(*%^$&^#@$ Taxes!!!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I owe the government almost $2000!!! I am so bummed. Look like there will be no gallbladder operation for me in the near future... I was also planning on starting graduate school in the fall, but between this, the gallbladder and a few other unexpected expenses, January 2007 looks like a more realistic start date.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Tracy, that is a shocker for you. Brings to mind the old joke (which isn't going to be that funny to you right now, but just think, in fifty years or so, you'll laugh! :D Maybe!):

Simplified Income Tax Form

1. How much did you make last year?

2. Send it in.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
It's even funny now Haggis. It's just a surprise because I have NEVER owed taxes before. I always get work to take out extra so that I get a refund (I got over 3K back last year). Apparently this year I made too much money. My bank account would disagree with that, but that's what the tax lady says... Picked up too much overtime at work apparently. I've already called work to double my 401K contribution and the extra tax money I get taken out so that this hopefully won't happen next year.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
You're a better soul than I, then! I would be gnashing my teeth, kicking the dog, and basically throwing myself to the ground and wailing. :lol:

Oh, and looking frantically around for loopholes. Is it written in stone, or is there still time to cast about for a loophole or three?

Sassylassie

House Member
Jan 31, 2006
I am tired of being taxed to death. I run a small business that has grown faster than I expected, the paper work alone could sent someone over to the dark side. I payed my yearly HST two months early and was rewarded with a mean spirited note telling me all the horrible things the govenment will do to me if I don't remit my balloon payments four times a year. If you actually sit down and keep track of what you pay in taxes on every cent you spend you would be surprised at how much our governemts take from us.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Do flowers cheer up the over taxed?

:flower: :flower: :flower: :flower:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
I feel for you Tracy. But think, you'd probably be paying twice the taxes if you still lived here in Canada! btw, I'd never set it up such that I got a big refund every year. It amounts to giving the government an interest-free loan for a year - no thanks, I'll keep my own money!

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
You guys are hilarious :) I like flowers and chocolates :)

MMMike, that's why I didn't have much extra taken out of my paychecks last year like I did the year before. I've been watching Suzie Orman a little too much and she says the same thing as you. But, I would rather get 3K back than owe almost 2K, even if it means the government gets an interest free loan from me. The really sad thing is that I actually pay about the same in taxes here as I did in Canada (then add health costs on top of it). California is sort of known for its high tax rate.

Oh well, in the grand scheme of things it isn't too high a price to pay for the fun I've had down here. I really do like being across from the beach with 80 degree weather in February. I'm just going to think of it as having a $2000 tan... and have some more rice pudding to make myself feel better.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: (*%^$&^#@$ Taxes!!!

Haggis McBagpipe said:
tracy said:
I really do like being across from the beach with 80 degree weather in February.

!! Oh man, now that's just plain showing off! :lol: :lol: 8)

Haggis, don't sweat it, all Californians have is the weather, everything else....welll.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I don't know if your interested, but I hear California has a lot of good looking women too....

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
First, California women can't hold a candle to Texas women. Texas women are the most sought after by modeling agencies.

Anyway, as to the BLASTED taxes, it's that time of the year for us in the US. In December, there were $4,000 in property taxes. Then, I made a downpayment of $15,000 on the federal income taxes we will owe. I am quite sure we will owe more than that.
If it weren't for the damned insurance and taxes, we all "feel" rich.

Uncle

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: (*%^$&^#@$ Taxes!!!

I think not said:
Haggis, don't sweat it, all Californians have is the weather, everything else....welll.

Oooooo <in a hushed voice> ladies and gentlemen, we're in a very Taxing situation here. Over in this corner, we have a New Yorker. In the other corner, we have a Californian, and folks, this could be it. Things could get ugly any minute now as these contenders size each other up. New York. California. As different as night and day. Will there be a bloodbath of suntan lotion and blonde beach bunnies? Or will New York be reduced to hip-hopped shambles, and the only survivors roaming gangs of foul-mouthed taxi drivers?

. . . and will the mods FINALLY get to say, "Hey! Take it to the Beach, Boys!"

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
That's another thing, Californians have those convoluted idea what a beach is; a flat sandy surface full of beach volley ball courts and surfers.