Canada's best university

JonB2004
I'm trying to figure out which university I want to go to. Could you give me your opinion on which you think is the best university in Canada?

glossprincess
I'm gonna be studying at Universite Laval in Quebec in a few years time! It's supposed to be a good one! But I'm guessing, you're gonna want to go to a uni in English Canada, eh? Cant help ya out there, mate. Sowee

JonB2004
I heard the University of British Columbia is pretty good.

Said1
I go to Carleton, it's alright.

I've heard good things about Ottawa University.

What are you planning to study?

Jersay
I would say Simon Frasier.

Or the University of Toronto.

And if you want a small university then there are a few.

fuzzylogix
Hi JonB- guess it depends what you are wanting to go into as most universities have some area of presumed expertise. And I say presumed, because I think in the end, it is the getting of the degree and subsequent experience that matters... I really know few employers who particularly care about the university itself. Far more important that it is in a place you like, so youll be happy and work hard to get good marks.

JonB2004
I want to be a tax lawyer. And I want to study at a big name university but without a price tag that's going to kill me.

Jersay
My dad went to Simon Fraiser when it just started and its now a well known university and I am sure its not too expensive.

However UOT might be expensive.

Said1
Carleton isn't bad for price, reputation. Lots of employment opportunity in Ottawa. :laugh:

fuzzylogix
Quote: Originally Posted by JonB2004

I want to be a tax lawyer. And I want to study at a big name university but without a price tag that's going to kill me.

Oh.. oh dear.... now I know not to mention all those "loopholes" I'm using... just kidding...

Are you in BC- if you wanted to go to a good school, Queen is good and pretty cheap to live in being a small university town.

aperion
mcgill
and youd get to live in a really cool city

JonB2004
Yeah, I've been thinking about going to McGill because I love Montreal.

Finder
The only real University in Canada is UoT. I think UBC is making some progress though.

aperion

Yeah, I've been thinking about going to McGill because I love Montreal.

what are you planning to major in

JonB2004
What do you mean? I don't exactly know how all this diploma and degree stuff works.

aperion
well at the under graduate you have to basically choose what you want to study-- generally-- like arts and sciences, business, engineering etc
if you are say interested in say-- medicine as a careee-- you would probably have to major in-- that is study a biological science -- for 3-4 years-- to get your BSC-- your bachelor of science degree --then apply to medical school-- thats another 4 years

when people say they majored in something they mean what they studied-- ie i majored in say psychology---
sometimes you can combine your degrees-- so you may want yo study philosophy for 2 thirds of you courses and one third say-- english literature-- so you say you majored in philosophy with a minor in english lit

all this is irrelevant unless you know WHAT you want to study--- you just dont GO to university you have to choose a field of study

Toro

University of Toronto.

Seriously.

UofT.

Best law/business school in Canada.

JonB2004
I want to major in law and get a minor in accounting.

Toro
Where you from Jon?

You don't really "major" in law in Canada. You go to undergraduate school, then you get accepted into law.

aperion
oops-- ive got you all confused about the major minor thing-- those refer only to undergraduate degrees

its not my field-- but i think what you want is an undergraduate degree in business-accounting and then on to law school--

i think university of london has the best rep for business-- after that apply to u of t for law school-- very competative though-- need great marks-- a very long haul