I would rather live my life as if there is a God

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
RE: I would rather live m

Christ. That's deep. I might try that. Does that include following commandments and what not?

Roy

Electoral Member
Nov 23, 2005
Alberta
Believing in god sometimes makes you think twice. Like if you are going to do something you know is really wrong but then you beileve that you will be punished later for it then you might refrain. I dunno it has kept me outta trouble quite abit, but everyone is different. I am not some kind of religious freak, and I don't belive on pushing my belief onto others, and I also don't like the no-god people pushing theirs on mine.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
iamcanadian said:
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out
there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

I'd rather live my life, to the fullest ,:eek:ccasion7: ,......... then die.
than not live my life , by second guessing things :confused3: , because someone told me I should, :director: and then die anyways.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The first post is nothing more than a restatement of Pascal's Wager.

Did he win? :wink:

Believing in god sometimes makes you think twice. Like if you are going to do something you know is really wrong but then you beileve that you will be punished later for it then you might refrain.

I can honestly say that I've been a better Christian since I became an atheist than I was when I was a Catholic. I kind of miss going to confession and scaring the priest though.

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

Rev,

Last time I checked, nobody won that wager.

As for your being a "better Christian" since becoming an atheist, I've noticed a major tendency in that direction among people in general. Funny, isn't it? :D For example, I've been a much better follower of Jesus' teachings since becoming a Pagan than I was before that happened.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Re: RE: I would rather live my life as if there is a God

iamcanadian said:
But then what are the limits on what one can do?

:roll:

Moral limits.....
....you can be a nice person, even if you don't believe in "god".

'magine..........

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
iamcanadian said:
I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out
there isn't, than live my life as if there isn't, and die to find out there is.

with due respect............this sounds a lot like "insurance". :wink: or hedging one's bets.

What would happen if you die and find out there is??? The only thing that it will determine is WHAT "God" really is".....and not much more.... *unless one is bound by the FEAR , WRATHS of a "God"... and has defined "God" as a punitive /angry sort of chap....(humanoid???) entity......who takes his /her vengence out on simple earthlings called humanoids.

One does not even know for certain (and CANNOT know) if ones individual consciousness /personality /memory is ??? transported into a realm of beyond that preserves the same memory , consciousness. One does not know if this new format of consciousness (IF there is one) continues to change and grow and evolve into another dimension......or sits on the couch all day doing just what pleases them.

Having examined many "belief " systems .....I choose to follow NONE. but to live each day to the most productive, CONSTRUCTIVE, AND POSITIVE level one can. All we have is this moment in time.....and that is the reality of life. The unknowns such as the after death situation will become known to us soon enough....... and if there is something post life as we know it......fine . If not......( for eg.....if it is like that nothingness that exists while one is under anesthetic for surgery)......fine too. Maybe too many WANT there to be something after this life to give meaning to THIS life. Don't work that way for YT......as the real meaning exists in the life of the present, the life full of imagination, creativity, and potential.and exploration. Some unknowns remain unknown..........and others are there for us as humans to explore and learn about. But the upshot is : LIFE is the only real VALUABLE treasure each of us have....and what we do with it ........the errors we make, the positives we create ....are all part of the aventure called "Life".

just some (many?? :wink: ) thoughts on this.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth

iamcanadian said:
That's scary Rev. You say you have no limits on what you can do. What stops you from doing anything then?

Do you have a conscience?

What's scary is that you need a "god" to set limits for you. You feel an imaginary being stops you from going beyond limits that were set up for you, in a book, by somebody else .

Summer

Electoral Member
Nov 13, 2005
Cleveland, Ohio, USA (for now...)

Iam, a conscience does not require a god, and a guide by itself can perform the function of restricting one from doing evil deeds. The difference lies in whether the guidance comes from within or from without. That which comes from within is far more powerful than that from without, because when it comes from within it means that one has truly CHOSEN to do what is right from one's own free will, rather than from any fear of retribution or punishment. An external fear can be overcome far more readily than an internal conviction, and indeed, there is more impetus to do so.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

iamcanadian said:
That's scary Rev. You say you have no limits on what you can do. What stops you from doing anything then?

if I may............there is nothing but the law and one's own personal values that guide /limit what one can do.

You CAN drive insanely DRUNK.......and kill a person/s but there are consequences of this behavior. Not only how one feels about it after but the consequence of law. No one is going to stop you. (that is an example) Some people do not have the ability to feel remorse and this cannot be implanted in them.

One CAN Do anything they want. they can kill, rape, maim, torture, and gosh knows what else.....and they can assist, guide , motivate, be constructively productive,humanitarian etc. It is also about CHOICES......and the motives behind their choices.

as far as "conscience" goes........there are people that are born without such an entity and they are called psychopaths., sociopaths , personality disorders. One cannot evaluate each person using one criteria. That is the joy, the pain and the complexity of the human being.

but even if they lack what is called the conscience.......that does not mean that they do not know "right" from "wrong'----legal from illegal, ---or ethical from unethical. The knowledge is there. but either ignored or their actions are "justified" to themselves by themselves.

iamcanadian

Electoral Member
Nov 30, 2005
www.expose-ontario.org
I think your problem is missunderstanding the concept of God.

I like to think God is my conscience and conscience is my god. It has nothing necessarily to do with a book anyone wrote.

Even Rev here believes in the concept of God. Only he believes that he is God; hence his use of the term "being able to live with himself" as the only limit to what he can do.

This is what's scary. A lot of people think that way. So this also explains some of the social problems we have today, as people think they are god more and more.

People around them are then subject to whatever influnces that person had (good and bad) in their lives which shaped what they are willing, or able, to live with themselves with.

A lot of what we each experience is subject to the experiences that other people had in their lives which where beyond our control. So we all better start thinking more about what other people are doing to other people; since their independant experiences will inevitably, eventually, come back to haught all of us in one way of another. Look at 9/11 for example.