Careful Where You Put That Tree

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Forget planting trees to negate your SUV's contribution to global warming -- according to Stanford University atmospheric scientist Ken Caldeira, forests in the wrong location can actually make the Earth hotter.

Plants absorb large amounts of carbon dioxide during photosynthesis, so scientists and policy makers have long assumed new forest growth helps combat global warming. At an American Geophysical Union conference in San Francisco earlier this month, however, Caldeira rolled out a provocative new finding: Trees may be good at capturing carbon dioxide from the atmosphere, but their dark leaves are also very efficient at soaking up sunlight, which is later released as heat. At certain latitudes, the net effect of these two processes is warming, rather than cooling.

"Forests do store carbon, and as a result, the planet initially cools a little -- maybe tenths of degrees," Caldeira said. "But over the long term, trees' heat absorption warms things up more."

Continued

Here that everyone, let's have a KILL THE TREE DAY :roll:

Timetrvlr

Electoral Member
Dec 15, 2005
BC interior
I think I've spotted the problem. You see, I live in Canada and we have a national policy of covering all of our trees with snow for many months of every year. The white snow on the trees and bare ground reflects nearly all the heat for a substantial portion of the year. I think it's a good policy and should be implemented worldwide to curb global warming. Those people in Brasil and equatorial Africa are really making the problem of Global Warming much worse!

:wav: