To have children or not?

View Poll Results: How many children you are going to have?
None 9 40.91%
1 2 9.09%
2 6 27.27%
more 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Cosmo
Wednesday's Child ... seems like Zoof does quite well with his current collection of lines! I think the women around here are fully equipped to handle his flirtatious nature ... in fact a few of them will give him a run for his money!

Back to topic ... I never wanted children, never wanted to share my toys or be that responsible for another human being's welfare, spirit and moral development. It's an enormous job and because I wasn't entirely certain I was up to the task, chose not to take it on.

I have a great deal of respect for people who have children. It has got to be the single most difficult undertaking in the world if one is determined to do a good job. I know how insanely protective I am of my jack russell ... I can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to raise a child and send it out into the world. I have trouble letting my dog off leash! Takes a different kind of character than I possess to strike that balance between giving "roots and wings" to another person.

Kudos to those that can do it, and kudos to those of us who know our limitations and don't get sucked into the overwhelming societal pressure to have children.

bhoour
Quote: Originally Posted by nitzomoe

call it youthful ignorance but I dont plan on having any kids either, at least for a very long time. theres soo much to do before one must settle down and have a family.

Personally I want to travel through all 7 continents, get to the point in my career I always aspire to, and get a really fancy car that I would never drive except during the summer and on weekends. then ill think about it.

That was my plan, but you know, um.......stuff happens. Usually for a reason.

keep it wrapped !

I'll have to travel as a senior.

Frappuccino Dibs
I have one son who is now 2 years old. He's been on holiday abroad with us I think 5 times.

Having kids does not stop you travelling it just makes you re-evaluate the places you go to for a few years.

Personally, I think kids are great and in my little world, nothing has been more rewarding than watching my son grow up.

I understand why people would say they don't want kids, but I think they are denying themselves something that is immensly rewarding.

bhoour
Quote: Originally Posted by Frappuccino Dibs

I have one son who is now 2 years old. He's been on holiday abroad with us I think 5 times.

Having kids does not stop you travelling it just makes you re-evaluate the places you go to for a few years.
up.

Having kids does stop me from travelling, because I am not in a position financially, to take all 3 with me. So, how do I choose which child is worthy, and who watches the other two while I'm gone? As mine are over two yrs the expense is great. Many of the places I'd like to go are, not kid oriented, and it would be unfair to take them to a place like that.
We go on lots of road trips and camp alot......the poor (wo)mans holiday.

pastafarian
Coupla thoughts.

I have two, 5 and 10. Not accidents, surprises .

Can't think of anything that screws up your life worse than children. It's tiring, stressful and bloody inconvenient... I wouldn't trade parenthood for anything!!! My little apes are the best thing that's ever happened to me.

I don't think people who choose not to have children are making a mistake, or are being "selfish". In fact, it's a ridiculous idea.

You have to give up a lot of stuff to be a decent parent (and IMO, there's nothing worse than a lousy parent). The world doesn't need any more humans, so it's certainly not an obligation.

Also, no one's ever ready to be a parent: any sane person who looks at the prospect rationally has no choice but to run from the idea, screaming.

So far, my view is that you don't need to know anything to be a decent parent: you'll learn it when it's too late. All you need is to put in the time in good faith, with an open mind and a willingness to learn at least twice as much from your kids as you're prepared to teach them.

It's a lot of fun, too!

Toro
I don't think you can truly understand love until you have children.

tracy
I work with a lot of parents who clearly regret their decision to have kids. It's heartbreaking. IMO, no one should have children because they want someone to love them, they want to leave a legacy, they want someone to take care of them when they are older or they are worried they'll regret it if they don't.

the caracal kid
indeed tracy,

if you want someone to love you, get a cat.
if you want leave a legacy, build something memorable.
if you want someone to care for you in old age, plan for hiring such staff.

tracy
Quote: Originally Posted by the caracal kid

indeed tracy,

Well, I'd advocate a dog more than a cat, but to each her own

Seriously, if I died tomorrow, I would be content with the legacy I've left behind because I know I have made at least a small contribution to some people's lives. I don't need to leave a genetic legacy. I have considered adopting an older child when I'm more settled, but I just don't feel that need to pop out a baby from my own body.

LindzyRae
Quote: Originally Posted by the caracal kid

indeed tracy,

Done (x2, plus 2 rats and a few fish)
Working on it
sure, once I win the 649

I agree compleatly, a child should be brought into this world only when it has mature and responsible parent/s. I was an "accident" and even though I know my mother has always loved me I also know that she was not ready to be a parent. And if it wern't for the help of the rest of my family she never would have been able to afford it.

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Wednesday's Child ... seems like Zoof does quite well with his current collection of lines! I think the women around here are fully equipped to handle his flirtatious nature ... in fact a few of them will give him a run for his money!
Back to topic ... I never wanted children, never wanted to share my toys or be that responsible for another human being's welfare, spirit and moral development. It's an enormous job and because I wasn't entirely certain I was up to the task, chose not to take it on.
I have a great deal of respect for people who have children. It has got to be the single most difficult undertaking in the world if one is determined to do a good job. I know how insanely protective I am of my jack russell ... I can't begin to imagine how difficult it would be to raise a child and send it out into the world. I have trouble letting my dog off leash! Takes a different kind of character than I possess to strike that balance between giving "roots and wings" to another person.
Kudos to those that can do it, and kudos to those of us who know our limitations and don't get sucked into the overwhelming societal pressure to have children.

Quote has been trimmed
BTW, Cosmo, my daughter got my granddaughter a 6-week old Jack Russell Terrier for Christmas. Unforunately, their 15 year old Sheeba had to be put down on Halloween. The kid couldn't take her hands off the puppy - she wore her out. They named her "Trixie." They also have another one who is 15, Bandit.
Bad thing was - that pup howled all night long and kept us awake.
She was irresistible, though.

