The bastardization of Language

View Poll Results: Are literacy standards declining, and should there be a more diciplined approach to the teaching of
Yes 13 86.67%
No 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

darkbeaver
Quote: Originally Posted by selfactivatedView Post

Ok here ya go............

t3.images.live.com/images/thu...9d2c4b21d61022 (external - login to view)

We're even now.

Well I'm happy we got that worked out.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Well I'm happy we got that worked out.

LOL your too cute.

tamarin
Language should be honoured. Those who use it well, esteemed. As long as our society continues to produce people who are as literate as cornflakes we can expect to see an increasing bankruptcy in our shared ideas and our community spirit. The schools know what works. Let's give them the ability to deliver.

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by tamarinView Post

Language should be honoured. Those who use it well, esteemed. As long as our society continues to produce people who are as literate as cornflakes we can expect to see an increasing bankruptcy in our shared ideas and our community spirit. The schools know what works. Let's give them the ability to deliver.

That puts me stoned in the streets

L Gilbert

Ok here ya go............

We're even now.

Ats one grouchy lookin mouse.

El Barto
You'd be grouchy too if your tail was bent like that

snfu73

Huh? Are you even speaking english there, dude?

westmanguy
ITS BECAUSE OF MSN MESSENGER AND CELLULAR TEXT MESSAGING.

There, now that I got that point across. Every teen these days, regardless of social status, seems to have a cell, and they are constantly "textin'" each other. And many kids are addicted to MSN Messenger, and learn and use all those shortcuts.

One thing for sure, this generation are fast typers!

Kids get used to the text messaging and msn, and they throw grammar out the window.

The thing we have to teach though is: You can use this type of lanuage for social communication, but for formal assignments, you need to use proper English.

In university and high school I used those shortcuts in my language all the time, but I always for formal documents used correct language.

That is the trick to the issue. Hey! If I wanted to be lazy I could type like this:

FWIW, IMHO, "sup" is cool bc my gf, said so! lol = For whatever its worth, in my humble opinion, 'whats up' is cool because my girlfriend said so! *laughing out loud*

But I will treat you guys better than that! ok!

darkbeaver

LOL your too cute.

Ya kin never be too cute hahahahahahaha

selfactivated
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbeaverView Post

Ya kin never be too cute hahahahahahaha

snfu73
Quote: Originally Posted by westmanguyView Post

ITS BECAUSE OF MSN MESSENGER AND CELLULAR TEXT MESSAGING.

There, now that I got that point across. Every teen these days, regardless of social status, seems to have a cell, and they are constantly "textin'" each other. And many kids are addicted to MSN Messenger, and learn and use all those shortcuts.

One thing for sure, this generation are fast typers!

Kids get used to the text messaging and msn, and they throw grammar out the window.

The thing we have to teach though is: You can use this type of lanuage for social communication, but for formal assignments, you need to use proper English.

In university and high school I used those shortcuts in my language all the time, but I always for formal documents used correct language.

That is the trick to the issue. Hey! If I wanted to be lazy I could type like this:

FWIW, IMHO, "sup" is cool bc my gf, said so! lol = For whatever its worth, in my humble opinion, 'whats up' is cool because my girlfriend said so! *laughing out loud*

But I will treat you guys better than that! ok!

Maybe we are seeing the evolution of language as a whole happening in front of our eyes...the future of language. Maybe symbols and icons and markings will make the alphabet as we know it obsolete. Nothing wrong with that, really. Should we be forcing the old ways on the new generation, or looking at the new ways and seeing how they can be developed to suit the needs of society. I mean, kids are still able to communicate with eachother quite well...so...it's not like this new language that is coming upon us is completely ineffective. I say maybe we should be embracing the changes.

tamarin
Sounds like the argument made to mainstream eubonics at American universities in the early '90's. Language is all about clarity and communication. Subcultures naturally develop but they should never be allowed to subsume the key shared language of a culture.

snfu73

Sounds like the argument made to mainstream eubonics at American universities in the early '90's. Language is all about clarity and communication. Subcultures naturally develop but they should never be allowed to subsume the key shared language of a culture.

