What do you do for a living and why do you do it.

Curiosity
Quote: Originally Posted by Colpy

I'm a rootin' tootin' gun totin' armoured car guard, and I do it because...........I'm crazy.

Used to be a school teacher (substitute). Hated it, and got paid $79.35 per day (with 2 degrees) for a maximum of 182 days a year. Do the math.

That was between 1991 and 1997. The wages didn't change in that time.

I like this job, I'm the boss once we leave our branch office, it's a very macho deal, I like the guys, and I've NEVER worked in an office in my life so.........

And I get to pack a gun.

Colpby

I feel bad for the kids you didn't have an influence on - I would love to have had a teacher like you.

The gun's kinda neat too tho....

Colpy
Quote: Originally Posted by Wednesday's Child

I'm a rootin' tootin' gun totin' armoured car guard, and I do it because...........I'm crazy.

Used to be a school teacher (substitute). Hated it, and got paid $79.35 per day (with 2 degrees) for a maximum of 182 days a year. Do the math.

That was between 1991 and 1997. The wages didn't change in that time.

I like this job, I'm the boss once we leave our branch office, it's a very macho deal, I like the guys, and I've NEVER worked in an office in my life so.........

And I get to pack a gun.

Colpby

I feel bad for the kids you didn't have an influence on - I would love to have had a teacher like you.

The gun's kinda neat too tho....

Thank you, WC, very nice of you to say.

Teaching requires a certain set of character traits, some of which I am sorely lacking, for instance the ability to take abuse from both above and below without either strangling somebody or imploding.

Teaching stressed me out so badly my back hurt all the time. I thought I was developing serious back trouble, then when I left, it disappeared. The pain I mean, not my backbone.

Stressed you think maybe?

I get such a kick out of those who go on about how easy teachers have it, without ever facing 35 hormone-over-loaded 14 year old kids for seven hours a day.

Curiosity
Colpy

Were you also a strolling teacher - going up and down the desk rows?

Because if you were - you were bending down constantly while on your feet - without support - while being tense.

I don't see how people can take on the class numbers and feel okay getting the message out there....but many do and I congratulate them. I am a one on one kinda person - making sure my young "victim" gets what I am trying to impart....That is if they are seeking knowledge from me about whatever....and I have some answers to give.

I am not a teacher, but there is joy to see a kid light up with understanding when you know you've opened that window. The rewards are huge. But for a price.

Jersay
Colpy a teacher. I never would of thought of that.

It would of been cool if you could combine both jobs. That would be a lot of fun.

OpnSrc
Hey all,

I am what is called a "Utility Infrastructure Consultant"...
What is my job description:
Technical Services: I perform duties of instrument calibration and repair of items, eg. Flowloggers, Ultrasonic meters, insertion meters, etc. I also perform "builds", I custom build ATV units with either flame ionazation detectors (FID's), optical methane detectors, (OMD's) or remote methane leak detectors, (RMLD's). Under the this department I also perform Below Ground Utility Locates.
Water/Wastewater Services: My primary department - I find water leaks on municipal water mains and contractor owned water mains and a variety of misc. service lines though traditional methods including but not limited to; electro-sonic acoustic methods utilizing ground microphones, correlator units and step testing. I also am one of a handful worldwide that specializes in Helium Injection Tracer Gas Testing on water main which fail a hydrostatic test. I also install pressure loggers and flow meters. If that isn't enough to keep me busy, I adorn my body in chest waders, rubber gloves, safety harness and gas detector and crawl into some of the nastiest places on earth - sewer sytems and install sensors for depth, flow and velocity studies. This involves some very dirty work and confined space entry - many ways to die or become throughly disgusted, I will spare the details.
Environmental Services: And if I am not too busy with those other things I help out in this department conducting air quality surveys, surface emission analysis studies, methane gas leakage detection and monitoring programs.

And if all that isn't enough, I manage a small crew, train candidates in the above departments and do most of my own marketing.

I don't get paid nearly enough, but there is something about being the guy that municipalities/companies call when they can't figure out a problem. I assist in providing "Life Essentials" in a safe way to a huge demographic of people nation wide. My job has taken me around the globe and my favorite place in the world is western Canada. I love my job, it is unbeleivably gratifying to do, I am always doing something different everyday.

Just remember the next time you hang a log, drink a glass of water from the tap, do your dishes or breath air.. someone like me... maybe even me... was there to make sure you can do it and do it safely.

Edit: Spelling mistakes

ladyjen345
Hi, I am new to this forum as of right now.

I am a program coordinator for a non profit organization funded by the gov.

Nice to see a Canadian forum!

FiveParadox
Welcome to Canadian Content, ladyjen234!

Always nice to see new people about! I am happy to see that you have immersed yourself directly into the forum, and making an introduction by way of a contribution I look forward to conversing with you in the future. See you around!

Sassylassie
Welcome newbies. Opnsrc, wow impressive. I was so impressed with my ability to change my Screen Saver today, and than I read what you do.

Libra Girl
I am an Artist, I work from home mostly, depending on what the contract requires. Most of the Art I do is is more aligned with craftwork than sketchpad and pencil/paints; occasionally I am commissioned to do portraits.

cortez
i am a research neuroscientist- i work with hippocampal brain slices in tissue baths and measure composite aggregate neuroelectrical signals in response to patterned stimuli and how these are modified by various pharmacologically active substances( such a gaba-amino-butyric acid ( GABA ) and acetylcholine and many others) in an attempt to complete the neuroreceptor matrix map of the hippocampus- the part of our brain that is responsable for the incorporation of new memories and is one of the brain centers that fails in those who develop alzimers. i do it because i want to contribute to a material solution that explains how consciousness can appear to exist as a qualitatively different phenomena than the purely physico-chemical substrate that gives rise to it. as of late i have become bored with this tedious task and have resorted to the excesses of a lidquid diet- in my spare time seek out confrontational and surrealistic social interactions in an attempt to short circuit socially conditioned inhibitory neuronal dampers that i feel are despotically obscuring the nature of being.

ps- dare to believe

darkbeaver
I lay about all day smoking grass. Occassionally I roll over and contemplate the other side of the pond. Sometimes, infrequently I am engaged as a sheep shearer.

Finder
Corperate Security Supervisor
Also trying to get my foot into politics

cortez
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

"Nothing exciting, no novel (yet). "

Well let me know when you do write the novel.

I've always wanted to write a novel, but alas, I suck.

theres this weird novel writing competition held every november in the us--i forget the exact title---it think its national novel writing month. the idea is that you write 50,000 word novel from scratch but only in november not a day before or after
the idea is to encourage people like yourself to just to write a first draft no matter how crumy it is - because your in such a rush you just blurt out the novel without giving your internal censor the chance to nix your ideas, once you have a a first draft its the a matter of reworking it untill your happy. apperently there have already been sevveral people who have jump started their carreers as novelists with this approach.

appaerently the first draft of even the greatest of noveists is always crap

writing is rewriting as they say- but its that first draft thats the hardest hurdle for neophytes

if you really want to write a novel check it out

im definitely going to give it a shot......

its about a guy who joins this on line internet forum --and becomes obsessed with some of the characters that he feels
know him suspicously too well-- when finally tracks them down he discovers that .....................etc

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by cortez

Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

"Nothing exciting, no novel (yet). "

Well let me know when you do write the novel.

I've always wanted to write a novel, but alas, I suck.

theres this weird novel writing competition held every november in the us--i forget the exact title---it think its national novel writing month. the idea is that you write 50,000 word novel from scratch but only in november not a day before or after
the idea is to encourage people like yourself to just to write a first draft no matter how crumy it is - because your in such a rush you just blurt out the novel without giving your internal censor the chance to nix your ideas, once you have a a first draft its the a matter of reworking it untill your happy. apperently there have already been sevveral people who have jump started their carreers as novelists with this approach.

appaerently the first draft of even the greatest of noveists is always crap

writing is rewriting as they say- but its that first draft thats the hardest hurdle for neophytes

if you really want to write a novel check it out

Cool idea, thank for the info.

im definitely going to give it a shot......

its about a guy who joins this on line internet forum --and becomes obsessed with some of the characters that he feels
know him suspicously too well-- when finally tracks them down he discovers that .....................etc

Wow.......that's reassuring.

PoisonPete2
[quote="cortez"]i am a research neuroscientist- i work with hippocampal brain slices in an attempt to complete the neuroreceptor matrix map of the hippocampus- the part of our brain that is responsable for the incorporation of new memories and is one of the brain centers that fails in those who develop alzimers./quote]

Hey Cortez, don't give up your day job. We need your answers.

For the last 20 years I was a peace officer and I loved it because I felt I was making a positive impact in the lives of those I served. Now I'm down with disability related to hyppocampal / parietal under-activation and there is nobody to help me. I am putting together a sound lab so I can put four of my books into audio form. Going to try to self-publish on the web. Just trying to feel connected.

Nuggler
After many many years of being "a team player", "carrying the ball", "holding my end up"...... (easy there big guy ) I retired in 2003

I always did a little of what I do a lot of now, but now I do a lot more of it..........Unfortunately it's a function of age that it must be done more slowly. But since we don't have to back at any specific time, a canoe paddles just a well slowly as quickly even if it doesn't go on the car top as easily.

Fortunately, we (my wife and I), included our offspring in all our missadventures when they were kids, so they still like to come along now........"Can't get rid of em matter of fact" Means we don't have to split the wood.

So now, we spend our time painting, making music, I carve wood, enjoying the outdoors. Just wish we could live with a good quality life to about 120 or so.

Pretty much enjoying the trip as we take it.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by oldnugly

After many many years of being "a team player", "carrying the ball", "holding my end up"...... (easy there big guy ) I retired in 2003

Hmm, heh heh heh, did anybody explain the rules of the forum, the ones that involve being a team player and carrying the ball and holding your end up? Just kidding, oh how I hate all that rhetoric, I'll bet you're glad to be out of it.

