To have children or not?

View Poll Results: How many children you are going to have?
None 9 40.91%
1 2 9.09%
2 6 27.27%
more 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Comboy
I will come to canada within 2 years and I've decided to have no children at all, how common is this idea. I've got some reasons for it. like I prefer to travel and I can't handle children.
One tourist from united states told me that I can not easily find a fiancee with this idea, was she right?

P.S: I will go to Alberta as a sophomore

FiveParadox
Well, I'd like to have children, although it couldn't be through conventional means, I suppose, on account of the fact that I'm gay. Nonetheless, I would love to. About two, I think. Not too many, not too few.

And on the topic of marriage in relation to children, don't worry about it! I have no doubt that, eventually, you will find someone who has similar views as you do; namely, that you both wish to have a lifestyle too travel-oriented and hectic to accomodate children.

zoofer
Quote: Originally Posted by Comboy

I will come to canada within 2 years and I've decided to have no children at all, how common is this idea. I've got some reasons for it. like I prefer to travel and I can't handle children.
One tourist from united states told me that I can not easily find a fiancee with this idea, was she right?

P.S: I will go to Alberta as a sophomore

I have heard that the population in Alberta never goes up.
It seems everytime a baby is born some guy leaves town, headed for BC.

You will have no problem and I kid you not.

zoofer

bhoour
I have three kids,( 19.5,16, & 3.) Both of my sisters have none. They have both asked me on seperate occasions if it's selfish that they don't want kids? I think it would be worse to have kids you don't really want. There is already enough abuse, and mistreatment, and neglect. It's a huge responsibility ( for 20 yrs or more).
I don't believe you will have trouble finding a partner. Just be up front, when entering into a relationship. Lots of people don't want kids.

Just remember accidents do happen............
my family is living proof.

missile
I never wanted to have children,but we had 4 accidents

Jay
We are expecting our first this May.

Zoofer is posting here? Did something happen over the holidays I need to be aware of?

Good to see ya Zoof.

bhoour
Conrats Jay!! babies are sooooooo sweet.........

it's the teenagers I'm having a spot o trouble with..........
oooooooooh, the disrespect!!!!!

apparently lots went down here, details have been sparse.......
I don't think it's our business............

Jay
Thanks Bhoour!

It's a scary proposition if you ask me....

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

I never wanted to have children,but we had 4 accidents

It's pretty unusual to have 4 accidents. As someone told me, you either want to have children, and actively do something about it, or you actively DON'T want children, and make sure you take steps to prevent it, or you just don't care one way or the other, and leave it to chance.

As far as whether or not wanting children makes a difference in your ability to find a fiance, I doubt it. Just make sure that when the topic comes up, you don't lie about your feelings.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Thanks Bhoour!

It's a scary proposition if you ask me....

I would agree, for the baby that is :P

Jay
Ok thats it...I'm comming down there!! :P

I think not

Well you know you just ran into it that one, you left yourself wide open

Jersay
I'd love to have children. I think around five or six, but I don't know what woman would say to me "okay I will give you six children" because I guess its harder on a woman with the whole birthing and everything.

And with my want to travel and everything and wanting to join the U.N I don't know how buzy I will be and what kind of a role model I can be for my kids.

So, I don't know, but if I do have a family I want a really big one.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Well you know you just ran into it that one, you left yourself wide open

I just got back from holidays and I forgot that there was this evil old man lurking about here....

tracy
I think there are lots of people who don't plan on having kids. I'm leaning that way myself.

MMMike

We are expecting our first this May.

Zoofer is posting here? Did something happen over the holidays I need to be aware of?

Good to see ya Zoof.

Your first, Jay?? Aren't you too old for that? For some reason I always thought you were 50 or 60. :P

I've got two: 4 year old boy, 9 year old girl. I'd love to have a whole bunch more but who can afford it? And I don't know if I can go back to changing diapers again.

Jay

No, ITN is the Old one around here. ME? I'm still a young gentleman. I just had a birthday and I've still got two thousand years to go before my "best before" date hits.

DasFX
I personally can't wait to have kids. I would like at least 2 kids (preferably one of each gender). To me, becoming a father will be one of my crowning achievements.

bhoour
Quote: Originally Posted by DasFX

I personally can't wait to have kids. I would like at least 2 kids (preferably one of each gender). To me, becoming a father will be one of my crowning achievements.

I think of it as my lifes work! My legacy! I have been a Mom for more than half my life, since I was 16. No other accomplishment I have made means as much! Not even close!!!

nitzomoe
call it youthful ignorance but I dont plan on having any kids either, at least for a very long time. theres soo much to do before one must settle down and have a family.

Personally I want to travel through all 7 continents, get to the point in my career I always aspire to, and get a really fancy car that I would never drive except during the summer and on weekends. then ill think about it.

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by nitzomoe

call it youthful ignorance but I dont plan on having any kids either, at least for a very long time. theres soo much to do before one must settle down and have a family.

Personally I want to travel through all 7 continents, get to the point in my career I always aspire to, and get a really fancy car that I would never drive except during the summer and on weekends. then ill think about it.

To each his own, but it is invariable impossible to have it all within our human life expectancy. From how you phase your statement, it seems that you view children as a limiting factor. Good luck anyhow.

LindzyRae
I do not want to have children. However I may decide to become a foster parent down the road at some point. Not untill I am a bit older though, and my wander-lust has mellowed a bit.

nitzomoe
Quote: Originally Posted by DasFX

Quote: Originally Posted by nitzomoe

To each his own, but it is invariable impossible to have it all within our human life expectancy. From how you phase your statement, it seems that you view children as a limiting factor. Good luck anyhow.

If i hafta sacrifice the car I'll do it then!

unclepercy
Well, I absolutely feel that people who cannot afford to support children - should NOT have them. If they have to be on the dole,
then -no- children would be best. I have 2 and wouldn't take a million dollars for them.

Uncle

the caracal kid
i won't have kids, they are not of any interest to me. I will be upfront and say they are a burden of many sorts i have no need or want for. To each his/her own. Some want kids, some prefer other ventures.

JomZ
A lot of friends and family of mine chose not too have kids and have chosen too lead their life for themselves.

Some of them I know have absolutely no regrets about that and some do. It happens as you become older and realize that you don't have a legacy to leave behind. (I wouldnt know since Im one of the younger members on this board)

On the flip side there are some people who had kids, either intentionally or unintentionally, who sometimes ponder the road not travelled.

I for one can not wait till I have kids, but that will not happen until I meet Mrs. JomZ

zoofer
Lurking around looking for any maidens in distress because they have not been deflowered and are not expecting..

No ladies should have to suffer so. So with a bit of practice I am sure we can eventually succeed in fulfilling your
hearts desires. :P

Lurk lurk...
Maybe I will go lurk in the newby section. I hear a lot of hot babes just joined.....

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by zoofer

Lurking around looking for any maidens in distress because they have not been deflowered and are not expecting..

No ladies should have to suffer so. So with a bit of practice I am sure we can eventually succeed in fulfilling your
hearts desires. :P

Lurk lurk...
Maybe I will go lurk in the newby section. I hear a lot of hot babes just joined.....

Zoof ... you look particularly dashing in that trench coat! Do we need to turn the cold hose on you yet? The chicks here may not have been sufficiently warned about Dr. Z!!!

Curiosity
Cosmo

Hi there - can't we get Zoofer some new lines? He's gonna scare the women away!

I like this topic and while I was reading all the different ideas being given pro and con, two things struck me...

(1) How some people live a bit for themselves, and think maybe or even maybe not and some have plans other than parenthood for their lives....and all feel pretty good with their decisions....about having children in the future or are wild about the children they have... there's a lot of love floating around about kids which is wonderful to read....even from the people who don't want that responsibility for themselves.

(2) And because I believe no child should be born who can't be loved, provided for and especially who isn't wanted... I think we
are all very fortunate these days...because we have a choice.