What do you do for a living and why do you do it.

Simpleton
Quote: Originally Posted by neone

Quote: Originally Posted by Simpleton

Finally, I do not collect pogey. Oddly enough, I've never collected pogey in my life. Hmmm, makes me want to reconsider the value of such a tax. :P

You dropped out of school, don't have a job, not even looking for a job and you don't collect EI? So then the only conclusion one can draw is that you still live with your parents. Please please don't tell me you live in their basement. I can tell from your other posts you're left leaning politically, and I'm so damn tired of running across liberals who repersent other lefties in such a bad light.

The only excuse I will accept is if you're 16 and still haven't figured out that you have to work to live.

That's the only conclusion that you can draw? Well, let me help you out with a slightly longer list:

- Retired
- Disability
- Workers Compensation
- Welfare
- Wealthy
- Inheritance
- Lottery winner
- Inmate
- Investments

I'm sure there's a bunch of others as well. As for me, I like to think of myself as being in the ninth, seventh, and first categories. :P

Oh, and I don't have left leaning political views. I am opposed to excessive taxation to fund niche social services. I am strongly anti-corruption. I place family above community. And, finally, I don't believe that anybody has the right to a free ride on my coat tails.

neone

That's the only conclusion that you can draw? Well, let me help you out with a slightly longer list:

- Retired
- Disability
- Workers Compensation
- Welfare
- Wealthy
- Inheritance
- Lottery winner
- Inmate
- Investments

I'm sure there's a bunch of others as well. As for me, I like to think of myself as being in the ninth, seventh, and first categories. :P

Oh, and I don't have left leaning political views. I am opposed to excessive taxation to fund niche social services. I am strongly anti-corruption. I place family above community. And, finally, I don't believe that anybody has the right to a free ride on my coat tails.

My second guess was a retired disabled person who's currently serving time for lying and trying to collect both welfare and workers comp and for not declaring his investments and winnings on the Lotto 649.

:P

Simpleton

- Retired
- Disability
- Workers Compensation
- Welfare
- Wealthy
- Inheritance
- Lottery winner
- Inmate
- Investments

My second guess was a retired disabled person who's currently serving time for lying and trying to collect both welfare and workers comp and for not declaring his investments and winnings on the Lotto 649.

:P

As I've said time and time again, I didn't lie about anything. I am not a crook. :P

s_lone
I just graduated in Music/Electroacoustics (Bachelor). In the fall I'll be taking a few additional courses in Computation Arts.

I play, record and compose music. I'm at the precise point in my life where I need to find a job where I'll be decently paid for what I am good at. I'm thinking of giving a shot at the video game industry this fall. A lot going on in that field in Montreal.

Simpleton

Finally, I do not collect pogey. Oddly enough, I've never collected pogey in my life. Hmmm, makes me want to reconsider the value of such a tax. :P

You dropped out of school, don't have a job, not even looking for a job and you don't collect EI? So then the only conclusion one can draw is that you still live with your parents. Please please don't tell me you live in their basement. I can tell from your other posts you're left leaning politically, and I'm so damn tired of running across liberals who repersent other lefties in such a bad light.

The only excuse I will accept is if you're 16 and still haven't figured out that you have to work to live.

Do you think that I represent lefties in a bad light? How so?

I really don't know whether to take that as a compliment or an insult. I mean, I'm not a lefty. So, if I'm not a lefty, and I represent lefties in a bad light, then that would be a good thing? Right?

Although, had I actually been a lefty, and I were representing my fellow lefties in a bad light, then you, as a fellow lefty, would have something of an obligation to point out the error of my ways. Would I be wrong in making such an assumption?

gopher
I'm underemployed because I have no other choice.

emmapeel
What--> Probation Officer

Why--> Why people break laws interests me, and I didn't want to do 7 years of school for behavioural psychology. Flat-out interviewing convicted people is good enough for me. Then addressing their behaviour of course, and referring them to the proper channels to get help.

