Filter out certain posters?


unclepercy
#1
Is there any way you can change your settings to filter out certain posters? There are two here that are like broken records, and I'd be much happier if I never saw another word from them again, but
I enjoy the other people and don't want to leave.

Does this forum have that option? If not, could we?

Uncle
 
Ocean Breeze
#2
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy

Is there any way you can change your settings to filter out certain posters? There are two here that are like broken records, and I'd be much happier if I never saw another word from them again, but
I enjoy the other people and don't want to leave.

Does this forum have that option? If not, could we?

Uncle


Isn't that a form of prejudice ......??? so why would the forum want to build something like that into it???
 
peapod
#3
Try ignoring their posts uncle, if you don't like what they post, don't read it.
 
Andygal
#4
Let me guess, you want to ignore the Rev, and who else Ocean? Peapod? Pastafarian?, No1important?
 
Ocean Breeze
#5
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Try ignoring their posts uncle, if you don't like what they post, don't read it.

hot damn peapod........ you just turned the clock at 10,000 (posts)

Congratulations !!!!
 
peapod
#6
Really :P gosh! and here I am all sweetness and light ha! its the old aseop fable...you cannots please everybody Actually uncle was contributing a few good thoughts, and he/she knows he does not have to read the posts of someone they do not like...that was just a shot at someone..better to just come out and say it...canucks like it better that way.
 
TenPenny
#7
Most forum software has an "ignore" feature (I don't know if this one does), but the most commonly used part of it is to joyously post that you are putting another poster on "ignore".....much like a 5 year old, sticking her fingers in her ears and saying "lalalalalalala" when you talk...frankly, if you want to ignore people, do so, but PLEASE don't brag about the fact that you are ignoring them. It makes you appear extremely childish.
 
Ocean Breeze
#8
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Really :P gosh! and here I am all sweetness and light ha! its the old aseop fable...you cannots please everybody Actually uncle was contributing a few good thoughts, and he/she knows he does not have to read the posts of someone they do not like...that was just a shot at someone..better to just come out and say it...canucks like it better that way.


agree!! "we" don't play those manipulative games ...

ie. Ya got a problem??? spell it out and let's deal with it. No underhanded, behind the scenes nonscense which only causes dissention and suspicion.

*********
 
Ocean Breeze
#9
Quote: Originally Posted by TenPenny

Most forum software has an "ignore" feature (I don't know if this one does), but the most commonly used part of it is to joyously post that you are putting another poster on "ignore".....much like a 5 year old, sticking her fingers in her ears and saying "lalalalalalala" when you talk...frankly, if you want to ignore people, do so, but PLEASE don't brag about the fact that you are ignoring them. It makes you appear extremely childish.

spot on !! TenPenny. So why would we need such childish features on this forum???
 
peapod
#10
Ya, forget the mint juleps and 24 inch waists...up front and to the point, that way we get it outs of the way and can have some fun
 
unclepercy
#11
Actually what made me think of it was another forum. Didn't I read somewhere that Andem was asking for suggestions on how to make this board more enjoyable? Well, it finally occurred to me that having this filter feature would be good for me.

And no, I was not planning to call names. I have been skipping those repetitive boring posts for a long time. I can keep doing it.
I'll stay, thank you very much, and continue my daily search into Canadian news and chat. Perhaps I can contribute a good thought along the way - or you can help me, like you did with Iqaluit.

Percy
 
peapod
#12
You know what uncle, maybe your not so bad after all. If your sincere and really mean that, than it will be nice to have you around...nuff said, I don't like butter, especially when I am spreading it..
 
Reverend Blair
#13
Quote:

Is there any way you can change your settings to filter out certain posters? There are two here that are like broken records, and I'd be much happier if I never saw another word from them again, but
I enjoy the other people and don't want to leave.

You might try giving them different arguments to respond to. I know I get tired as hell of typing the same things over and over again, but as long as the same old misconstruations are being perpetuated, the answers are the same.
 
Ocean Breeze
#14
Quote: Originally Posted by unclepercy

Actually what made me think of it was another forum. Didn't I read somewhere that Andem was asking for suggestions on how to make this board more enjoyable? Well, it finally occurred to me that having this filter feature would be good for me.

And no, I was not planning to call names. I have been skipping those repetitive boring posts for a long time. I can keep doing it.
I'll stay, thank you very much, and continue my daily search into Canadian news and chat. Perhaps I can contribute a good thought along the way - or you can help me, like you did with Iqaluit.

Percy


"boring" posts can work both ways. Don't think anyone here is all that concerned that their posts are being "ignored". Not a big deal.
 
peapod
#15
Exactly ocean, even if I type to myself, I don't care...I am releasing inner demons, with a pinch of mischief, and dash of nasty... *looks around and whistles*
 
unclepercy
#16
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote:

Is there any way you can change your settings to filter out certain posters? There are two here that are like broken records, and I'd be much happier if I never saw another word from them again, but
I enjoy the other people and don't want to leave.

