True ghost stories?

I think not
Our story begins in the depth of the Opaku canyon, legend has it that the canyon is haunted by the spirits of the miners who once worked in the caverns picking away at the earth relentlessly searching for gold seams. Accidents were common occurrence claiming the lives of many of the miners who lived in the close by sleepy town of Pina springs. It is remembered fondly in the memories of those old enough to remember, that the last time the mine was open a terrible incident forced the mine to close, those who remember often think, was it an accident?

A warm breeze drifted over the busy canyon, it was almost lunchtime on the hot June day. The miners had worked frm six that morning, and were ready for a break. As the whistle blew to signal lunch, a piercing scream was heard in the distance. By the time the mine owner had arrived at the site, a crowd had gathered around a recently collapsed mine shaft. As the manager looked down he saw a hand poking through the rubble, upon closer inspection it appeared to be the hand of a woman.

The first police officers to arrive, crept down into the shaft to inspect the body, the first officer looked to his partner, and shook his head. Peter knew this was a sign that the woman was dead. The body was removed from the rubble and taken to the mortuary, where a surgeon could distinguish the cause of death. The miners looked down into the hole, each one puzzled as to how the woman had managed to fall to her death. The manager ordered the miners to continue with their work. The cause was decided as accidental, the case was never investigated any further, attempts had been made to discover the origin of the woman, or trace and relations but nothing was ever found. Life around the mine started to continue as normal, then one by one the miners started to disappear, bears and head hunters were blamed for the odd disappearances, but soon there were only five men left working on the mine. The five would soon become four before the day was over.

Oliver had worked on the mine since it had first opened, he was waiting for the opportunity to speak to the owner asking for a possible raise as he had three children and a wife to support, and a miners' wages weren't much. After finishing his lunch, Oliver made his way to the manager's cabin. He knocked once on the door and waited patiently. He had hoped to hear the shuffling footsteps of his employer by now, but nothing was heard, he noticed that the door was slightly ajar, he nudged the door lightly with his right hand, and peeked round the corner.

He looked over to the manager's desk; he noticed his chair was turned away, facing the wall, in a clear voice Oliver said, 'Excuse me sir, I'm here about my wages' Oliver had never been very good at making himself heard, moving a little closer to the managers chair, he said in a louder voice, 'I'd like to talk to you about the rise we had discussed' Again nothing, believing that his manager had chosen to ignore him out of rudeness, he motioned toward his manager to shake him, to see if he was sleeping, or being rude. As Oliver crept closer, a sense of dread loomed over him soon he would realise why his boss hadn't answered him.

He placed on hand on his shoulder, his boss felt oddly cold despite the heat of the cabin, Oliver swung the chair round to face him. Oliver startled by his discovery, stepped back in horror, his boss was sat slumped in the chair, a gaping hole in his chest, and a blooded pick axe lay near by. Oliver ran to the door, pulling quickly on the handle, shaking his head as if to shake the image out of his mind. The door was stuck, he pulled on the battered wooden door, hoping at least to pull it off its hinges if not open it first, but nothing worked. Oliver stopped suddenly as he heard a dense thud on the floor behind him. Dreading looking over his shoulder for fear of what he
would find, but frozen to the spot, he heard another thud hit the floor.

Oliver's hands clasped tightly over the handle of the door, if only he could let go. He caught himself breathing heavily as if he had been running, he cut himself short as he heard something scrape along the edge of the table. Glued to the spot with no means of escape, Oliver had to swallow his fear and turn around. Oliver could only see darkness, no longer a table or the other walls of the cabin just darkness, startled by the thought of becoming blind, he realised he had shut his eyes. Your so dumb Oliver, he thought it's probably only a mouse the whole mine is crawling with them. Oliver smiled to himself, comforted in the fact that he had been afraid of a mouse, but then if it was only a mouse, why were his eyes still closed. Oliver slowly opened one eye, than the other, he found himself staring directly at his boss's desk and chair, which now was empty.

