PLease Help.

nibbles19
I don't understand this quote, if anyone does I would appreciate the help!!

"what is popular, is not always right. What is right, is not always popular"

thanks! xoxo

Jay
Since this seems simple to me, how about you tell me what part of this your having troub'e with.

darkbeaver
It means that things that are cheap and easy are often accepted and consumed by the majority, but things that are expensive and hard are very often not persued by the masses because they require to much effort.
Might dosn,t mean right.
The advice of the multitude cost nothing and is worth just that.

Dexter Sinister
Welcome to the forums Nibbles19. A word of advice though: not a good plan to start the same thread in two different forums. You're unlikely to get any better response, and it's likely to draw a mild rebuke from the moderators. At least, it'll be mild the first time...

That quote seems self-evident to me, I don't see how you could not understand it. It's an old Zen koan, and in that context I take it to mean that the popularity or unpopularity of an idea has nothing to do with its truth or falsity.

Cosmo
True Dexter ... I already locked the other one. She just ought to be glad Haggis is away or it would be off to the torture chamber with her for sure!

Jay
Her?

Is it the "nibbles" part?

Cosmo
Na, Jay ... Nibbles19 started two threads on the same topic. We won't have her drawn and quartered for the first offence, tho.

snoop
I think that it means that the fact that everyone agrees regarding something doesn't makes it a true statement.

Sassylassie
My analogy: "What is popular, is not always right", hum-todays blue jeans' styles are popular but the fact that half of ones *** hangs out isn't right.

"What is right, is not always popular"-giving money to a homeless drunk so he can buy more wine.

TenPenny
What is popular is not always right.
For example, Canadians like Medicare, and the right doesn't.

What is right is not always popular.
For example, Harper didn't win a majority.

cortez
LOL TenPenny

Nibbles 19 if I may be so bold,I think Snoop has it exactly.

Nuggler
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny

What is popular is not always right.
For example, Canadians like Medicare, and the right doesn't.

What is right is not always popular.
For example, Harper didn't win a majority.

Wish I'd thought of that. May I use it??

Damn, that's good.

no new posts