You might try giving them different arguments to respond to. I know I get tired as hell of typing the same things over and over again, but as long as the same old misconstruations are being perpetuated, the answers are the same.

I have, Rev. But oftentimes, it seems that this forum is not interested in the same things as I am. I guess that goes with being an outsider looking in a frosted window. I'll keep trying.

Percy
 
peapod
#17
Stop it! first jimmy, now you You are making me feel bad, and I don't like it...okay already!! here I will open the window for you :P
 
Ocean Breeze
#18
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Stop it! first jimmy, now you You are making me feel bad, and I don't like it...okay already!! here I will open the window for you :P


caution sweetpea:......easy to get suckered..


Quote:

it seems that this forum is not interested in the same things as I am.


hmmm. that might well be the case. Depends on your interests...
 
Reverend Blair
#19
Quote:

I have, Rev. But oftentimes, it seems that this forum is not interested in the same things as I am. I guess that goes with being an outsider looking in a frosted window. I'll keep trying.

Hey, it happens. Nobody ever wants to talk about my antique walking tractor, for instance. I like to mention it once in while anyway though.
 
unclepercy
#20
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Stop it! first jimmy, now you You are making me feel bad, and I don't like it...okay already!! here I will open the window for you :P


caution sweetpea:......easy to get suckered..


Quote:

it seems that this forum is not interested in the same things as I am.


hmmm. that might well be the case. Depends on your interests...

Suckered? I think Peapod can take care of herself. Besides my suckering tends to peter out after about 3 blocks.

My interests here is Canada, although I have others. I focus on you because we are adjoined, I have a few friends who are Canadians, we speak the same language, and the most interesting thing of all: What is so different about Canada? Why does Canada declare they have a totally different national identity than the US?

Because of the internet mainly, I see so many Americans taking more of an interest in Canada, because we are able to communicate. Many years ago, the phone expenses were prohibitive. It's sort of like being adopted and finding your biological brother in your 40's. I just want to know about you.

And can I say one more thing? I'm tired of being called a bully.
All of us lumped together like a big ole ball of clay. What if I said you are all a bunch of toothless hockey players? Now that's not true. You just can't group 230 million people together and refer to us as bullies. OK, I got it out.

Uncle
 
Cosmo
#21
Well, I've actually suggested that to Andem, Percy. I'd love that feature. I've seen it at other forums and think it's a wonderful device.

As a mod, I wouldn't be able to take advantage of it, but as a forum user I think filtering out certain posters would do wonders for my own peace of mind. I'll ask Andem about it again.
 
missile
#22
As there are over 330 milion Americans,the assumption that there could be only 230 million bullies there could be accurate
 
Reverend Blair
#23
Quote:

What if I said you are all a bunch of toothless hockey players?

Well, I can't skate, so you'd be half right.

Quote:

I'm tired of being called a bully.
All of us lumped together like a big ole ball of clay.

The actions of the government reflect on the people, in your case badly. Your country does act like a bully though, and your Republican Party/Bush administration seems to have that as it's only diplomatic tool. Somebody put them in office.
 
Cosmo
#24
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The actions of the government reflect on the people, in your case badly. Your country does act like a bully though, and your Republican Party/Bush administration seems to have that as it's only diplomatic tool. Somebody put them in office.

Not fair, Rev. We've had lots of "leaders" I not only didn't put in office, but hated. To be judged personally by the head of my country is inaccurate. What if an American called you a money grubbing liberal with no sense of social conscience just because that party won? It's hardly a description of you.

I do like to see the US folks here. I think their leader is a crazed puppet, but not every American voted for him. When people start supporting his policies, that's when I see it as a personal morals and opinions.

I don't recall what political leanings UnclePercy has but I still agree with the "ignore" feature. I think it might pour some oil on troubled waters around this place.
 
Ocean Breeze
#25
Quote:

And can I say one more thing? I'm tired of being called a bully.


ok...... then ya might stop acting like one. ( nothing personal....... Your collective and governmental bullying is well documented and known world wide. Only YOU can change how you wish to be treated.----and that is by changing YOUR (collective etc) behavior.
 
Ocean Breeze
#26
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The actions of the government reflect on the people, in your case badly. Your country does act like a bully though, and your Republican Party/Bush administration seems to have that as it's only diplomatic tool. Somebody put them in office.

Not fair, Rev. We've had lots of "leaders" I not only didn't put in office, but hated. To be judged personally by the head of my country is inaccurate. What if an American called you a money grubbing liberal with no sense of social conscience just because that party won? It's hardly a description of you.

I do like to see the US folks here. I think their leader is a crazed puppet, but not every American voted for him. When people start supporting his policies, that's when I see it as a personal morals and opinions.