Feeling a sudden urge and need to escape the cabin, he contemplated other methods of escape; he knew the only way was through the door. Raspy breathing suddenly interrupted his line of thought. He could feel someone behind him, someone's breath on the back of his neck. A heavy hand landed on his shoulder, the
raspy breathing stopped, 'I'd like you to do something for me' The voice behind him said, Oliver too afraid to speak stood there transfixed by the past events 'I'd like you to tell everyone about me, let them know who I am and that I'm coming back'
Trembling, Oliver asked, 'Wh- who are you?' A raspy cackle replied to Oliver's question, 'You don't remember me do you? No one remembers, they all forgot. I remember, I'm not going until everyone knows the truth' Shaken by the voice's remark Oliver asks, 'The truth about what?' 'How I came to be, the reason I am here, he must be punished' The grip tightened on Oliver's shoulder, 'You are going to help me' The cold hand moved across to the side of Oliver's neck, Oliver shivered.
'That is of course you don't want to help me' Oliver pulled away from the hand; he turned to face who had grabbed him.

Oliver's eyes widened, he stumbled back against the desk. Holding his chest, his heart beating furiously, he looked up to face his boss. The corpse looked down at Oliver, slowly bent down, and picked up the axe resting beside the door, 'Are you going to help me?' Asked the corpse, Oliver didn't recognise the voice it was unlike his boss's it was deeper, and dry. 'Time is up I'm afraid, good bye Oliver' With the corpses final remark, the arms pulled the axe down into Oliver's body; blow after blow the corpse hacked away at the body, before collapsing into a heap on the floor.

The final whistle blew outside it was time to return home. The remaining
miners, got into their cars, and started to drive home. Each miner wondering what
had happened to Oliver, and who would be next. Peter arrived at the cabin early the next day; the miners had discovered the body of Oliver whilst looking for the manager who had disappeared. From the condition of the body peter had decided the murderer was angry, and very strong, the weapon had also not been found, peter knew it was some form of sharp object with a point at one end. Peter had no leads, and no other clues. Several years later the mine re-opened, another manager was appointed to the mine, and more miners where hired.

Oliver's wife Clara had mourned her husband's death until she took her own life after killing her two sons who reminded her of Oliver, telling locals he would talk to her at night, taunting her. Her early departure left her two fostered sons, who were the site manager's boys. To live with their grandparents, Simon the youngest of the two died in a car accident, leaving only one son James. The disappearances of the miners had stopped, everything seemed as though it was back to normal.

One cold evening in September, James was working late in one of the mines, he heard someone calling for help, it sounded like a young woman, James wondered
how she had got into the mines. He stopped digging to hear for the cries for help. The cries continued, he could hear them coming from the collapsed mine shaft at the end of the dig site; no one had been there since the accident. James walked over to the sectioned off area, and looked down into the hole, he could see the shadow of someone in the hole. James ran to get a rope to lower himself down into the shaft. James tied one end around an unearthed boulder, and slowly lowered himself down into the crevice. Once he reached the bottom, he peered around in the darkness hoping to catch sight of the woman. He caught a glimpse of a shadow; it didn't look like a woman's shadow though, looked like a tall man, carrying some form of digging tool. Ah a miner, James thought. Odd I thought I was the only one working here tonight.

James felt something brush past his arm, a mouse? The entire mine was crawling with them, did feel larger than a mouse though. James squinted his eyes to
try to make sense of a shape standing no more than three feet in front of him, as the shape moved closer, he caught sight of the gaping mouth, and the half open eyes of a long since dead corpse. He looked down and saw a gaping hole in his chest, unable to speak or move. James stood there staring. 'I've waited a long time for you' Spoke the rotted corpse, 'A very long time' James backed away from the corpse, soon his back hit the wall he knew he had no escape. 'This is where he pushed me' James's looking confused, asked, 'Who brought you here?' The corpse laughed, it's degrading body trembling as it laughed, 'When I was alive, I was pushed down here, I screamed for help but no one came, not even your father' Something clicked in James head, his father had worked at the mine, he was too young to remember what he looked like, he remembered going to live with his
auntie, who had told him that his father and his uncle had died in an accident at work. James had gone to live with his grandparents in Fort Lyon before moving back to Pina springs, to find work at the mine. 'Who are you?' Asked James, ' I am the spirit of your mother' Shocked by this James fell backwards, hitting his head as he fell, 'Let me show you' Whispered the soft voice of his mother.