You sound as though you're enjoying life the way it should be enjoyed, Oldie. I think a lot of people, when they get older, spend too much time focusing on what they can't do rather than what they can do. You set a helluva a good example.

I would love to know more about your canoeing adventures. I have been tempted for a long time to take it up, but know absolutely nothing about it.

cortez
[quote="PoisonPete2"]

i am a research Hey Cortez, don't give up your day job. We need your answers.

For the last 20 years I was a peace officer and I loved it because I felt I was making a positive impact in the lives of those I served. Now I'm down with disability related to hyppocampal / parietal under-activation and there is nobody to help me. I am putting together a sound lab so I can put four of my books into audio form. Going to try to self-publish on the web. Just trying to feel connected.

hey poison pete 2-- what kind of books do you write?.........

and im sorry i have to aaask youuuuu but what happened to poioson pete number 1????-- poisoned?

darkbeaver
I started my work life as a farm hand, then I worked on ships as a steward, deckhand, engineroom oiler, then I became an industrial mechanic (electromech) then I became an appliance repair person, then I got into domestic refridgeration, then I ran a portable sawmill, then I became a
botinist, now I,am retooling again to get into computer assisted draughting.

Toro
And darkbeaver is only 25!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

You're crazy, the kid's only 19! Right Beav?

Say, how are you liking that, working with CAD?

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

You're crazy, the kid's only 19! Right Beav?

Say, how are you liking that, working with CAD?

The mind is 19 but the flesh and bone is not nor will ever be again, and the CAD is getting there, I,ve got some math to catch up on this month, the book needs wheels. I don,t have to be really good at it, I just want to make the mistakes and the waste virtually rather than for real, the stuff I build isn,t very sophisticated and niether am I. 19 if I dream of 19 tonight I,ll feel 110 tomorrow.

PoisonPete2
[quote="cortez"][quote="PoisonPete2"]

hey poison pete 2-- what kind of books do you write?.........

and im sorry i have to aaask youuuuu but what happened to poioson pete number 1????-- poisoned?

One book is set in Ottawa in 1970, where several people share tales of their lives. Kind of like Baowolf, but with a lot of historical content (cos I studied history in Ottawa). In the book I name two of the trigger men on JFK. discuss the Diaspora of the Romany, a Viet Nam experience, and the drug culture in Copenhagen.

There is an illustrated child's adventure book based on the bedtime stories I told my son. Its got cave bears, mushroom people, Orcs and wizards.

There is a highschool 'sex romp' story that used 'Psychopathia Sexualis' as the content base. This was my cathersis.

There is a collection of a hundred poems ranging in style from Haiku to Epic.

With the onset of this brain anomoly, I have no more creative force, but find I can still edit for syntax and grammer (small chunks at a time).

At to the 'handle'. I went through public school with another Pete so we were called 'Pete and Repete' That morphed into 'Sweet Pete and Poison Pete' through highschool. Poison stuck to me but he died in a mining incident, so I added the '2' in his memory.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaver

19 if I dream of 19 tonight I,ll feel 110 tomorrow.

Whenever I see an old television show from the 60s, 70's or 80's, after not having seen it since that time, I notice that the characters who were all so very old in the show when it first aired have quite miraculously become very young. So you see, there is hope that you are, in fact, going backwards in age, and it is only a matter of time before you hit 19 once again. That's what is happening to me. The shows prove it, you see, that's my theory, and by god, I'm stickin' to it.

I admire the hell out of anybody who tackles CAD.

Colpy
COLPY'S VERY GOOD DAY

Well, what I do for a living just changed slightly. I just got a job a Branch Training officer for my armoured car company. I'll still be working the trucks, but will also be responsible for inspection of firearms, our new qualification testing (4 times a year), firearms training, etc.

Means these silly buggers are going to pay me to hang around a shooting range!

Got to love it.

I also MAY get a course at the S&W Academy staeside. That would be a couple of weeks of heaven.

Haggis McBagpipe
Hey! Congratulations, Colpy! It doesn't get much better than having a job doing what you enjoy doing.

Jay

COLPY'S VERY GOOD DAY

Well, what I do for a living just changed slightly. I just got a job a Branch Training officer for my armoured car company. I'll still be working the trucks, but will also be responsible for inspection of firearms, our new qualification testing (4 times a year), firearms training, etc.

Means these silly buggers are going to pay me to hang around a shooting range!

Got to love it.

I also MAY get a course at the S&W Academy staeside. That would be a couple of weeks of heaven.

Some people have horseshoes in thier bottoms! :P

dekhqonbacha
I am an operator of the mashine. I do it, because I need the money for my tuition fees.

Although I don't really like my job, I enjoy doing my it.

Riyko
Nothing right now. I haven't found a new job since I was released from my last one.

thecdn
I'm a Senior Programmer Analyst for the Florida Community College Software Consortium. Was mostly mainframe programming up till 6 months ago but now we are moving more of our stuff to the web so I'm working on both sides now.

I do this because it's interesting and beats the hell out of my former job - Armour Officer in the armed forces.