What do you drive and why do you drive it?

thulin
Haggis McBagpipe

These days Volvo is more a luxury car than back in the 1980:s, I mean the 740 was to the swedes what the Trabant was to the people of DDR! Now a days only like 1/5 of all the cars in Sweden is a Volvo...

If you are going to buy a P1800, you have to buy the "station wagon" model (the one on your picture) with the backdoor in glass - that is a beuty! Now be a good girl and buy a pink one!!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by thulin

These days Volvo is more a luxury car than back in the 1980:s, I mean the 740 was to the swedes what the Trabant was to the people of DDR! Now a days only like 1/5 of all the cars in Sweden is a Volvo...

If you are going to buy a P1800, you have to buy the "station wagon" model (the one on your picture) with the backdoor in glass - that is a beuty! Now be a good girl and buy a pink one!!

The station wagon is the ONLY one to have, I agree. My good god but they are beautiful things. And the pink one . . . yeah, THAT'S going to happen. What a terrible thing to do to a beautiful car like that. Why, it's a Mary Kay Volvo. Actually, that is really funny now that I think of it.

It is strange to learn that so few people in Sweden now drive Volvos. I would never have suspected.

The thing I don't like about the new Volvo is, it has totally lost the unique Volvo-ness. Used to be you could always recognize a Volvo, but now you have to search for that logo and bar on the grill.

Are there many of the old turtle-back Volvos over there? You never see them here anymore:

thulin
Haggis McBagpipe
I searched "Bytbil" (external - login to view), a swedish database for cars that are for sale. Found nine PV (1 400 - 15 000$), four Amazon (4 400 - 15 000 $) and eight P1800 (11 700 - 20 300$).

Personally, I have always been weak for the Amazon coupé. The 1964 model, 235 000 km one below will be yours for only 7 000 $!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by thulin

Personally, I have always been weak for the Amazon coupé. The 1964 model, 235 000 km one below will be yours for only 7 000 $!

Oh my good god that car is a masterpiece! That just happens to be my second most favourite era for Volvo, in fact. I can't believe the mileage is so low, that is amazing.

I want that car!! Once I show my husband, all hell will break loose. I'm a fiend for that era, he is an absolutely nut job for it.

thulin
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

The picture of your car is great, though it looks like some crazy guy is just about to drive away in it!!

Yup, that dude is crazy alright..!

thulin
Quote: Originally Posted by Haggis McBagpipe

Once I show my husband, all hell will break loose. I'm a fiend for that era, he is an absolutely nut job for it

I want that car!!

Tell your husband and you will have it?!

Cosmo
GRRRR ... you know all those acronyms for "Ford" ... "Found On Roadside Dead" .... "Fix Or Repair Daily" ... piece of crap truck of mine has me creating ones the auto censor here would snip.

Starters. Fords and starters. I had mine replaced. It was a bad starter (not a rebuild, but a new one from the dealer). Of course I never got around to having it replaced. I hate mechanical stuff and kinda think if you ignore it long enough, it will miraculously heal itself.

Today I was going to put Canucklehead on the plane to fly back east to get his stuff, and the Ford decided it was a good day not to start. I'm crawling around under the damn thing in a dark parking garage with a frickin lighter, trying to remember where the hell the starter was so I could bash it with a hammer. Never did remember.

Poor Canucklehead ... speed dialed a cab which guaranteed to get him there on time. Man. My Harley never gave me this kind of grief. If it did, at least I could fix the damn thing myself.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

GRRRR ... you know all those acronyms for "Ford" ... "Found On Roadside Dead" .... "Fix Or Repair Daily" ... piece of crap truck of mine has me creating ones the auto censor here would snip.

Starters. Fords and starters. I had mine replaced. It was a bad starter (not a rebuild, but a new one from the dealer). Of course I never got around to having it replaced. I hate mechanical stuff and kinda think if you ignore it long enough, it will miraculously heal itself.

Today I was going to put Canucklehead on the plane to fly back east to get his stuff, and the Ford decided it was a good day not to start. I'm crawling around under the damn thing in a dark parking garage with a frickin lighter, trying to remember where the hell the starter was so I could bash it with a hammer. Never did remember.

Poor Canucklehead ... speed dialed a cab which guaranteed to get him there on time. Man. My Harley never gave me this kind of grief. If it did, at least I could fix the damn thing myself.