James found himself looking out over the mine, it looked as though it had only just started, he could see people mining for gold, and miners in the background about to go for their lunch. James looked over to a small cabin, he could hear an argument inside, he looked through the small window in the side to see a young woman, being hit by a strong looking burly man. He couldn't make out what they where saying over the commotion of the miners digging, he watched the door fly open and the man dragging the woman across to the now deserted area of the mine, he followed them. 'I can't believe you did this to me Nancy, after all I've done for you' Shouted the man, 'I took this job to support you and our two children, now u tell me one of
them isn't even mine?' The woman fell to her knee's as if begging or forgiveness, 'I didn't, he raped me. I've tried to tell you for so long' The man didn't look convinced,
'You honestly think id believe that my best friend would rape you?' The woman began to sob into her hands, looking up at the man as if to plead with him, James felt his heart sink, he realised that was his mum. The man bent down beside Nancy,
'This will be the last time I ever hear about you cheating on me.' With that he pushed her down into the mine, the sudden weight on the support beams caused the mine shaft to collapse, the woman screamed as the walls fell down on top of her. Her hand still reaching out from the debris as if she were asking for help. James turned to see the miners' rush over, and the man disappear behind the cabin.

The vision went dark and James found himself alone in the mine, confused by what he had seen, he believed he had hit his head too hard and passed out, as he stood up he was confronted by a spirit, whom looked exactly like the woman in his vision. The spirit floated close to James and said, 'Now you know the truth about what happened to me, I can move on. I have avenged my death by killing those responsible, now my spirit is free, thank you' With that the spirit disappeared into the darkness. James stood in the mine recalling the past events through his mind. He was startled to hear a car engine above his head. Soon light filled the hole, he looked up and saw peter.

Once out of the hole, James got into Peter's car and they drove off. Peter asked if he had seen the spirit the locals claimed to abduct miners.

'There's no such thing as ghosts' James replied.

I think not
Boo?

Dexter Sinister
" 'There's no such thing as ghosts' James replied."

I go with that view. The rest is hallucination, misinterpretation, confirmation bias, confabulation, wishful thinking, etc. There's no such thing as ghosts. Or supernatural critters of any other sort: gods, demons, fairies, sprites, pixies, gremlins, invisible pink unicorns, whatever. There's no good evidence for any of them, and until I see really convincing evidence--and I mean something like a big finger coming out of the sky to tap me on the head and a big booming voice intoning "YOU'RE WRONG!" witnessed by thousands of sober and responsible people and caught clearly and unmistakably on video--I ain't buying supernatural explanations for anything.

bhoour
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

" 'There's no such thing as ghosts' James replied."

I go with that view. The rest is hallucination, misinterpretation, confirmation bias, confabulation, wishful thinking, etc. There's no such thing as ghosts. Or supernatural critters of any other sort: gods, demons, fairies, sprites, pixies, gremlins, invisible pink unicorns, whatever. There's no good evidence for any of them, and until I see really convincing evidence--and I mean something like a big finger coming out of the sky to tap me on the head and a big booming voice intoning "YOU'RE WRONG!" witnessed by thousands of sober and responsible people and caught clearly and unmistakably on video--I ain't buying supernatural explanations for anything.

You sound as if you are trying ( real hard) to convince yourself.....that there are no such things as ghosts. Be careful, one of 'em might prove you wrong!

missile
Twice in my life I've seen a person vanish right in my line of sight, and have always thought of them as ghosts. So,until this is otherwise explained to me as something else, I am a believer.

bhoour
I too, have had several, experiences that cannot be explained.
I too am a believer, things supernatural.

