Filter out certain posters?

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

The truth is: I'm afraid to say anything about Bush, and I don't know what to say, and furthermore, I didn't come here to talk about Bush. I'm here to learn about Canada.

OK.......fair enough. All ya gotta do then is stay within the topics that are completely Canadian. International politics is not the area for you then.

Now if you have something to say about bush , say it. Personally I would be curious to see how his supporters see him. What virtues does he have that are not being portrayed/displayed. to the rest of the world.

..........but then he ( bush topic) belongs on another several hundred threads now.......

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Yeah, right. Have you been drinking this early?

It's always noon someplace.

Quote:

I like you, but when you make sweeping statements like that - addressed to an individual - I have to resort to Dr. Pepper. Glug, glug.

We both live in democracies, Uncle. That makes it our responsibility when our leaders turn out to be one-eyed pig-feckers. That's not very comfortable, I know, especially with the lack of competent leadership available today. I take responsibility for limiting Martin's excesses and keeping Harper as far away from the reins of power as possible though. Obviously I haven't been successful, but I still acknowledge my responsibility to do so.

If you aren't here to talk about Bush, I suggest you not partake in threads about him. If the subject comes up in a thread you are participating in, just ignore it, or make a short comment and leave it at that.

I don't participate in many of the discussions on cell phones because I hate the damned things, for instance. I know that they will be a leading cause in the demise of civilisation as we know it, but I find people's fascination with them humouress and figure that civilisation could use a bizarre ending anyway...something worthy of a Douglas Adams book...so I generally stay away from those threads. Sometimes I will mention that I once had one, but got rid of it because people kept calling me, but that's about as far as it goes.

Ocean Breeze
rev: know what you mean about being selective re: where one posts. It is not even selective as such.......but interest level. Might do a read only of some areas on here.......but not participate.

.......so I don't see what the issue is. It might make a poster who is biased against another poster feel better when he clicks the ignore button... but why can't same poster ignore on his /her own accord??

oh well.......(sigh)

unclepercy
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Quote: Yeah, right. Have you been drinking this early?It's always noon someplace.
Quote: I like you, but when you make sweeping statements like that - addressed to an individual - I have to resort to Dr. Pepper. Glug, glug.We both live in democracies, Uncle. That makes it our responsibility when our leaders turn out to be one-eyed pig-feckers. That's not very comfortable, I know, especially with the lack of competent leadership available today. I take responsibility for limiting Martin's excesses and keeping Harper as far away from the reins of power as possible though. Obviously I haven't been successful, but I still acknowledge my responsibility to do so.
If you aren't here to talk about Bush, I suggest you not partake in threads about him. If the subject comes up in a thread you are participating in, just ignore it, or make a short comment and leave it at that.
I don't participate in many of the discussions on cell phones because I hate the damned things, for instance. I know that they will be a leading cause in...

Quote has been trimmed
First, you overestimate your own importance and certainly mine.
Taking responsibility for someone you don't even know is - well, suggesting that you have control over them. Do you? If not, it ain't your fault. Human beings are notoriously fallible.

The subject of this thread was not about Bush, but somehow it always seem to funnel back to him. Or his rotten government.
Or his this-that-and-everything. You pretty much stay on the road, and you only veer off now and then. However, I asked for the filter feature because two people on this board cannot seem to stay off the subject - it's like an obsession. I can do without that.

I hate cell phones too! I resisted them until about 2 months ago, when my VoIP phone became so unreliable that I absolutely had to have one to call and report my other phone out of service. Hell of a note. It's like having a newborn baby strapped to your hip. What a nuisance!

Uncle

Ocean Breeze
UP......

with due respect (honest).......One is hard pressed to see what the issue is. If you are tired of the amount of bush topics on here (international category ...........and yes they do slip in , in other areas due to the fact he is an in your face type of chap)............. simply ignore them and go to another topic that is more Canadian in substance/content. There is an area for each province and a lot of other areas too......

Maybe international politics is an area that you want to stay away from..........as the bush topic will be coming up again and again. That is the reality of that one. mind you ........ignoring bush , ain't gonna make him go away.

...........and there are enough of us here who are incensed by his actions to make sure it won't die as a topic..

but back on to the feature........ lets see what the site managers, have to say about that one. Mind you.......some of us might like to click "ignore" at every neocon type poster ....

Reverend Blair
We're way off-topic, but I doubt this will last long enough to warrant starting a second thread now...

Quote:

First, you overestimate your own importance and certainly mine.
Taking responsibility for someone you don't even know is - well, suggesting that you have control over them. Do you? If not, it ain't your fault. Human beings are notoriously fallible.

I don't overestimate our importance at all. If I was important the bastards would make me wear a tie.

I don't underestimate the importance of everybody in a democracy taking responsibility for the actions of their government though. At the very least that means staying informed instead listening to rehearsed sound-bites so that you can develop a truly informed opinion.

We do have a certain amount of control over our governments. We elect them. Bush won a second term despite the fact that he has mangled your economy, let oil companies write energy policy, and lied to start an illegal war.

Here's what I mean about responsibility...the rest of the world understood what Bush had done well before your last election. The world press reported widely about the various problems with Bush's claims of WMD before the war started. They wrote and spoke extensively about the problems Bush had forming a coalition with anyone and had to bribe several countries, including Austrailia, with rade and aid deals. Some of your own press, such as The Nation, did the same. There was much discussion about a US invasion being illegal before the invasion began. There were articles, with much dicumentation about torture in Afghanistan before the Abu Grahib story broke.

All of that and nearly every American I talk to says either that they didn't know or that Bush has been doing the right thing and acting like a saint. He got a larger percentage of the vote the second time around than the first.

If democracies are for, of and by the people, then the people bear some responsibility.

Quote:

The subject of this thread was not about Bush, but somehow it always seem to funnel back to him. Or his rotten government.
Or his this-that-and-everything.

That's because, and I don't think that most Americans really understand this, what your president is doing is having a negative effect on the entire world. Even your domestic laws, like drug patent legislation and agricultural subsidies, have a huge effect on the rest of the world. Your foreign policies can absolutely destroy entire continents if you aren't careful. People talk about Bush because of the damage that he is doing.

Ocean Breeze
Quote:

every American I talk to says either that they didn't know or that Bush has been doing the right thing and acting like a saint

might be that the media FILTERS out most of the important news and feeds the mushrooms that inhabit the u.s. territory a steady does of selective items that fit the regime's agenda.(manure quality) There are too many things that are not permitted on the news .....since the bush regime took office.

so maybe they really don't know as they (from what I gather from my US relatives) rely on the telee for their info. Not all that inclined to research the info presented to them , let alone question it.

might be that by adding a filter mechanism for posters.........some simply want to continue to stay uninformed /or blind. This is a discussion forum.......and all views and posters are a part of this whole debate. It is not an education channel.......although lots can be learned. the bush regime just happens to be a hot topic .......and will continue to be so until something major changes.

manda
I don't know about the idea of filtering certain posters, what if there is a debate where that poster has added some monumental discussions? I think the ability to block certian members from your personal messages is a fine idea, as there are some sneaky scary people that could create havoc...despite the help of moderators. I often choose the option to skim and ignore, if I see more of the same old same old

no new posts