Energy Crises Solved

Sublime
If we can clone such complex organizims like a living sheep.
Why don't we just clone Crude Oil.

Sassylassie
Sassy smacking herself in the forhead, I too have wondered why, me thinks the Oil Industry buys the patient rights.

FiveParadox
I think (quite possibly entirely incorrect) that cloning requires an organic something or other. lol.

P.S. : Sassylassie, are you afraid of PMs or something? :P

Sublime
Will you stop joking it makes my posts look even more foolish then they already look.

But seriously, what is stopping a pharmaceutical company from doing this and making more money than there are tree's to cut down and turn into money.....wait.......WHAT????

U know what I mean.

I think it's fear of the Evil Oil Corporations, kinda like that movie about the guy who tried to make a better safer car, but the big three car companies threatened his life ad everyone he ever knew or loved.

Sassylassie
Nasty, nasty. I wasn't joking, one can take out a patient on things that have not even made it to conception. i.e. I can take out a patient on a space time machine and sit back and wait until someone designs one and voila it's mine. I own the patient. Haven't you been following the Black Berry saga.

Sublime
I know a certain English Profeesor who's Son worked on the BlackBerry's design he's a machanical engineer, BB's are 100% pure evil, if you have one get rid of it now before it's too late!

I'm serious!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think not
BlackBerries are evil, like cell phones, everybody can get in touch with you at any time.

dekhqonbacha
Quote: Originally Posted by Sublime

I don't think it's possible.

Alberta'sfinest
They can make oil. It's just very expensive and energy intesive to make it. There is also a loss in efficiency aswell. We don't just need oil, we need oil that is cheap relative to the cost of living, or it's useless to us. Large countries with small populouses like here in Canada could easily replace fuel with alcohol for our cars, but the rest of the world doesn't share this luxury and will suffer because of it.

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by dekhqonbacha

Quote: Originally Posted by Sublime

I don't think it's possible.

Oil is not a living organism, so it can't be cloned. Oil is the byproduct of deceased living organisms over many thousands of years; it is a complex hydrocarbon.

And lassie, I'm assuming you mean "patent", not "patient".

Oil corps are not all evil, they're simply corporations that are trying to make money. And doing well at it, I might add. The trick is to find alternate sources of energy, not just find more oil. There is no good reason not to have more nuclear energy, for example.

Alberta'sfinest
There is a good reason not to build more nuclear plants. The first being that we need chemically stored energy, not electrical energy. In fact, if we built more nuclear plants, the market would be flooded by the new source, lowering the cost of electricity itself, making the nuclear energy more expensive to generate than the income it would create. It's all about keeping supplies only 3-5% higher than demand.
We need oil, and there is no substitute that can be used in the necessary catalytic reactions it's used for, as in plastic and pesticide production. The biggest problem with oil is that it's necessary for our mass food production techniques and its transportation. Wastefulness like creating little trinkets to sell at Wal-mart is jeopordizing availability of oil to be used for necessary production. When cars were first built people ran them on alcohol and cooking oil, depending on whether it was a dieseling engine or a spark ignition engine. We switched to oil to create gasoline and diesel fuel because the use of food crops for fuel was driving up the prices of food. Cheap food keeps human production levels high. As fuel starts to become more expensive, we can't just switch over back to alcohol and cooking oil, and our mass transit that is essential to the western world will no longer be viable. This is going to be a major nation shaping phenomenon that will create problems far beyond an expensive commute, and the effects on our economy will be catastrophic. There is no real solution either, so we're going to have to just ride it out and fight over the resources and land necessary to sustain without it. Someones going to get the shaft, so it's going to get ugly.

TenPenny
Actually, you're half correct; using oil as a fuel is a waste of the hydrocarbons that could be used for other things, like plastics; we should save all of our used plastics in landfills until we can develop better technologies to recycle them.

Nuclear power is the logical choice for electricity.