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

Twice in my life I've seen a person vanish right in my line of sight, and have always thought of them as ghosts. So,until this is otherwise explained to me as something else, I am a believer.

That happened to me too.

But I was wasted.

Jersay
Now my whole class saw this figure walk across the gym. The boys as we headed into the locker, followed this figure before he disappeared. He was a shadowy figure and he spooked the heck out of all of us, even the teachers.

We did research and found a worker had been crushed to death under the gym when construction of the school began, and they didn't try to find him and give him a proper burial.

So explain that.

And also I have orbs on camera, when my father, my sister and I took pictures in a far-off cemetary near Pickering Ontario. Saleem Cemetery. It is suppose to show up in a book done by an American ghost-hunter. And appear in a show!

Explain the orbs.

And I am also Asatru, which is based on the Northern European religion, which has about spirits and monsters and such. As well as other religions of the same time period.

Explain that.

Once you explain all three, then I will believe you that there are no ghosts or spirits.

the caracal kid
indeed you will not convince a person who has experienced what he/she deems a ghost that ghosts don't exist. Studies on memory have demonstrated with rather mundane events that a person will stick with recall quite persistantly even when presented with "real evidence" (tapes of the event) that show something contrary.

Occultists will tell you is not what you see that is important, but what was really there.

Realists will admit that given the limited perceptual range of the human it is possible for stimuli to exist beyond and in specific condidions at the threshold of human range.

And of course, there is always the human brain actively creating on its own all the time. (with or without the use of mushrooms).

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by Jersay

Now my whole class saw this figure walk across the gym ... So explain that.

Insufficient information. A bunch of you saw something (only once I assume, from the way you told it) that you didn't understand, which you interpreted as a shadowy figure walking across the gym, and you're assuming a particular explanation, that serves what you're predisposed to believe, is the correct one without considering anything else. What was the lighting like in the gym, what kind of reflective surfaces were in it, were you all tired from a hard physical workout...? Too many unanswered questions to figure out now what that was. But you might usefully look up the meaning of the word pareidolia.

Quote:

Explain the orbs.

The key fact is that only the camera saw them. You didn't see them in real time, they were only in the images. Does no other explanation but ghosts occur to you? A camera lens is not an eye and doesn't behave like one. Most such effects are due to things like lens flaws, light flares, scattering, reflection, refraction, and other routine and well understood phenomena. Search the CSICOP web site, you'll find plenty of examples of careful explanations of such photographic flaws. There's also a good discussion on Phil Plait's site, The Bad Astronomer, about the kinds of effects you get with the CCD sensors used in digital cameras.

Quote:

And I am also Asatru, which is based on the Northern European religion, which has about spirits and monsters and such. As well as other religions of the same time period.

Explain that.

You seriously expect me to try to explain your religion to you? Sorry, that's your problem.

Or are you asking me to explain the presence of spirits and monsters in other religions? All religions have spirits and monsters in them, it's a common feature. What's to explain? Humans imagine all those things as explanations for otherwise inexplicable things. That's the simple explanation. You want more, try Joseph Campbell's excellent studies on myths and their meanings, or James Frazier's book The Golden Bough, or Carl Sagan's The Demon-Haunted World, or a thousand other references. I'm sure you can do your own research if you really want to.

Citizen
There are two categories of people here; those who've seen/heard/been contacted by spirits and those who haven't.

The latter group is obviously not going to believe the former.

I know there is something on the other side because I have been contacted many, many times. I've never seen a spirit, but I've received after death communications on more than one occasion.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Citizen

I know there is something on the other side because I have been contacted many, many times. I've never seen a spirit, but I've received after death communications on more than one occasion.

Citizen
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Why are you shocked, or surprised?

I think not
It's not exactly something you hear every day, would you elaborate? I'd love to hear how, when and where this communication took place.

