The End of the World

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Wal-Mart to Open About 1,500 New Stores

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to open more than 1,500 stores in the United States in the coming years, on top of nearly 3,200 it already operates, the world's largest retailer said Tuesday.

John Menzer, the company's vice chairman and head of its domestic Wal-Mart stores division, said Wal-Mart was on schedule to meet an announced target of between 335 and 370 new U.S. store openings this year after 341 last year.

That number includes Wal-Mart discount stores, Supercenters that also have a full grocery section, smaller Neighborhood Markets and Sam's Club membership warehouses. Supercenters are the largest single group with 1,980 locations in the U.S. and the focus of future growth plans.

Menzer did not specify a timeline for the new stores. He also did not refer to zoning and permit fights that have erupted in some places where Wal-Mart wants to expand, including big markets such as California where the company has fewer locations than in its traditional bases in the South and Midwest.

"We are really focused on opening new stores right now. We see so many opportunities to open new stores that that's where our capital is going first," Menzer said during a Web cast from a financial conference hosted by Citigroup in Miami.

Wal-Mart opened 69 new stores and Sam's Clubs in January, a company record for one month, it announced last week.

Menzer said 1,800 of its existing Supercenters would be remodeled over the next 18 months to make them more inviting, adding touches such as faux wood floors, wider aisles and digital television display walls.

The remodeling program, which Menzer said would not require a large capital outlay, is part of a broader strategy to interest consumers who are already in the store for basics to buy more fashions, electronics, home furnishings and fancier foods.

Wal-Mart began working on the remodeling program last year, and formally unveiled it in October at its annual meeting with analysts.

As part of its growth plans, Wal-Mart also is experimenting with new formats for Supercenters to fit the big box structures into tighter urban neighborhoods. New styles will include multilevel stores and underground or above-store parking rather than a huge lot out front.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
The Wal-mart near me sucks. With Nazi old fart greeters and gross washrooms, I steer clear as often as possible.

I prefer going to the Loblaws Super Store (or is it Loebs) - not as much selection but better customer service and it's clean. No poo smell coming from the washrooms.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
LOL ITN (oh dear - and Said1 too)

Don't start your day that way.....think roses...and spring is coming... and boutiques.... and valentine's day....and did you buy your gift yet...... ooops.....

Wal-Mart....revenge of the nerds comes to mind.... revenge of the misunderstood?

Hehe....I like Wal-Mart because they hire disabled people, seniors, and keep their prices suitable for the poor. Nobody else does.
There's room for everyone to hold their head up high that way.

I believe in the concept of work for welfare....and strangely enough so do the recipients of government checks.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I honestly think it's just the walmart nearest to me. I'm sure others are cleaner, with less aggressive, rosier staff. Store management is different at each location, that might have something to do with it. The bathrooms really are gross though and they are right next to McDonalds. Ew. Ew. Ew.

I don't drive either, so I don't venture too far when shopping - so it's either Zellers or the Super Store pour moi. And Giant Tiger, I would freak out if that store closed, or moved or something. I'm what they call a "regular", whatever that means. :D

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I'm not a WalMart shopper, but have used their washrooms several times and the two in Moncton have extremely nasty ones, the staff isn't as bad tho. Here, in Saint John.. the amenities are cleaner and well stocked,too. it's just the location and the managers :)

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Said1

I think ITN has a hankerin to get down to the beach......

Get into some sandy randy wrasslin with some of the gals there....

He's caught "zoof-itis!"

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I got a free muffin with my coffee this morning. Nothing's gonna bring me down today!

ITN grouchy, never.

Curiosity

Senate Member
Jul 30, 2005
California
Well bathrooms aren't so great in some ritzy restaurants either...

I generally blame bad management and ugly public! People behave worse than horses in public restrooms....and would scream like banshees if their own facilities were used like that by guests.

I like hugging the old guys and gals....especially ask the fellas to frisk me..hahaha....and one girl I won't forget. She wears a little sign to tell people she is hearing impaired....but can read lips if we speak slowly and clearly.

I always visit with her.....if she is working .... tap her arm or shoulder and just say "hi"....she lights up like Christmas.... her world is even more bleak than some of the seniors....but she is a terror on keeping her shelves stocked and tidy and she is very proud to have a job. Hasn't missed a shift in the four years since they hired her.

If the bathrooms are bad....tell the manager.... I think Wal-Mart
contract out overnight cleaning to local cleaners...and if they are doing a lousy job....the management should be told.

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
missile said:
I'm not a WalMart shopper, but have used their washrooms several times and the two in Moncton have extremely nasty ones, the staff isn't as bad tho. Here, in Saint John.. the amenities are cleaner and well stocked,too. it's just the location and the managers :)

So... you go there just to use their nasty washrooms?? :lol:

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The End of the World

the caracal kid said:
Perhaps one of the signs of how the US has passed its zenith.

Bah, we're just getting started. If we go by the gloomers and doomers comparing the US with the Roman Empire, the British Empire yada yada yada, we have a long way to go, we weren't of any consequence till after WWII. So do the math.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The largest employer in Canada and the U.S. is small business. That filthy juggernaught that is Wal-mart is sucking the life out of a huge market segment. Lower prices don't mean *censored* to someone who has been driven out of business. There won't even be low prices after that "thing" has gobbled up all the competition. Their prices will go back up and what are we left with. It has happened in the U.S. already. Americans who had already been burned, warned Canada about letting these monstrosities into the country. We didn't listen and we'll pay.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
So your convinced it will end up that you will only be able to buy from Wal-Mart?

I work in small business and there is an advantage to being a small business....It works both ways.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Re: RE: The End of the World

Jay said:
So your convinced it will end up that you will only be able to buy from Wal-Mart?

I work in small business and there is an advantage to being a small business....It works both ways.

No! I'm convinced Wal-Mart is not helping anyone but the owners. I'm convinced that Wal-Mart is wiping out a lot of small businesses , The corner hardware, the small lumber yard, the small variety stores. Accross the country, these stores employ a lot of people and not at minimum wage, so they are history.

If you don't like the employees at wal-Mart, come back next week. They'll all be different.