That's what you get for driving a gas-guzzling truck, Cos, ha ha! Seriously, there is one time when a car or truck is guaranteed to break, and that's when you have somewhere you have to be in record time.

The key to 'repairs by hammer' is, when you can't remember the location of a part, is to bash the whole engine with the hammer, then move on to the vehicle body, for good measure.

Jay

I can't stop laughing....

Cosmo
Canucklehead called ... he made his plane. whew

Haggis ... I was sorely tempted to use your method. I had already considered it while I was down there crawling around on the cold cement. I did kinda whack around underneath, hitting everything I could reach with the hammer, but obviously I didn't hit the starter. I know what it looks like, but can't remember where the damn thing is. grrrrrrrr

Of course when I go down this afternoon, it will start flawlessly. You are correct ... the only time it quits is when it really matters. Piece of $#it.

manda
It's in the hardest to reach area with a hammer spot under the vehicle...usually on the drivers side....yeah, i've hit things with a hammer a few times myself...

Oh...are you supposed to limit hammer whacking to vehicles?

zoofer
A quick scan of this thread and I see Ford drives Cosmo (to drink!) and why she drives one that won't start is cos' she is a natural environmentalist that refuses to pollute unnecessarily.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

Oh...are you supposed to limit hammer whacking to vehicles?

It isn't recomended for use on the kids, if that's what your thinking...

manda
no, it wasn't the kids...but it's a definite idea; I was thinking more along the lines of ex's. What a stress release!

Jay
It works great on Ex's....

I would suggest using a rubber mallet at first, and if that doesn't work, get out the real thing. No one can fault you for that, I mean you tried with the rubber one first...

tawker
I drive a 95 Mazda 626

Why

a) (Somewhat) cheap to insure.
b) Not brutal on the gas
c) Pretty reliable

manda
It works great on Ex's....

I would suggest using a rubber mallet at first, and if that doesn't work, get out the real thing. No one can fault you for that, I mean you tried with the rubber one first...

Exactly! finally someone who follows my logic, a warning swing with the rubber mallet, and then if the issue persists, a great whack with the sledgehammer?

What Judge could argue with that?....especially if I cried?

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

A quick scan of this thread and I see Ford drives Cosmo (to drink!) and why she drives one that won't start is cos' she is a natural environmentalist that refuses to pollute unnecessarily.

Of course I am, Zoof! And if the truck won't start, I'll just put my fur coat on and walk down to the damn liquor store! Seriously, I do wear fur, right here in Victoria. So far, no ink.

You may be onto something though. Maybe this is the gods' way of punishing me for those damn tin cans I threw in the garbage last week! The Green Earth Gods are after me now!!

Sassylassie
Thanks for the chuckle Cosmo. Nothing on a Ford last longer than 6 months. I am on my fourth set of Tie-rods. Did you know that Ford recalled the F150's, there is a defective part on Cruise Control. When Cruise Control is off it is still on (thus never shutting off) which causes over heating and it results in a spontanious fire. There have been over 500 cases in the USA this year. None of the fires have started when the vehicles are in operation, the fire usually starts in the driveway. There was a reguest for those of us who drive F150's not to park in under ground parking. Just for fun I hit Cruise Control as often as possible, I would love to see that hunk of Sh222t burn. Haggis, I would love a Smart Car, when I mentioned it to my other half his reply was "I have hauled bigger items than that in the truck bed" No smart car for me. Mazda Miata now that is a car!!!!

Colpy
Como wears fur!

Cool!

Anyhow, I drive a 2000 KIA Sephia. Treat it like Hell, and it works very well.

Cheap, cheap on gas, reasonably peppy, and very dependable.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

Of course I am, Zoof! And if the truck won't start, I'll just put my fur coat on and walk down to the damn liquor store! Seriously, I do wear fur, right here in Victoria. So far, no ink.

You may be onto something though. Maybe this is the gods' way of punishing me for those damn tin cans I threw in the garbage last week! The Green Earth Gods are after me now!!

Yes, I think that was it. Imagine my surprise when I saw you headlined in the Green Is Us Guys newspaper this week, a full-page article with a picture of you in your fur coat, busy throwing away cans.

So, to make a long story short, the Green Earth Gods were notified and dispatched without further ado. They were actually armed with ink for the coat, but were distracted by the enormity of that super-sized truck you drive, so they improvised. You'll probably find ink in the starter.