Citizen
Well first off, I'm not a person who believes in coincidence. I think you'd find most, if not all, people have had some sort of communication, however, many people outright dismiss the idea as balderdash.

My own experiences are so numerous I really could write a book. Maybe I should. lol

Most of the communications I've received have been from my father, although I have received some from my mother as well as my grandmother. My experiences range from the overwhelming scent of my mother's favourite perfume when there was nobody else around (a perfume I don't use), to actually receiving helpful words from my father while I in the middle of some house repairs. Then there was our brand new television that started going off and on for a period of time immediately after the death of a close relative.

There is more, but my point is that I do believe there is something on the other side.

gd
My house creeks

Jo Canadian
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

I can certainly agree that I've also had a similar experience. It was at a motel I was living in and it was pretty unusual. NO I wasn't on anything either. I never did tell my friend about it, until I found that he was starting to spend an unusual amount of time at my apartment a couple of months later, and I guess our friendly neighbourhood spirit decided to pay him a visit since I wouldn't pay attention to it (they tend to hate that). He only told me of a spirit that was in the bedroom on night. I happened to fill in the rest of the spirits description since I got a good look at him too, and my buddy almost wet himself because it was the same thing he had seen.

Ignoring spirits or telling them to go away in most cases works quite well. (old inuit trick)

I think not
Creepy story Jo

s_lone
Absence of proof isn't the proof of absence.

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Jo Canadian

Ignoring spirits or telling them to go away in most cases works quite well. (old inuit trick)

Didn't work so well for poor ol' Scrooge.

cdn_bc_ca
First off, I believe.

Here are a few ghost stories I have heard from friends and relatives. Whether you believe them to be true is up to you:

1. Riverview Hospital

As some of you know, Riverview is a psychiatric hospital that was opened ages ago (maybe sometime in the 30's). My friend was working there a while ago as a temp for the summer break. His usual duties were to tend to the patients and clean their bed pans, sheets, distribute meals, etc. Anyway, early in the morning at about 3am or so during one of his night shifts, something peculiar happened. He was sitting at the front desk reading his book (as he often does during these shifts), and all of a sudden, he heard loud noises from the floor directly above... as if there was some kind of struggle and somebody was throwing chairs and yelling. Being the only person on shift on that floor, he immediately phoned the nurse upstairs to inquire about what the hell all the noise was about. When the nurse answered the phone and he inquired about all the noise, the nurse replied that nothing was going on and that all was quiet. Confused, he asked again if there was anyone yelling and throwing chairs and stuff. The nurse again replied that there was not a person or patient awake on his floor and that there was nothing remotely happening that could make that kind of noise.

Another time, again on night shift, he really noticed something out of the ordinary. During the nights, the lights on all floors are dimmed to about 30% brightness. Just bright enough for the night watch person (one per floor) to see down the hallway but not too bright as to keep the patients awake. From the watch desk, he was able to see down both hallways and keep a lookout. During these times, he would usually read his book and look up to check the hallways periodically or when a patient needs assistance. One night, as he lookup up from his book, he noticed something at the far end of the hallway. He couldn't really make out what it was because the lights were dimmed but it looked like an old person with a cain walking across the hall. Strange, he thought, because visitor hours were long gone. He continued to watch this person with interest keeping in mind that he had heard stories of ghosts in this wing of the hospital. It appeared that the old person simply walked across the hall and sat down on a chair in the hallway and now was motionless. Here he was at one end of the hall wide eyed watching something at the other end of the hall that appeared to be sitting in a chair not moving. After a few seconds of silence, he contemplated his options. Considering the fact that he had just watched "The Exorcist" the other night, he was a little freaked. But he had to go over and confront the person... it was his job. So he closed his book and got up and look down the hall... but the person sitting on the chair was gone.