I like it.

iARTthere4iam
I'm an artist. I quit my job in february to start my own business doing portraits making signs. I got sick of doing the thinking of incompetent bosses. I'm a ****ty salesman but i'm learning fast. Can't wait to go bankrupt. I love it.

bignick
I use the bathroom 1 & 2

umm Check out the latest ck ads yeah thats me
www.helloskyscraper.ca (external - login to view)

The guy w/ the hair dook is sve styles a photographer.

Vereya
I just came back to work from vacation. And you know what? My boss is actually making me work!

Isn't that outrageous?!

ROBDOG
I DRIVE A TRUCK, TO ME IT'S A CAREER IT GIVES ME A GOOD FEELING TO KNOW I'M PLAYING A VITAL ROLL IN THE COUNTRY'S ECONOMY. IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE BUT I LIKE IT DONE IT FOR 14 YEARS AND STILL LOOK FORWARD TO TOMORROW. (NOT EVERYONE CAN SAY THAT ABOUT THERE JOB)

super☆man
I have no direction in all honesty. because my major is not so popular . I usually worry about my major of Art. You know the major which distressed me is not a good specialty. I dare not forecast my future . now the job seems very hard to me . and the company usually be unable to invite applications for the specialty. who show me what I can do now

hermanntrude
I am currently a research chemist at a university.

very soon I will be nothing. I'm moving to a place with 85% unemployment. Possibly there will be jobs to do but nothing to pay people with... I may do volunteer work or I may end up wandering around naked at home trying to tell the voices things.

I'm a little scared

Riyko
I have a job now... i do something (not going to say what) and it's a good paying job that I don't even need college for =D. I'm still going to college and the job is going to pay for it when I start.

CFS
I'm currently self employed, and still kinda deciding what I want to be when I grow up.... LOL.....

I'm involved with several school things, activities for school, and also am the president of our local chamber of Commerce.

cortex
Quote: Originally Posted by s_lone

I just graduated in Music/Electroacoustics (Bachelor). In the fall I'll be taking a few additional courses in Computation Arts.

I play, record and compose music. I'm at the precise point in my life where I need to find a job where I'll be decently paid for what I am good at. I'm thinking of giving a shot at the video game industry this fall. A lot going on in that field in Montreal.

Congrats!!!

You are doing what i wanted to do but didnt have the guts to.
So electronic music production has become my big hobby. Ive built a small studio in my bedroom . G5 Mac running emagic logic with tons of plug ins---pluggo by cycling 74. and ive got the entire native instruments soft synth collection--absynth and reactor are my favorites.--also GRM tools running on an older version. Ive basically got about 50 gigs of my own weird heavily processed samples so far--and plan to some day dump them onto a sampler and actually compose something.
i thought i would enjoy music more if i kept it as a hobby rather than a career--having to worry about how to make money from it--problem is without a deadline its really hard to FINISH compositions.

Its great you want to work in the video game industry --and that will probably pay the bills --but with your background there simply isnt any excuse not to actually compose some serious art music--shoot for being the next Stockhausen

oh yeah---got to mention metasynth by u and i software--very cool program.

muzzymoe
I work with environmental product that saves 20% in fuel costs!
plus cuts emissions 50%! anyone want in?

muzzymoe
sales

lady_hawk_ca
I teach English as a foreign language to kids (and adults but I prefer children) and I love it, especially when you see the lightbulb (as I call it) come on and they finally understand. It's a wonderful feeling of accomplishment.

ponygurl
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

I'm a nurse. I do it because I love it. It is the hardest and most rewarding thing I've ever done.

It's a bonus that I've been able to travel around Canada and parts of the US doing it Maybe I'll head to the UK in a few years and try it there.

Hi Tracy.. I am currently a nursing student, at the ripe old age of 41. As a single mom of 4 kids, this is the hardest thing I"VE ever done.. so God , please don't tell me it gets harder!

