MERRY CHRISTMAS from Nascar James

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Today as we celebrate the joyous occassion of the birth of Christ, I'd like to personally give my warmest wishes to everyone for a very Merry Christmas and hope you all enjoy the rest of the Christmas season.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Unite against terror, Pope Benedict XVI says in Christmas speech.

Pope Benedict XVI Delivers Christmas Address

Reuters:
By Philip Pullella
Sun Dec 25, 7:02 AM ET

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Benedict, in his first Christmas address, on Sunday urged humanity to unite against terrorism, poverty and environmental blight and called for a "new world order" to correct economic imbalances.

The Pope made his comments to tens of thousands of pilgrims gathered under umbrellas in a rainy St Peter square for his "Urbi et Orbi" (to the city and the world) message and blessing.

In his address, telecast live from the central balcony of St Peter's Basilica to tens of millions of people in nearly 40 countries, he also urged his listeners not to let technological achievements blind them to true human values.

He said humanity should look to the Christ child for encouragement in times of difficulty and fear.

"A united humanity will be able to confront the many troubling problems of the present time: from the menace of terrorism to the humiliating poverty in which millions of human beings live, from the proliferation of weapons to the pandemics and the environmental destruction which threatens the future of our planet," he said.

"Do not fear; put your trust in him! The life-giving power of his light is an incentive for building a new world order based on just ethical and economic relationships," he said, speaking in Italian.

Marching bands of the Swiss Guard and Italian police played for the crowd near a larger-than-life nativity scene, making for a festive atmosphere despite the rain.

The address by the leader of the world's some 1.1 billion Roman Catholics was different in style than those of his predecessor John Paul, who died last April.

John Paul wrote his Christmas addresses in free-style verse and resembled poetry, whereas Benedict's was in prose like a normal homily or speech.

After the address, Benedict wished the world a Happy Christmas in 33 languages, including Arabic, Hebrew, Swahili, Japanese and Latin. His predecessor sometimes used twice as many languages on Christmas.

DO NOT MAKE TECHNOLOGY A GOD

Since his election, the Pope has repeatedly reminded Catholics not to give in to an "ethical relativism" where circumstances can be used to justify actions that should be considered wrong in all cases.

The Pope, wearing a gold cape and with a gold mitre, continued in that line on Sunday address by focusing on the dangers of technology and progress.

"Today we can dispose of vast material resources. But the men and women in our technological age risk becoming victims of their own intellectual and technical achievements, ending up in spiritual barrenness and emptiness of heart," he said.

"That is why it is so important for us to open our minds and hearts to the birth of Christ, this event of salvation which can give new hope to the life of each human being," he said.

He also urged respect for the rights of people suffering in the Darfur region of Sudan, made another appeal for peace in the Holy Land and called for "actions inspired by fairness and wisdom" in Iraq and Lebanon.

The Pope asked God to favor dialogue on the Korean peninsula so that "dangerous disputes" there and elsewhere in Asia can be solved peacefully.

The Sunday Urbi et Orbi followed a Christmas eve midnight mass attended by a congregation that packed St Peter's Basilica.

In his homily at that mass he urged the world's Catholics to be beacons of peace in a troubled world.

The next major event on the Pope's Christmas season calendar is a mass on the Feast of the Epiphany on January 6.

In early January, the Pope is due to publish his first encyclical, a major writing addressed to all Church members. The encyclical deals with the individual's personal relationship with God.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
When we look at Christmas celebrations from around the world this year, it appears that the message of peace is speading to some areas.

In the West Bank town of Bethlehem, thousands of tourists and pilgrims gathered in Bethlehem, the birthplace of our Lord Jesus Christ. Festivities there capped the most peaceful year since the outbreak of Israeli-Palestinian fighting in September 2000.

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
RE: MERRY CHRISTMAS from

What is this? A neocon Merry Christmas party?

Anyways, Merry Christmas to all of Canadian Content members with no exceptions.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: MERRY CHRISTMAS from Nascar James

FiveParadox said:
I second that motion.

Speaker: "The motion is deemed adopted."

Merry Christmas. ;)
And happy holidays.

Merry Christmas, FiveParadox! Although Christmas day is almost over, Christmas festivities will no doubt continue well into next week.

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta

I love christmas, last night I went to church with my family, and today I had a great christmas dinner. Dang I ate soo much turkey and nanimo squares.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Yep, we also celebrated the joyous occassion of Christmas last night by attending midnight mass. Today we attended a special Christmas day Sunday service as well.

We have so much leftover food that we're very likely going to wind up eating turkey sandwiches all of next week! It's a shame that snacking for most of the afternoon somewhat spoiled my appetite for dinner. On the other hand, it could have also been attributed to the occassional toasting with my favorite Cutty Sark.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

unclepercy

Electoral Member
Jun 4, 2005
Baja Canada
Nascar_James said:
Yep, we also celebrated the joyous occassion of Christmas last night by attending midnight mass. Today we attended a special Christmas day Sunday service as well.

We have so much leftover food that we're very likely going to wind up eating turkey sandwiches all of next week! It's a shame that snacking for most of the afternoon somewhat spoiled my appetite for dinner. On the other hand, it could have also been attributed to the occassional toasting with my favorite Cutty Sark.

Hi, Nascar! Good to see you back. I've missed you so much.
I'm out of town using another computer, but I'll be back on
Thursday. Don't leave again!

Uncle Percy

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
unclepercy said:
Nascar_James said:

Hi, Nascar! Good to see you back. I've missed you so much.
I'm out of town using another computer, but I'll be back on
Thursday. Don't leave again!

Uncle Percy

Merry Christmas, Uncle! I was on hiatus for awhile, but now I'm back. Good to see that you're still here. You're one of the moderates on this forum.

Hope you and the family are enjoying this wonderful Christmas season. We had a warm and sunny Christmas today in Tulsa, real nice. Once again, Merry Christmas, Uncle!

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannakah, and Happy Rammadan to all. And Happy New year.

For most of my family Christmas is just a time to get together and celebrate the importance of family and giving.

My cousins (who we spent Christmas with) are religious though, and me and my dad attended church Christmas eve because I don't feel comfortable sleeping on somebody's floor and then spitting on their beliefs. It was nice enough.

Anyway I hope you all had/are having happy holidays, whatever your personal beliefs.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Hope everyone's enjoying the Christmas season!

Was just out running some errands with the wife. We stopped off to have some dinner at Popeye's. It's a Cajun style fast food chicken joint. After we had gotten our order and seated to eat, I noticed they had an interesting really large sized billboard outside. It read "Happy Birthday Jesus". Now that is what the Christmas season is all about. I mean many businesses display "Merry Christmas", but Popeye's has just raised itself a class above the rest!

Hat's off to Popeye's!