Uncle

bhoour
21 Reasons not to have kids

For those who already have children past this age, this is hilarious.
For those who have children nearing this age, this is a warning.
For those who have not yet had children, this is birth control.
The following came from an anonymous mother in Austin, TX. Things I've learned from my children

A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2,000 sq. foot house 4 inches deep.
If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with roller blades, they can ignite.
A 3-year-old's voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42 pound boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape. It is strong enough, however, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20X20 foot room.
You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using the ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.
The glass in windows (even double pane) doesn't stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.
When you hear the toilet flush and the words, "Uh-oh", it's already too late.
Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.
A six-year-old can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year-old man says they can only do it in the movies. A magnifying glass can start a fire even on an overcast day.
Certain Lego's will pass through the digestive tract of a four-year-old.
Play Dough and Microwave should never be used in the same sentence.
Super glue is forever.
No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool, you still can't walk on water.
Pool filters do not like Jell-O.
VCR's do not eject PB&J sandwiches even though TV commercials show they do.
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.
Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when driving.
You probably do not want to know what that odor is.
Always look in the oven before you turn it on. Plastic toys do not like ovens.
The fire department in Austin has a 5 minute response time.
The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earth worms dizzy. It will, however, make cats dizzy, and cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy.

FiveParadox
I love it.

the caracal kid
good list bhooor!

the shortened version of that list for those with an attentiond deficit is:
1. kids stink
2. kids make messes
3. kids are noisy
4. kids break things

and, the most important reason (which is a part of every other reason)
5. kids cost time and money.

LindzyRae
And they do a very good impression of the Exorcist when it comes to spit-up!

LindzyRae
bhoour, That is going to have me laughing for days! Thanks!

bhoour
Puke and all, mine are honestly the best thing that could of happened to me! I didn't know it at the time, but they helped to save me from myself!

mrmom2
Now i know we must have met somewhere before B I feel the same way about my little pukers

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy

BTW, Cosmo, my daughter got my granddaughter a 6-week old Jack Russell Terrier for Christmas. Unforunately, their 15 year old Sheeba had to be put down on Halloween. The kid couldn't take her hands off the puppy - she wore her out. They named her "Trixie." They also have another one who is 15, Bandit.

Uncle

Uncle ... there is a sure fire cure for that howling at night ... make sure she is firmly tucked under the covers, head on pillow, between two sleeping humans. Moche sleeps between us, on her back, like a little person. Has done so since we brought her home.

A few more dog hints ... to stop them from begging, I allow Moche to just eat whatever she wants off my plate. Problem solved. As for house training ... we still use pee pads (living on 15th floor have little choice), but she still comes to get one of us for a bite of jerky when's she's done her good deed. Of course not everyone agrees with our dog rearing methods ... but they work just fine for us and we have a happy, well loved JR!

Congrats to your grand daughter on her new baby! Got any pix? (Of the dog, but you can include grandkids too )

bhoour
I told you Mr.....there is sum'n familar aboot you!..

must of been a former life.......

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercyBTW, Cosmo, my daughter got my granddaughter a 6-week old Jack Russell Terrier for Christmas. Unforunately, their 15 year old Sheeba had to be put down on Halloween. The kid couldn't take her hands off the puppy - she wore her out. They named her "Trixie." They also have another one who is 15, Bandit.
UncleUncle ... there is a sure fire cure for that howling at night ... make sure she is firmly tucked under the covers, head on pillow, between two sleeping humans. Moche sleeps between us, on her back, like a little person. Has done so since we brought her home.
A few more dog hints ... to stop them from begging, I allow Moche to just eat whatever she wants off my plate. Problem solved. As for house training ... we still use pee pads (living on 15th floor have little choice), but she still comes to get one of us for a bite of jerky when's she's done her good deed. Of course not everyone agrees with our dog rearing methods ... but they work just fine for us and we have a happy, well loved JR!

Quote has been trimmed
I think I have one in my regular camera of Trixie. I'd have to scan it and upload it - IF it turns out. My camera has been acting up lately. I have a new digital one, but I haven't even looked at it.
I am sure my SIL has one or two. I'll email him for his latest digital pictures - I'd like to have them anyway.

She has beautiful markings. I noticed she got in the dog bed with Bandit (who is blind); so there may be a beginning bond there.

I'll tell you another cure for howling. 400 miles. I don't hear it anymore. HA! We have a new chocolate lab puppy who doesn't howl, but she wants in the house every time you open the door.
Our other dog died 12-30.

Uncle

Comboy
I want to discuss about my situation and decision about having children
Iím living in Iran and Iím sure many of you donít know how life is going on here.
If Iíll have children in my country, my daughter will be forced to wear veil and my son have to serve the army for 2 years. Girls and boys are separated till university. A girl is a mystery for boys and boys are mysterious for girls as well. So when they are mixed at the university they really do many wrong things. As well as getting married too early when theyíre around 24, they donít agree about many important things before marriage. They raise their children while theyíre spending most of their salary for rental houses.
Well, I donít want to have children if theyíre going to be separated from primary school. I canít do anything for the mental diseases coming from this stupid system.
Now, I would like you to explain about your own situation and decision. Not just saying yes or no, some of you did so. And please tell me what you would do if you were me. Iíve planned to immigrate to Canada to solve this matter.

FiveParadox
In Canada, both genders, unless you choose to go to a gender-particular private school, are integrated into the same institutions from birth. Each and every stage in the public education system serves both genders in the same buildings, and the same programs (with the exception of many Physical Education courses).

Edit Corrected a typo.