What prompted you to travel and relocate? Are you a Canadian living in the US? Many of my younger classmates are chomping at the bit to get to the US when we graduate.. but that's not really an option for me.

And one more nosy question.. what kind of nursing do you do now and what have you done? I absolutley loved my psych rotation, and they are VERY short staffed on psychiatric floors, but our professors tell us we lose skills we have developed , and never fully develop other skills if we become pysch nurses, and I can see how that would be so.

maepaulino
I am currently a web designer, I love web designing and that's about it...

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by ponygurlView Post

Hi Tracy.. I am currently a nursing student, at the ripe old age of 41. As a single mom of 4 kids, this is the hardest thing I"VE ever done.. so God , please don't tell me it gets harder!

What prompted you to travel and relocate? Are you a Canadian living in the US? Many of my younger classmates are chomping at the bit to get to the US when we graduate.. but that's not really an option for me.

And one more nosy question.. what kind of nursing do you do now and what have you done? I absolutley loved my psych rotation, and they are VERY short staffed on psychiatric floors, but our professors tell us we lose skills we have developed , and never fully develop other skills if we become pysch nurses, and I can see how that would be so.

Hi Ponygurl Unfortunately, it does get harder in some ways, easier than others. I remember the anguish of being a student and I am so glad those days are behind me!!! I am a Canadian working in the US, and I really like it here. I worked in BC and Ontario before coming to California. You're getting into a crazy career, but I still love it and can't imagine doing anything else. I left BC after a nasty round of contract negotiations with the government. I was getting burned out and sick of feeling disrespected. Toronto seemed like an exciting place, so I went. I enjoyed working there, but didn't like the weather much, so I decided on California. It's great down here, not perfect, but I really do like it.

I work Neonatal ICU, but I've also worked OB (L&D, PP, antepartum). I hated my psych rotation, but oddly enough most of my nursing school friends went into psych when they graduated. I heard the same spiel about specializing when I was in nursing school and it's bull if you ask me. If you love psych and only want to work psych, who cares if you lose some med-surg skills? You develop skills that matter for your specialty. Plus sick people wind up in psych wards too so you will get exposure to diseases. If you spend years in any specialty you do lose med-surg skills, that's a given. After 10 years in psych, it really won't matter if you did a year of med-surg as a new grad or not. I think too many nursing instructors are stuck in the mentality of the 80s where every nurse had to start on med-surg. It isn't like that anymore, especially down here in the US. I went almost straight into L&D and despite the warnings of some nursing instructors, it didn't impact me negatively at all. I learned the skills I needed to work L&D and was exposed to med-surg illnesses at the same time. Then I went into NICU and it's waaaaaaaayyyyy more skill heavy than anything I would have done on med-surg. I've received several offers to train into adult ICU because of my NICU experience and am also considering a move to the OR. Down here, the notion that new grads have to start in med-surg is seen as old fashioned. I know NICU managers who prefer new grads to nurses with adult experience.

The only piece of advice I would give you that was great for me is write the NCLEX when you graduate. You may think you won't go to the US but if you ever want to, it's best to have that exam done when you're a new grad and all the specialties are fresh in your mind. Your situation might change in 10 years. I know a lot of nurses who just do short term contracts in the US and then return to Canada. It's great for things like saving for a car or a kid's college tuition.

How close are you to graduation?
Last edited by tracy; Sep 29th, 2006 at 05:57 PM..

CDNBear
I fabricate custom items out of steel. I specialize in Stainless steel now, but I have welded in or on Aluminium, Brass, Pig Iron, and plain ol' steel. In all kinds of places, from thousands of feet under the earth, to the tops of Skyscrapers, in more then a dozen countries and in all kinds of weather.

I do it, cause I love it. I think it's in my blood too. My lil brother does it, and all but 4 of my cousins.

