What do you do for a living and why do you do it.

Vereya
I tried several different jobs. Right now I am a tech writer in a small software developing company. Going to work in my company was really a challenge. I am technically illiterate, and I used to know very little about computers and nothing about programming. I got hired just because they needed someone who could write well and who knew English well. The first two months it was so scary - every time my boss gave me a task, I used to sit and think that I will never be able to do it. However, it got easier by and by, right now I am even testing software products and feeling very proud about myself Another thing that was hard was having to work with men only. We've got 13 guys and only one girl - me. No one to gossip with, no one to discuss the girl stuff with... But I got used to that, too, and you know what? There are certain advantages to being the only girl around

Finder
Security Supervisor for an undisclosed financial company. lol.

I think not
A self employed capitalist pig. When the economy slumps, I make money, when the economy booms, I make money. The only industry that can do that.

Sassylassie
ITN me to! It's nice to have company isn't it.

I think not
Yep it is, aside from the long hours, it is rewarding in so many ways.

glossprincess
I'm a poor, struggling uni student! Doing my Bachelor of Business combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies

One day I'm gonna be a millionaire wedding planner who does all the celebrity shebangs!

Finder
Quote: Originally Posted by glossprincess

I'm a poor, struggling uni student! Doing my Bachelor of Business combined with a Bachelor of Arts in International Studies

One day I'm gonna be a millionaire wedding planner who does all the celebrity shebangs!

here I thought you were cute for a living.

glossprincess
And I thought you were a professional flirter!

Finder
Only with beautiful women such as yourself.

Daz_Hockey
I'm a graduate, well I graduated in november and have been off and on travelling since, my degree's in IT but you know what?, I'm not really that interested in the world of IT now, I'm doing a lot of photography and travel writing, so maybe when I've finished my travel's.......I might become a reporter, I dont know

glossprincess
Sounds like the life Daz! I cant wait to get some more travels under my belt!

Daz_Hockey
only problem with doing a lot of travelling glossprincess is the going home part, it's so depressing I tell ya!!!

glossprincess
Tell me about it! And the leaving home part, especially if its for a long time! My good friend left Sydney this afternoon to go back to Tunisia. We went out last night and had a big cry when saying goodbye!

But its all worth it in the end, I've made SO many awesome friends during my travels and the experiences you have along the way are priceless!

imaginarylion
I'm a student, but I don't get paid for doing that.

I work in a supermarket, in the deli mostly but on the checkouts sometimes as well. It's very strange but I love my job! I love food so it's perfect for me. When I start travelling, I plan to go to Europe and learn how to make smallgoods.. salamis and sausages and prosciutto and things... and come back home and open up my very own deli!

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by imaginarylion

I'm a student, but I don't get paid for doing that.

I work in a supermarket, in the deli mostly but on the checkouts sometimes as well. It's very strange but I love my job! I love food so it's perfect for me. When I start travelling, I plan to go to Europe and learn how to make smallgoods.. salamis and sausages and prosciutto and things... and come back home and open up my very own deli!

Hey good for you.

I backpacked through Europe after undergrad and ate in the delis all the time. Cheap and efficient for a young traveller.

Met about a billion Aussies too.

The conductor
I work for a commuter railway in Toronto. I have worked for them for the last 5 plus years.
It's a good job. Three weeks vacation a year, benefits, pension plan and work clothes and boots twice a year.
I work in the maintence department and basically I am a glorified garbage man. But I help alot of people to get where there going to and how to get there.
Also we are the eyes and ears where we work.

oliverperry
I am a chef in one of the leading restaurants in Burbank and I surf in the web at night. also I found our this cool site on which you guys and galz would like to meet. this ain't promoting or advertising but check this out
Link deleted. Spam. Cosmo

Mogz
What I do: I'm a Combat Support Signaller with the Canadian Army.

Why I do it: The old cliche; to serve my Country. I love Canada and think it's the best Nation on this planet. As such i've decided to serve the Government in whatever capacity they see fit. In my opinion, I do not think a Canadian can do a more noble job.

iamursh25
I'm a Computer Engineer.... I like designing for tomorrow's technology.

Delete spam

Simpleton
I am a professional bum. I collect welfare, sit around all day, drink beer, and smoke cuban cigars. I dropped out of school when I was nine, and I've been married and divorced six times. I'm on my second life, and I'm coming back as Napoleon in the next.

Okay, so I don't collect welfare. Nor do I drink beer. I don't smoke cigars... not yet. And I'm gainfully unemployed.

And you can make up the rest as you go along...

Said1
I'm a professional student, but do work part-time for a community centre serving the aboriginal community and for a high tech company. One of these days, I'll get rid of those pesky jobs.

Simpleton
Quote: Originally Posted by Said1

I'm a professional student, but do work part-time for a community centre serving the aboriginal community and for a high tech company. One of these days, I'll get rid of those pesky jobs.

A professional student? Are you one of those people that makes a living on a neverending series of student loans? You know what I mean? One of those people that will eventually die owing millions of dollars to OSAP?

KellyF
ladyjen345...you have my dream job!!!!!
I have read multiple book on project management and I have wanted to work for a non profit for a long time. I am even looking into opening my own non profit. A lot of work. Good for you lady. Hard work...very impressive.
I am an activist and volunteer, but to make money...I'm simply an Admin. Assistant.

Said1
Quote: Originally Posted by Simpleton

A professional student? Are you one of those people that makes a living on a neverending series of student loans? You know what I mean? One of those people that will eventually die owing millions of dollars to OSAP?

No. I pay cash because I'm gainfully employed.

Simpleton

No. I pay cash because I'm gainfully employed.

