How to tell a believer from a non-believer?

Zan
oh wait a sec there girl, .... not necessarily a wiccan, that's your gig - just alive n'kickin would be good fer starters.... hahaha .....but I'll continue the quest for a Canuck for ya.... I still get first dibs though.

I gotta get some sleep, I'm up early to plow through some chocolate bunnies with the kids fer breakfast. gaaaack. how gross, even for a chocoalte lover such as I. LOLLLL.

selfactivated
Night Love, Kiss the kiddies and dont steal there booty Im gonna kiss goddess sweet dreams and maybe dream about a greek fisherman/painter eh? Next life

Namaste my friend

Zan
namaste hon, and yes you need sleep too... it's 4 am for you.

FiveParadox
Good night, selfactivated, and Zan! It's 1:00 AM here, which isn't too late, but seeing as how I had chemotherapy today, you get sorta drained (no worries, I'm doing okay). Looking forward to more stunning debates and discussions, tomorrow.

Zan
good night 5par, please take good care of yourself ok? Especially during your treatments. We don't seem to have a huggy emoticon on here, or I'd send ya one. You really are a sweety. Sleep well.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by FiveParadox

Good night, selfactivated, and Zan! It's 1:00 AM here, which isn't too late, but seeing as how I had chemotherapy today, you get sorta drained (no worries, I'm doing okay). Looking forward to more stunning debates and discussions, tomorrow.

May I light a candle for you tomorrow night? (I know Zan but that *healer button* wont turn off so easy! :P )On sunday nights I light a white candle for those that accept my possitive thoughts. I NEVER do so without permission and I totally get it if you say no. Anyway, Night my new friend

tracy
5, hope you're taking care of yourself. I'm not as polite as selfactivated, I'll be sending you good thoughts whether you want me to or not

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivated

Quote: Originally Posted by JersayNow are we discussing about not an actual person or people but a thought that keeps our 'faith' because in my religion, the gods and goddesses are believed to be apart of human psyche, not really there but something or someone that people can strive for if I have explained that properly. This religion stuff is kind of difficult when you get to the nuts and bolts of it.
In the past 5 years Ive read 100's of books, not understanding all but taking this and that along the way. In every fraction Ive read about there seems to be a single golden thread that twines betwixt it all. "Treat others as you wish to be treated" In everything Ive read it tells me to look within and to not judge.
Quote: The Universality of the Golden Rule in the World Religions
Christianity All things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye so to them; for this is the law and the prophets.
Matthew 7:1
Confucianism Do not do to others what you would not like yourself. Then there will be no resentment against you, either in the family or in the state.
Analects 12:2

Quote has been trimmed
I like this a lot.

cortezzz
me too

damngrumpy
All religions are restrictive unto the structure of their own brand of teaching. Millions of people all believing the same thing, ya right.
I am what you might call a retired Catholic. Every Sunday I was dragged off to mass, as my parents believed I too shall believe.
As soon as I was old enough to live on my own I drop that little Sunday morning habit. Church, prayers and rituals are all the same, they are ways of confining ones thinking and developing a religious person instead of a thinking individual.
I do not think less of religious people for what they believe, as they have a right to their thoughts and beliefs as I do, its only when these folks start insisting that everyone believe and behave they way they want, that I get ticked.

Sassylassie
I'm like you Damngrump, I stopped going to mass when I was 15. I told my parents that I wasn't going to be a Catholic any more, I told them that the Church was doing so much harm in hiding their Sex crimes that it had become a temple of Deviance and not a place of Worship. I still feel that way.

Jersay
Quote:

just curious jersay

what religion are you--- are you really a viking

you know the vikings werent any better than the christians

I am a Viking or as we are called now Heathens or Asatru members. We are a revival or continuation of the Viking religion. And we have between 200,000 to 1,000,000 people.

selfactivated
Quote:

Asatru is frequently regarded as one of the Neopagan family of religions. That family includes Wicca, Celtic Druidism, and re-creations of Egyptian, Greek, Roman, and other ancient Pagan religions. However, many Asatruers prefer the term "Heathen" to "Neopagan" and look upon their tradition as "not just a branch on the Neopagan tree" but as a separate tree. Unlike Wicca, which has gradually evolved into many different traditions, the reconstruction of Asatru has been based on the surviving historical record. Its followers have maintained it as closely as possible to the original religion of the Norse people.
Asatru or Įsatrś is an Icelandic word which is a translation of the Danish word "Asetro." Asetro was "first seen in 1885 in an article in the periodical "Fjallkonan". The next recorded instance was in "Heišinn sišur į Ķslandi" ("Heathen traditions in Iceland.") by Ólafur Briem (Reykjavķk, 1945)." It means "belief in the Asir," the Gods. "Asatru" is a combination of "Asa" which is the possessive case of the word Ęsir (Aesir) and "Tru" which means belief or religion.
Throughout Scandinavia the religion is called Forn Sišr (which means the Ancient way or tradition), Forn sed (the Old custom), Nordisk sed (Nordic custom), or Hedensk sed (Pagan custom). Other names are:
Norse Heathenism, Germanic Heathenism, the Elder Troth, the Old Way, Asetro, Vor Si r (our way), Forn Si r (Ancient way), Forn sed (the old custom), Nordisk sed...

Quote has been trimmed

Jersay
It is believed to be a pagan religion, and I would agree that it should be connected to pagan religions on the basic abou trying to go back to an era before Christianity persa.

But most Asatru members or Viking members like to call themselves heathens.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

It is believed to be a pagan religion, and I would agree that it should be connected to pagan religions on the basic abou trying to go back to an era before Christianity persa.

But most Asatru members or Viking members like to call themselves heathens.

No hun I wasnt trying to connect it I just looked it up and I thought it was a good article and cleared up the history a bit. Im a bit of this and a bit of that. And a great deal of the whole and of nothing.....

Im sorry I wasnt more clear.

Jersay
Thats okay.

cortezzz
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

Quote:

just curious jersay

what religion are you--- are you really a viking

you know the vikings werent any better than the christians

I am a Viking or as we are called now Heathens or Asatru members. We are a revival or continuation of the Viking religion. And we have between 200,000 to 1,000,000 people.

that is trully --different
ive not heard met a single member of such a faith
very interesting
i will be researching this

thecdn
How to tell a believer from a non-believer?

That's easy down here in the southern US. All the good christians have big gaudy crosses around their necks and jesus fish on their cars. Because of course, faith isn't something personal between you and your god, it's something you have to publicize as much as possible to show those around you what a good person you are.

I'd put a big atheist sticker on my motorcycle but I'm sure some good christian would feel he is doing gods work by running me off the road...

selfactivated
LOLLLLLLLLLLL I see those on bikes all the time! I wave and give them the Peace sign......it always gets a chuckle from the driver. My Licence plate says Namaste its Hindi for My soul greets your soul. I was coming out of the hospital once and a very sweet florist pointed at my plate and bowed. I beemed all day!

no new posts