They had some words about that paper you threw away too. And the juice bottle.

Just goes to show, tossing the tins can starter some problems, making the fur fly and the ford falter.

the caracal kid
all this talk of volvos:

a radio show years ago listed off what your car says about you. I will always remember the volvo tag because it was such a perfect rib for a friend who drives one.

the tag is: "volvo: i am afraid of my wife".

Haggis McBagpipe
Ahhhh, do you mean, by chance, this little gem? Warning: there is something in here to offend just about everybody. Funny, though.

YOU ARE WHAT YOU DRIVE
WHAT YOUR CAR SAYS ABOUT YOU...

Acura Integra- I have always wanted to own the Buick of sports cars
Acura Legend - I'm too bland for German cars
Acura NSX - I am impotent
Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires
Buick Park Avenue - I am older than 34 of the 50 states
Cadillac Seville - I am a pimp
Chevrolet Camaro - I enjoy beating up people
Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a 'Vette
Chevrolet Corvette - I'm in a mid-life crisis
Chevrolet El Camino - I am leading a militia to overthrow the government
Chevrolet Trucks - I say the bigger the truck, the bigger my manhood
Datsun 280Z - I have a kilo of cocaine in my wheel well
Dodge Dart - I teach 3rd grade special education and I voted for Eisenhower
Dodge Daytona - I delivered pizza for four years to get this car
Duallys - I'm a redneck with money but no taste
Ford Trucks - See Chevy Trucks
Ford Fairmont - (See Dodge Dart)
Ford Mustang - I slow down to 85 in school zones
Ford Crown Victoria - I enjoy having people slow to 55mph and change lanes when I pull up behind them
Geo Storm - I will start the 11th grade in the Fall.
Geo Tracker - I will start the 12th grade in the Fall.
Honda del Sol - I say half a convertible is better than no convertible at all
Honda Civic - I have just graduated and have no credit
Honda Accord - I lack any originality or personality and am basically a lemming.
Infiniti Q45 - I am a physician with 17 malpractice suits pending.
Isuzu Impulse - I do not give a rip about J.D . Power or his reports.
Jaguar XJ6 - I am so rich I will pay 60K for a car that is in the shop 280 days per year.
Kia Sephia - I learned nothing from the failure of Daihatsu Corp.
Lincoln Town Car - I live for bingo and covered dish suppers
Mercury Grand Marquis - (See above)
Mercedes 560SEL - I have a daughter named Bitsy and a son named Cole
MGB - I am dating a mechanic
Nissan 300ZX - I have yet to complete my divorce proceedings
Nissan Sentra - I am a gay college student
Nissan Truck - I'm a major geek
Oldsmobile Cutlass - I just stole this car and I'm going to make a day of it.
Peugeot 505 Diesel - I am on the EPA's Ten Most Wanted List
Plymouth Neon - I sincerely enjoy doing the Macarena
Pontiac Trans AM - I have a switchblade in my sock
Porsche 944 - I am dating big haired women that otherwise would be inaccessible to me
Rolls Royce Silver Shadow - I think Pat Buchanan is a tad bit too liberal
Saturn SC2 - (See Honda Civic)
Toyota Camry - I'm gay but I'm still in the closet
VW Beetle - I still watch Partridge Family reruns
VW Cabriolet - I am gay and out of the closet
VW Microbus - I am tripping
Volvo 740 Wagon - I am frightened of my wife

#juan
Gee, neither of my cars made the list. I don't know if that is good or bad...

Sassylassie
Very funny Haggis. But I don't have a man-hood, the list needs to be feminized.

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Sassylassie

Very funny Haggis. But I don't have a man-hood, the list needs to be feminized.

You're right about that, it does. Hey, I don't take the blame for it, though. It's that darn caracal kid, he made me post it by reminding me of the Volvo designation.

Poor Juan, it bodes ill that your cars aren't listed, you know. It might mean that you don't actually exist, you see. That would be sad, especially since we keep having conversations with you. It would mean we were talking to ourselves. Tsk.

Curiosity
That was a great one Haggis... :P

Toro

Audi 90 - I enjoy putting out engine fires

I blew up an Audi once.

Toro

Chevrolet Chevette - I like seeing people's reactions when I tell them I have a 'Vette

Hey, that's exactly what I'd tell women when I was in college!

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

I blew up an Audi once.

Whoa, audi ya like that, eh?