I don't recall what political leanings UnclePercy has but I still agree with the "ignore" feature. I think it might pour some oil on troubled waters around this place.

you have a point... but the fact remains that the "image" of America has been "bully" for a long time.......even before the bush regime. Many americans RELISH in that too. The bush regime has only punctuated it to the point one has to be blind not to be aware of it. This generalization has become part of the territory.......... and although it is unfortunate.......it has been well 'earned." (IMHO)



as far as the ignore feature on the forum......... makes no never mind to YT. Maybe there should be a vote.... What cha think??? Democracy and all that..
 
Cosmo
#27
Quote: Originally Posted by Ocean Breeze

you have a point... but the fact remains that the "image" of America has been "bully" for a long time.......even before the bush regime. Many americans RELISH in that too. The bush regime has only punctuated it to the point one has to be blind not to be aware of it. This generalization has become part of the territory.......... and although it is unfortunate.......it has been well 'earned." (IMHO)

I agree, Ocean, that globally the view of Americans is not flattering and that there are good reasons for this. But to condemn any individual for nation, religion, creed or colour just goes against my sense of right and wrong. I guess I'm sensitive to it because I've experienced discrimination as a woman, a lesbian and a femninist. I feel like saying all Americans are bullies is akin to saying all feminists are hairy-legged man haters. It just ain't so, despite that generalization being well earned in some instances.

Yes, the people did vote Bush in. I'm not all that savvy when it comes to politics, but I do know that getting elected in the States doesn't even mean the majority of individual voters are supporters. It seems to be some weird complicated system. It follows that many of the US people are not supporters of Bush and his ilk.

Quote:

as far as the ignore feature on the forum......... makes no never mind to YT. Maybe there should be a vote.... What cha think??? Democracy and all that..

If Andem does see fit to add such a feature to the forum, each individual would choose to use it or not. I think democracy is only critical when something is being foisted upon people that they have no choice in employing. I still maintain that it would be useful to me personally (if I weren't a mod) to be able to simply filter out some of the posters. I'd rather just ignore those who can't change their minds and won't change the subject on certain issues. I think an ignore feature would be a democratic issue only if you're forced to use it.
 
Reverend Blair
#28
Quote:

Not fair, Rev. We've had lots of "leaders" I not only didn't put in office, but hated. To be judged personally by the head of my country is inaccurate. What if an American called you a money grubbing liberal with no sense of social conscience just because that party won? It's hardly a description of you.

I have been blamed for the acts of a government that I didn't put in power. Like many of the Americans on this site, I explained my stance and and joined in the criticism of that government and the people who put them in power.

There are also nuances to that. Nobody who knows me would accuse me of being a Liberal supporter, but I do defend them if I think they are being treated unfairly, just as I criticise the NDP government here when they screw up. I've even defended the Conservatives because they signed a letter (along with the BQ and NDP) telling Martin to increase foreign aid. I've also criticised Canadians for not doing more to speak out on issues from the environment to trade to foreign aid.

The point stands though. Uncle does not like to have his country criticised, yet he has not taken a stance against the actions of that government. Far too few Americans have. In an age where one country on the planet puts itself above all others and attempts to dictate to the entire world, it is up to the citizens of that country to curb the actions of that government. The rest of us are not allowed to participate in their elections...well, unless you're rich enough to run a 527 campaign.

If he wants to learn more about Canada, all he has to do is ask. If wants to stop hearing about how badly the USA behaves, all he has to do is change the government to one that acts according to international law.
 
unclepercy
#29
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote: Not fair, Rev. We've had lots of "leaders" I not only didn't put in office, but hated. To be judged personally by the head of my country is inaccurate. What if an American called you a money grubbing liberal with no sense of social conscience just because that party won? It's hardly a description of you.I have been blamed for the acts of a government that I didn't put in power. Like many of the Americans on this site, I explained my stance and and joined in the criticism of that government and the people who put them in power.
There are also nuances to that. Nobody who knows me would accuse me of being a Liberal supporter, but I do defend them if I think they are being treated unfairly, just as I criticise the NDP government here when they screw up. I've even defended the Conservatives because they signed a letter (along with the BQ and NDP) telling Martin to increase foreign aid. I've also criticised Canadians for not doing more to speak out on issues from the environment to trade to foreign aid.
The point stands though. Uncle does not like to have his country criticised, yet he has not taken a stance against the actions of that government. Far too few Americans have. In an age where one country on the planet puts itself above all others and attempts to dictate to the entire world, it is up to the citizens of that...

Quote has been trimmed
Yeah, right. Have you been drinking this early? I like you, but when you make sweeping statements like that - addressed to an individual - I have to resort to Dr. Pepper. Glug, glug.

Cosmo - sigh of relief - at last, the voice of reason. The truth is: I'm afraid to say anything about Bush, and I don't know what to say, and furthermore, I didn't come here to talk about Bush. I'm here to learn about Canada.

Percy
 
no1important
#30
I know some chat boards have an option to filter out users and it is handy as some bozo always seems to try and wreck things.

You can do it with forums, but personally I would never use it myself but if someone wants to use a function like that, its fine by me.
 
no new posts