Your opinion of bill 147

GImojo

Apr 10, 2006
Hey guys, it's my first time here

I just want to know what your opinions are on bill 147. Wether you were for or against it and then maybe a little explaination why. It would help me greatly, thanks

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
GImojo said:

I just want to know what your opinions are on bill 147. Wether you were for or against it and then maybe a little explaination why. It would help me greatly, thanks

What's that?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Said1 said:
GImojo said:

What's that?

Good question. What bill 147?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
RE: Your opinion of bill

In this neck of the woods, Bill 147 was viewed as a way to increase the call centre culture which has emerged in recent years. I say this because London is home to more call centres than one can shake a stick at. U.S. corporations, mainly, have moved in and view us as educated Mexicans. With these corporations comes U.S. style management and attitudes which for me personally are repugnant. Ironically enough, these practices have managed to tear through the quality workforce in a matter of a few years and now these places are having a hard time finding qualified, competant workers because of their treatment of employees.

The long n short of it is this, the 'Common Sense Revolution' stuck it to us Ontarians in more ways than simply ravaging social programs, education and downloading costs to municipalities.

(i really hope you meant Ontario Labour Law Bill 147, if not please disregard this post :p )

GImojo

Apr 10, 2006
the bill that allows employers to make people work 60 hour weeks instead of 40 hours.

im really glad to see responses. I appreciate everything here. We're debating stuff in class, and Bill 147 is coming up in 2 days. I thought i'd get a upper hand and see what fellow citizens have to say about bill 147.

thanks again guys :D:D

JonB2004

Council Member
Mar 10, 2006

I don't like this bill. It would mean that employers can make people work 12 hours a day. People already have problems working 8 hours a day.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Your opinion of bill

Canucklehead said:
In this neck of the woods, Bill 147 was viewed as a way to increase the call centre culture which has emerged in recent years. I say this because London is home to more call centres than one can shake a stick at. U.S. corporations, mainly, have moved in and view us as educated Mexicans. With these corporations comes U.S. style management and attitudes which for me personally are repugnant. Ironically enough, these practices have managed to tear through the quality workforce in a matter of a few years and now these places are having a hard time finding qualified, competant workers because of their treatment of employees.

The long n short of it is this, the 'Common Sense Revolution' stuck it to us Ontarians in more ways than simply ravaging social programs, education and downloading costs to municipalities.

(i really hope you meant Ontario Labour Law Bill 147, if not please disregard this post :p )

London ontario?

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Re: RE: Your opinion of bill

Jay said:
Canucklehead said:

London ontario?

The one and only; Old South.... N. London for you, n'est-ce pas?

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I must have asked you that before.

I wouldn't say London is full of call centers though....

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005

Yes, you mentioned you were from 'the North' last summer so I guessed you hadn't moved.

I know we have/had 38 call centres in town of varying sizes as of November when I last spoke with a former co-worker who is a centre manager and far too up on the topic for his own good. :lol: If I remember from the Free Press, there were something like another 1000 or so positions added, or soon to be, over the past(coming) couple of months in addition to the several thousand positions we already have in town. I dunno, maybe that isn't many but it seems a lot to me /shrug

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
There are call centers here for sure, we just have to be careful not to portray London as a call center town...were in Ontario, not one of the "eastern" provinces! :lol: :p

fuzzylogix

Council Member
Apr 7, 2006
Just what I need---more work!!!!

I dont know what the wording of the bill is... is it the same bill that allows you to retire later to encourage people to keep working till they're dead. I sure dont plan to do that.

I think it is very misguided to increase the work week. We all ready have a society that is stressed to the limit with the resulting increases in health problems and social problems, eg divorce, child abuse. the government is worried about a labour shortage- allow more immigration. I am not clear- if you work these longer hours, is it now not overtime, so the company gets away with not having to pay you as much?

People think that allowing a longer work week with more pay will stimulate the economy. Not necessarily. When people have more leisure time, they spend more money.

Also, if you have a company that needs more hours covered in a week, hire more workers, and thereby lower unemployment rates.

I think the government should go the other way, make it easier to get benefits with part time jobs, so that those extra work hours in the week can be given to someone as a job, not to an all ready stressed out worker.