Ya, but then it goes back to what we were talking about before...no one talks like Shakespeare anymore...things changed...ALOT. Shakespeare wrote for the common man. Today we look at his works as outstanding representations of the english language at the time. Language will change to suit the needs of the common man, and everything else will follow...as it has done all along. Those who want to presented new ideas to the public will find the most success in doing so in whatever language the general public is using...has developed...etc.

tamarin
Certainly, English has evolved but it's taken a long, long time. Today's English is accepted world-wide as the world's key language of business and political participation. It's well respected and for good reason. If the young folk want to talk funny, let them. They should be told though their paycheques will come as a result of proficiency in the language not of their peers but their community.

westmanguy
What I COULD see happening is abbreviations being used mainstream for text, for tons of phrases.

like:

FWIW
IMO
IMHO
LOL
etc.

But lets remember people type/write like this, but no one talks like this.

I don't say " I - M - O ...."

Blackleaf
Quote: Originally Posted by L GilbertView Post

Well "Mórán cainte ar bheagán cúise" literally translated means " much talk on little cause".
"Póg mo thóin" literally means, "kiss my ****".

Sometimes I wish I knew/remembered more Gaeilge than I do. It's a neat language.

What about Welsh? Welsh is the second-most spoken of the native British languages (after English, obviously) spoken by around 700,000 people in Wales and 150,000 people in England.

Despite its name, it's not just a native tongue of Wales - it's also a native tongue of England as it was spoken by the Celts who occupied the area where England now is before the arrival of the Anglo-Saxons. So it is as much an English language as a Welsh language. It's also the oldest surviving language in Europe.

Get up early every day-Dw i'n codi'n gynnar bob dydd

They'll sleep only when there's a need - Byddan nhw ddim ond yn cysgu pan fydd angen

THE LORD'S prayer

Ein Tad, yr hwn wyt yn y nefoedd,
sancteiddier dy Enw.
Deled dy deyrnas.
Gweneler dy ewyllys megis yn y nef,
felly ar y ddaear hefyd.
Dyro i ni heddyw ein bara begunyddiol.
A maddeu i ni ein dyledion,
fel y maddeuwn ninnau i'n dyledwyr.
Ac nac arwain ni i brofedigaeth;
eithr gwared ni rhag y drwg. Amen.

(Our Father, which art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done,
in earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation; But deliver us from evil:
[For thine is the kingdom, The power, and the glory,
For ever and ever.] Amen.)

And don't even attempt trying to learn it as it is very difficult.

Nouns change their spelling according to how they are used in a sentence.

For example -

Stone - Carreg

The stone - Y garreg

My stone - Fy ngharreg
---------------

Garden - Gardd

The garden - Yr ardd
-------------

Bangor (name of Welsh town)

"In Bangor" - "ym Mangor"
----------------------

Cardiff (city) - Caerdyyd

"In Cardiff" - "yng Nghaerdydd"
-------------------------

Father - tadau

"My father" - "fy nhadau"
Last edited by Blackleaf; Mar 10th, 2007 at 07:56 AM..

Zzarchov
English is an ever changing scavengar language, changing to meet the needs of its time.

From the use of contractions, to the introduction of new and foriegn words. The failure is assuming most young people can't write or speak "proper" (proper as of 40 years ago but not 80 anyways) should they wish to. They choose not to because it is inefficient to them.

To those who don't understand all the terms, abbreviations and jargon it no doubt does seem "crude" and "incomprehensible". The same thing happens (only worse) if I try to speak English to someone signing my paycheck to someone who speaks only French, Japanese or Mandarin. If you are speaking too someone you want money from, speak as they want to be spoken to, English or not.

But lets look at the idiocies of English, number one is capitalizing nationalities. That was a nice completely illogical concept in the age of nationalism, but nobody cares what country you are from anymore, and in todays world the concept of country blurs between "super-countries" all the way down to "autonomous region". It is inefficient and illogical.

Lets not forget, that at the turn of the last century, the official spelling of the united stated was simplified spelling, to get rid of how stupid and innefficient the English language had become.

Guvurnment dokuments lukd lik this in speling, strait frum the oval ofis.

Its just the block who doesn't know not wanting to learn, but also not wanting to be left out when the new leaders in the world start changing things.

tamarin
English because of its flexibility will remain triumphant. It is the premier global language and will easily outflank any contestants.