Dalreg
I am currently sans job! New job will start in November in Australia. I will be working for a farm machinery manufacturer. In the plant foreman position. Can't wait!

bogie
'Work from home' type of guy. Been doing it for many years. Commute is short ... stagger down the stairs to my cave in the morning (walk-out thank goodness, so I do get to see the light of day). Day starts at about 6 a.m.

All Internet-based: Financial Services Industry Continuing Education - one of the largest in Canada InfotrendsCanada.com, a new Canadian Health Insurance information and Wellness site AccidentAndSickness.com (external - login to view), and various Internet Marketing endeavours like GeeksNetwork.net (external - login to view). Seguing my webhosting and domain registration business GeeksMedia.com (external - login to view) over to a provider that I rep. No longer offer website design - just too busy to do that anymore.

One of my son-in-laws thinks I could remotely launch the space shuttle from my office :d

MattUK
I own an insurance Brokerage. Means I am my own boss, get lots of holiday time and I get to drive a nice fast car.

ponygurl
Quote: Originally Posted by tracyView Post

Hi Ponygurl Unfortunately, it does get harder in some ways, easier than others. I remember the anguish of being a student and I am so glad those days are behind me!!! I am a Canadian working in the US, and I really like it here. I worked in BC and Ontario before coming to California. You're getting into a crazy career, but I still love it and can't imagine doing anything else. I left BC after a nasty round of contract negotiations with the government. I was getting burned out and sick of feeling disrespected. Toronto seemed like an exciting place, so I went. I enjoyed working there, but didn't like the weather much, so I decided on California. It's great down here, not perfect, but I really do like it.
I work Neonatal ICU, but I've also worked OB (L&D, PP, antepartum). I hated my psych rotation, but oddly enough most of my nursing school friends went into psych when they graduated. I heard the same spiel about specializing when I was in nursing school and it's bull if you ask me. If you love psych and only want to work psych, who cares if you lose some med-surg skills? You develop skills that matter for your specialty. Plus sick people wind up in psych wards too so you will get exposure to diseases. If you spend years in any specialty you do lose med-surg skills, that's a given. After 10 years in psych, it really won't matter if you did a year of med-surg as a new...

Quote has been trimmed, See full post: View Post
Thanks for all the info Tracey.
I finish in April, complete my 400 hrs. consolidation, and then write my provincials in September.
Since I posted this I was tlaking to a nurse on the ward that started with the unit 25 years ago.. (I mean she started when the unit opened). She was in Obstetrics and left when a baby died in her arms.She's quite upfront with the fact that she couldn't handle that.
I know I'd never be able to do what you do. I've worked geriatrics a lot as a PSW, and understand that death happens regularly there, but I"m wise enough to know I'd burn out fast with sick children.

They have the study guide for the NCLEX in our campus bookstore as well and the one for our Provincial exam.Perhaps I"ll pick it up and have a boo.

My aim is to be gainfully employed in a fulltime job (which is quite the trick in Ontario) by the time my eldest daughter hits College herself.. and that's two years away.

wanda
Hey there,
The new forum looks great! I work full time at the Hospital and hubby is Regional Coroner here in NB. Besides our full time jobs, we're the Regional Dealers for M2C which deals with ACT Energy packets.

I'm on the Ryze Business network, drop by and sign my guestbook! Here's the link www.ryze.com/go/wanda951 (external - login to view)

Cheers,
Wanda

DaveyJones
Im a newbie here.

I work at the KSC (Kennedy Space Center) in Florida and live in Melbourne,Fl (about 30 miles south)

Why Do I do it?? I think where I work is self-explanatory.

Who would NOT want to work there??

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by DaveyJonesView Post

Im a newbie here.

I work at the KSC (Kennedy Space Center) in Florida and live in Melbourne,Fl (about 30 miles south)

Why Do I do it?? I think where I work is self-explanatory.

Who would NOT want to work there??

Yeah can't argue with you on that. Welcome to Canadian Content.

P.S. How many souls do you have in your locker?