigation, based on interviews and previously unreleased government documents, supports the suggestion that this may be the first documented case of a healthy wolf killing a human in the wild in North America in at least a century.

wolf attack

I completely missed this story when it happened. I only heard about it through my wife's nephew who is a pilot and he flew these people into the area.

I lived up north for quite a few years and we never worried about a wolf attacking anyone. If a wolf saw you first, you wouldn't see the wolf. I guess times are changing.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I saw on the news that some cougars were attacking children at AndrewsAFB and later, a gang of chimps attacked a car in Somalia. Although I love wolves,I realize that we are nothing to them but dinner :(

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
It was the first documented wolf attack in a hundred years. I always thought wolves were somehow more noble because they never attacked people. We never used to worry about black bear attacks either but there have certainly been a good number of black bear attacks in the last twenty five years or so.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
Russia has had a number of wolf incidents in the past, where people have been killed. it is very rare here tho..lots of other food for them. But,if a wolf is sick or injured,it goes after the easiest mealticket it can find and that is us.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
It was the first documented wolf attack in a hundred years. I always thought wolves were somehow more noble because they never attacked people. We never used to worry about black bear attacks either but there have certainly been a good number of black bear attacks in the last twenty five years or so.

This is not true. There are wolf attacks in Canada every year, it is just that they are very rarely fatal.......there were five over 12 years in Algonquin Park alone.....

Wolves (and I think they are wonderful animals) are wild animals.........and to them, all living creatures fall into two categories:

1. I eat it.

2. I am afraid of it.

When they lose their fear.........

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I find this story quite odd. They hung around the body the article said. It didn't mention they'd consumed any of him though. I wonder if food is getting really really scarce?

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
This is not true. There are wolf attacks in Canada every year, it is just that they are very rarely fatal.......there were five over 12 years in Algonquin Park alone.....

Wolves (and I think they are wonderful animals) are wild animals.........and to them, all living creatures fall into two categories:

1. I eat it.

2. I am afraid of it.

When they lose their fear.........

I'm not convinced Colpy. I grew up in wolf country and wolves always avoided contact with humans. The following link is to a site that suggests that most wolf attacks are by rabid animals: Wolf Trust - Wolves & People

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The wolf's job is to cull the sick and old from the herds. Humans, compared to any wild animal are not healthy. Our diets and lifestyles are not conducive to health. I am surprised that predators don't attack humans on a daily basis. Of course, they may just be smarter than us and know that humans, for the most part, are toxic waste and it is not healthy to eat them. I always feel sorry for a bear that eats a human. I think he must be sick or brain damaged to do such a foolish thing.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
Canines chase things if they run. Most wolves don't like the taste of humans. However, if they smell blood, it probably would put them in attack mode. The guy may have fallen and cut himself, then spotted the wolves aand panicked.
If the authorities had their poop in a group, they should have found a tracker to decipher the sign and get the likely story of what happened.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
LGilbert has it right. Wolves don't hunt people for food. I suspect that if anything, the kid wandered in to an area, got himself into trouble and probably unintentualy provoked the wolves into an attack. People in the city do it with dogs all the time. Then blame the dog! I know it's a bit sarcastic to say but perhaps dopey kids from the city shouldn't be left to run loose in the wilds of the North Country.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
LGilbert has it right. Wolves don't hunt people for food. I suspect that if anything, the kid wandered in to an area, got himself into trouble and probably unintentualy provoked the wolves into an attack. People in the city do it with dogs all the time. Then blame the dog! I know it's a bit sarcastic to say but perhaps dopey kids from the city shouldn't be left to run loose in the wilds of the North Country.

I certainly think fear of wolves is unnecessary, wolf attacks are rare in the first place, and fatal ones even more rare.........but the blanket statement "wolves don't hunt people for food" is misleading..........first of all, how do you know?
I have read a couple of accounts of wolves doing exactly that.

The unreasoning terror wolves seem to strike in some of us is undoubtedly NOT without a foundation in reality.........silly, but still......

Secondly, I don't much care why a wolf attacks a person. It is not a trial. Wolves don't have to be considered innocent until proven guilty. Wolf attacks are uncommon, but not unheard of....they are wild animals, predators, they don't give a rat's ass for mankind, except as a threat....or maybe dinner.....please treat them with respect, is the point.

The wild is wild........things get killed by other things.....we don't control, nor do we even understand it anymore, unfortunately.

Me?

I'd love to see a wolf in the wild. and no, I wouldn't shoot it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
This kid made a stupid mistake and failed to heed warnings and rules. If it weren't a wolf that got him it would have been a bear or cat somewhere in his future.

We have camp rules for a reason. on my crews if you break any of them there is no second chance.

I guess this kid found out why the hard way.