Would you rather living in a country where......

Sublime

Electoral Member
Mar 8, 2006
Toronto
It's citizen's get prosecuted for burning it's flag because it's un-nationalistic.

OR

Or one where it's citizens are free to burn that flag, in showcasing freedom.

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I find Flag burning to be hateful and disrespectful, it represents this country and by burning it it insults me and those who have died for this country. Those who want to protest and burn something set your pants on fire, there yours and not a symbol of something I respect.

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's a piece of cloth. Under certain circumstances, some may see fit to deface the flag in the interest of a protest. I find the practice distasteful and reprehensible; however, I do not think that doing so should constitute a crime under the Criminal Code of Canada.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I realize this is not applicable in Canada, but I agree with the US Supreme Court decision in Texas vs. Johnson.

Johnson (a resident of Texas) burned the American flag in protest, he was taken to court and the Texas Supreme Court ruled in favor of the state to ban flag burning. Johnson took the case to the US Supreme Court, they had a different approach:

“If there is a bedrock principle underlying the First Amendment, it is that the government may not prohibit the expression of an idea simply because society finds the idea itself offensive or disagreeable.”

I personally don't like it either, but I would rather live in a place where it is permitted.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
The American Constitution should be amended to include a "flag protection" article. That will teach flag burners....won't it ITN?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What would happen, then, if that caused the Constitution to violate another article in the Constitution? Can a Constitution violate itself? Which article would take priority?

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Not only would it violate the American principle of unlimited and unabridged free speech, but it would be confusing to have contradictory articles thrown into the same piece of legislation. It would probably be a nightmare for the Supreme Court of the United States of America.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: Would you rather living in a country where......

I think not said:
Jay said:
The American Constitution should be amended to include a "flag protection" article.

No, it shouldn't.

Flag burner. :D

FiveParadox

Governor General
Dec 20, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That's not unconstitutional either, I think not — although I will subsequently blind you with all the colours of the rainbow until you memorize and sing God Save the Queen. :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I think not said:
Keep it up Jay and I just might light up an effigy of the Queen :p

That's because your mean and you hate the Queen and the flag! :p

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Sorry. I get carried away, and next thing you know....

Wiskycoo

Mar 24, 2006
I see flag burning of the country you live in as treasonous and should be prosecuted...but to burn someones elses flag...sure go ahead. :D

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's great that new members read the old threads and drag them out every so often. I almost forgot ITN was a Queen hating flag burner...thanks for the reminder! :p