Gainfully employed in a part-time position? What school do you attend? An adult learning facility? Working on your high school equivalency?

How do you afford to pay cash for full-time tuition with only a part-time job? Oh, you're divorced. I forgot. You're sucking in money from the ex. Silly me.

Said1

Quote: Originally Posted by Said1Quote: Originally Posted by SimpletonQuote: Originally Posted by Said1I'm a professional student, but do work part-time for a community centre serving the aboriginal community and for a high tech company. One of these days, I'll get rid of those pesky jobs. A professional student? Are you one of those people that makes a living on a neverending series of student loans? You know what I mean? One of those people that will eventually die owing millions of dollars to OSAP?No. I pay cash because I'm gainfully employed.Gainfully employed in a part-time position? What school do you attend? An adult learning facility? Working on your high school equivalency?
How do you afford to pay cash for full-time tuition with only a part-time job? Oh, you're divorced. I forgot. You're sucking in money from the ex. Silly me.

Quote has been trimmed
I do not go to school full-time. I also wrote that I have TWO part-time jobs, that pay quite nicely. I also work about 30-35 hrs per week.

How about you, any employment prospects, degree or diploma in anything useful?

Simpleton

Quote: Originally Posted by SimpletonQuote: Originally Posted by Said1Quote: Originally Posted by SimpletonQuote: Originally Posted by Said1I'm a professional student, but do work part-time for a community centre serving the aboriginal community and for a high tech company. One of these days, I'll get rid of those pesky jobs. A professional student? Are you one of those people that makes a living on a neverending series of student loans? You know what I mean? One of those people that will eventually die owing millions of dollars to OSAP?No. I pay cash because I'm gainfully employed.Gainfully employed in a part-time position? What school do you attend? An adult learning facility? Working on your high school equivalency?How do you afford to pay cash for full-time tuition with only a part-time job? Oh, you're divorced. I forgot. You're sucking in money from the ex. Silly me.Quote has been trimmedI do not go to school full-time. I also wrote that I have TWO part-time jobs, that pay quite nicely. I also work about 30-35 hrs per week.
How about you, any employment prospects, degree or diploma in anything useful?

Quote has been trimmed
Quite right, you did say that you had two part-time jobs. I suppose I erroneously assumed that "professional student" entailed full-time enrollment in some academic institution. I would suggest that a part-time student could be classified as an "amateur" student at best.

As for me, I'm just sort of between slander at the moment. I guess I'm stuck with doing whatever it is that people say I'm doing. Even though there's no evidence to support their rather ridiculous claims.

But in all honesty, to answer your question, I am a high school dropout. Just as I have previously stated in other threads. I am presently unemployed and am not actively seeking employment. Actually, I'm not even passively seeking employment, but that's not really relevant. Therefore, I characterise myself as being "gainfully unemployed."

I guess I'm just one of those people that is forever choosing the path less travelled.

Said1

[

Quite right, you did say that you had two part-time jobs. I suppose I erroneously assumed that "professional student" entailed full-time enrollment in some academic institution. I would suggest that a part-time student could be classified as an "amateur" student at best.

Yes. The unemployed drop-out does know best.

Quote:

But in all honesty, to answer your question, I am a high school dropout. Just as I have previously stated in other threads. I am presently unemployed and am not actively seeking employment. Actually, I'm not even passively seeking employment, but that's not really relevant. Therefore, I characterise myself as being "gainfully unemployed."

There, there. Of course it's not relevant.

Quote:

I guess I'm just one of those people that is forever choosing the path less travelled.

Well, good luck with your path, I hope your pogey doesn't run out until the end of the summer. Until then, keep working on that post count. It's bound to pay off sooner rather than later.

Simpleton

Quote: Originally Posted by Simpleton[
Quite right, you did say that you had two part-time jobs. I suppose I erroneously assumed that "professional student" entailed full-time enrollment in some academic institution. I would suggest that a part-time student could be classified as an "amateur" student at best.Yes. The unemployed drop-out does know best.
Quote: But in all honesty, to answer your question, I am a high school dropout. Just as I have previously stated in other threads. I am presently unemployed and am not actively seeking employment. Actually, I'm not even passively seeking employment, but that's not really relevant. Therefore, I characterise myself as being "gainfully unemployed."There, there. Of course it's not relevant.
Quote: I guess I'm just one of those people that is forever choosing the path less travelled. Well, good luck with your path, I hope your...

Quote has been trimmed
Well, if you ever find yourself passing through Sarnia or Southwestern Ontario, you will soon realize that the unemployed dropout does indeed know best. Seems education and intelligence are not synonymous.

Well, it's not relevant. I'm not looking for work, just as you're looking to rid yourself of your "pesky jobs". Probably the essential difference will be that you will be required to reach the age of 65 before releasing yourself from employment.

Finally, I do not collect pogey. Oddly enough, I've never collected pogey in my life. Hmmm, makes me want to reconsider the value of such a tax. :P

Oh, your reference to post counts has me baffled. I believe this is something like my 311th post on these forums. By contrast, you are approaching your 3000th post. Personally, I don't think I'll even make it to 1000 posts. I have a rather telling history of "short-lives" on message forums.

I'm curious as to what you were implying by your post count statement however.

neone

Finally, I do not collect pogey. Oddly enough, I've never collected pogey in my life. Hmmm, makes me want to reconsider the value of such a tax. :P

You dropped out of school, don't have a job, not even looking for a job and you don't collect EI? So then the only conclusion one can draw is that you still live with your parents. Please please don't tell me you live in their basement. I can tell from your other posts you're left leaning politically, and I'm so damn tired of running across liberals who repersent other lefties in such a bad light.

The only excuse I will accept is if you're 16 and still haven't figured out that you have to work to live.