2. Hotel in England.

A friend of a friend of mine works as a flight attendant. He mainly does the asian routes now but back when he was on reserve he was required to fly anywhere at a moments notice. He got called in one time for a flight to England. Upon arriving there, he checked into his room at a hotel that he described as old fashioned and kind of creepy. He didn't really care because he was dead tired from the flight and just wanted to sleep. So as soon as got into his room, he changed out of his uniform and went to bed. Immediately he fell into a deep sleep. He awoke some time later and still half alseep opened his eyes. Because it was night, he couldn't really see much but at the foot of his bed he noticed an something like an outline of a person standing there. He wasn't sure if it was actually a person there or if it was just an outline of something else that just happened to look like it. In any event, he kept still and kept watch with half open eyes to see if it moved. Eventually, still being tired, and noticing that the outline hadn't moved in a while, he decided to get up and get a drink of water. When he turned on the lights, he looked over to see what was causing this outline of a person... but there was nothing there that could have caused this. There was just a blank wall.... strange. Was he dreaming? After he got his drink, he still felt tired and seeing that it was night, he decided to go back to bed... but this time, leave the bathroom light on and keep the bathroom door slight ajar so as to not give the room too much light. When he climbed back into bed and checked out the spot where he had seen the outline, he saw nothing except a blank wall. Hmmm. Weird. So he thought nothing of it and went back to bed. He awoke sometime later and half opened his eyes to check the spot. This time, not only did he see something, he saw a person! Immediately his eyes widened but he was scared stiff! He couldn't move! He thought he was getting robbed or something. But no, the person's wearing a suit. And there's something peculiar about this person, it was just standing there motionless, hands to the sides, looking directly at him completely expressionless. At this point, he was scared sh!tless and unable to move. Thoughts were racing through his head... Was it a ghost? What does he want? Am I in his bed? So the only thing he could do was close his eyes and say something to effect of "I am truly sorry, I just got in today and I am very tired. I will only be here until the morning. Please let me sleep in peace and I will not come here again..." When he opened his eyes, the person was gone.

Later on, he inquired if there were any strange things in that hotel and little did he know that the hotel was built on a old graveyard.

3. Nanjing

This story was told to me from an asian school colleague from China. Although the story is short, she was quite perplexed by it and can only come to the conclusion that what she saw was a result of something supernatural. Anyway, while she was living in Nanjing, she often would go for walks in the park during her days off. This one day, while walking, she felt the call of nature and so she went looking for a public restroom. Note that in China, as soon as you leave your apartment, you are never alone as there are so many people packed into so little space and it is commonplace to find yourself walking among crowds of people. But on this occasion, while walking towards the restroom, she saw only one person infront of her (about 50 feet ahead) also walking towards the restroom. That was strange. Not only this, she observed that the person infront of her was wearing some old fashioned clothes... mainly, it was a "Qipao" en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qipao (external - login to view) and a very beautiful one at that. She decided to talk to this lady and see where she got such a beautiful dress. When she called out to her to get her attention, she simple kept walking as if she didn't hear anything. Again, she called out but by this time, the person had already gone into the restroom. Oh well, since she was going to the same place, she would bump into her anyway. When she walked into the restroom, it was dark (as there were no lights except for the small window at the top near the ceiling) and it stank of urine and feces and it was damn dirty. Looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in ages. There was no way she was going to relieve her bladder here and also could not wonder why the other person would consider going here as well. But, wait, where is she? Looking around, there was nobody and even the toilet stalls (that had no doors on them) didn't even have toilets! Starting to get sick from the stench, she decided to leave all the while wondering what happened to the other lady. She saw with her own eyes the person walk into the same restroom as her and the restroom has only one entry/exit. huh? At the time, she didn't really think much of it, but looking back she realized that that person wasn't really a person after all.. but something supernatural. Looking back at history, Nanjing was the location of huge atrocities committed by the Japanese during WWII and alot of innocent women died from rape, torture, and execution during those times. She could only conclude that this was a result of those events.

Personally, I have not experienced anything remotely similar to the ones I've described above. However, I do believe that there is something supernatural beyond our explanation that exists in this world or universe or whatever.