Woman drives.....whilst applying make-up.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Britain has the safest roads in the Western World. Quite amazing, considering we have so many women drivers......

LONDON (Reuters) - North Wales police couldn't believe their eyes when a camera at a notorious accident spot caught a driver using both hands to put on her make-up.

Donna Maddock, 22, was filmed as she drove along the A499, one of Britain's most dangerous roads. She held a mirror in her left hand and an eye pencil in her right, leaving the steering wheel to itself.

Wednesday, she was fined 200 pounds ($350) with 55 pounds costs and had six penalty points added to her driving license after admitting careless driving at Pwllheli magistrates court.

"A car is a dangerous lump of metal in the wrong hands. You need to be in control at all times, and Miss Maddock's actions beggars belief," said Inspector Essi Ahari in a statement.

A police spokeswoman said the camera had been set up because of the large numbers of collisions and deaths on that stretch of road.

"It is to catch speeding drivers. But when officers saw the film of her applying her makeup it was also obvious that she was committing a careless act," she said.

today.reuters.com . . .

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Yeah.

I saw an interview years ago with two OPP officers about people doing silly things on the 401.

Reading, applying make-up, and practising the bagpipes !!!!! (Haggis, why would you do that?) were three they listed. All of which were outdone by the revelation by one officer that the other had actually answered a call to a car roll-over. Nobody was hurt, the driver (alone) had been CHANGING HER PANTYHOSE while driving.

Here's the cruncher.

Seems she was a comely lass, so instead of ticketing her, the officer exercised his discretion and sentenced her to have dinner with him.

He is now married to her.

It is an ill wind..........

Seriously, if you ever worked on road crews flagging, you soon lose patience for people driving while distracted. It is idiotic.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
That's why there are many more deaths on Canadians roads each year than on British roads despite Canada having a population half the size of Britain's.

In Britain, it's illegal to use a mobile phone (cell phone) whilst driving.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Gunslinger wrote:
Ha! Only applying make-up!

I can talk on my cell phone whilst drinking a Coke, having a burger, reading the newspaper whilst listening to tunes and a friend.

Alberta combats that sort of behavior though. I've seen it myself. They give all their bad drivers yellow license plates.