Mayan Rivieria - Recommendations?

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
I'm thinking of going to Mexico Maya Riveria around May. Anyone have any recommendations of which All Inclusive resort to go to?

My only criteria are:
1. 4 stars or higher
2. Ocean view or beach view with terrace or balcony.

Oh, and the resort has to have good food. The more a la carte restaurants the better.

Also, which travel agent did you book with?

Thanks.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
We stayed at the El Dorado Royale last year and it was fantastic... not sure how it fared in the hurricane though.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Re: RE: Mayan Rivieria - Recommendations?

Amik said:
We stayed at the El Dorado Royale last year and it was fantastic... not sure how it fared in the hurricane though.

Wow, I checked the prices on that resort and it is expensive! How was the room? View? Food?

Thanks.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
The rooms were awesome. So was the food and the view. Jaccuzis in all the rooms, huge walk in marble shower.. I felt like royalty. We had actually booked to go back there this year, but changed our minds once the hurricane hit, I just couldn't imagine that it would be the same as it was. We went to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta instead, and I was disappointed. It was $500 less, and still rated as a 4+ star, but the difference was immeasurable. Next year, I'll go back to the El Dorado in the Mayan.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
Oh.. and the biggest difference is.. it's adults only. Last year was the first time we tried an adults only and it was well worth it! This year we hit spring break and I love kids, but they damn near ruined our vacation. They were totally out of control, 15/16 yr olds drinking and fighting all night. They took over the pools, the restaurants, the beach... The chaperones didn't show up until the hotel had to call an ambulance and the police one night because a pile of kids got into a fight with broken beer bottles.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
RE: Mayan Rivieria - Reco

Yikes! I guess I will have to avoid vacations during spring break! I never thought it would be that bad with the kids but I guess when you add alchohol and ego you get bad news...

Thanks for the information.

Amik

Electoral Member
Mar 21, 2006
"Thanks for the information."

You're quite welcome.. let me know where you decided to go and how it works out. I've talked to several people who got back from the Mayan Riviera and said there was no discernible damage except that the beaches were bigger 8) (Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me)

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
Amik said:
"Thanks for the information."

You're quite welcome.. let me know where you decided to go and how it works out. I've talked to several people who got back from the Mayan Riviera and said there was no discernible damage except that the beaches were bigger 8) (Doesn't sound like much of a problem to me)

I got a good price on the Royal Porto Real which is located near Playa Del Carmen so that is where I'm staying. This is my first trip to Mexico and also my first All-Inclusive anything so I'm really looking forward to it.

I've read some posts on the Internet about the taxi drivers at the airport trying to get you into their taxis and such and basically will grab the luggage right out of your hands. How bad is this? I really haven't planned how I'm going to get from the airport to the resort yet. Any suggestions?

Thanks.