Man glued to toilet seat, sues.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Man glued to toilet seat, sues store
Fri Nov 4, 2005

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A Colorado man who had a panic attack when he found he was glued to a toilet seat in a Home Depot restroom has sued the home improvement giant for negligence, saying staff ignored his plight.

Retired electrical engineer Bob Dougherty, 57, said on Thursday he was stuck in the stall with his pants down for about 20 minutes and that two years after the 2003 incident he was suffering from post-traumatic stress, which has triggered diabetes and heart complications.

"I have these nightmares every night where I am locked in this dark room, with no windows, no doors, no fresh air, no route for escape. I wake up in these cold sweats," Dougherty said.

Spokesmen for Home Depot Inc. could not immediately be reached for comment.

Dougherty said in a lawsuit filed last week in Boulder, Colorado, that he thought he was having a heart attack when he realized his buttocks and legs were stuck to the toilet seat in the Home Depot restroom in Louisville, Colorado.

He explained his plight to an employee who came into the restroom but other Home Depot staffers thought it was a hoax and he had to wait until someone else came in to again summon help.

Dougherty is claiming unspecified damages for help with medical and psychiatric bills, for humiliation and for the diabetes he said he has developed as a result of the stress.

"Home Depot not only ignored my plight, they refused my plight," he said. Dougherty said he suspected the glue had been placed there as a prank by three teens seen earlier in the store.
Except in those lawsuits where the customer sues because the hot coffee was hot, I am usually quite sympathetic to customers who suffer from unusual forms of company negligence, but for me, something here does not add up.

My first question is, for what reason was the glue on the toilet seat? If it was initiated for some purpose (such as a repair) by the management, my next question is, was there not a warning posted to avoid using that stall? If management did cause the glue to be placed there, but did not have a warning placed, it is in error.

If it ordered both work and sign, but the workman forgot, then the workman should be penalized.

Finally, if it was the work of “the three teenagers seen earlier in the store” I fail to see why the company should be held liable for his victimization by someone else’s prank.

In the case of the employees who did not respond to a request for aid, they should at least be penalized, possibly even fired. They have not adequately learned the axiom, "The customer is always right," or at least, always presumed to be serious.

As for the customer, I am unaware, and do not believe, that diabetes or a heart condition can be contracted from a toilet seat — not even one with unset glue. Other than a possible loss of epidermis when finally pried off the seat, I do not believe much physical damage was done to the man.

As for psychiatric damage, if such damage could be done him through this experience, I believe he owes the company a vote of thanks for being instrumental in discovering his frailty under such benign conditions. How much worse would it have been, had he been inspecting firearms in WalMart’s sporting goods department when his instability manifested itself?

As for his claims of humiliation, I strongly suggest that he has greatly damaged my belief in its severity, by the fact that he has gone public with details of his humiliating experience.

If the worst thing that ever happens to Bob Dougherty is that he is doomed to spend twenty minutes in a public rest room with his arse stuck to a toilet seat, his will be a most charmed life.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
There is no mention of the type of glue involved. The incident is two years old. There is a possibility that some teenagers might have been responsible. Go home Mr. dougherty. Save your money. You don't have a case.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
In another court case,a man sued his ex girlfriend for glueing his genitals to his abdomen,his butt cheeks together and painting nasty words on his back with nail polish.All he received for his pain and suffering was 46 thou. :) She used the ever popular SuperGlue.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
missile said:
In another court case,a man sued his ex girlfriend for glueing his genitals to his abdomen,his butt cheeks together and painting nasty words on his back with nail polish.All he received for his pain and suffering was 46 thou. :) She used the ever popular SuperGlue.
:)

she (X-G'friend ) must have had the chap chained down pretty good to achieve all that. Or he was sedated /comatose.. :roll:

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I was thinking that he just fell asleep [as we all have] after sex..and she just went ballistic :D Her lawyer claimed in her defense that it was just some of their usual rough sex routines.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
missile said:
I was thinking that he just fell asleep [as we all have] after sex..and she just went ballistic :D Her lawyer claimed in her defense that it was just some of their usual rough sex routines.
:wink: :)

this and the toilet seat man.......make for good human "interest " stories..

Why would anyone want to draw attention to himself this way??? (sueing after an embarrassing incidenet)People sure can be weird.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
This is the most retarded thing I have ever heard. Did he have no sense of humour at all?

Does anyone really get claustrophic type symptons sitting on a toilet for twenty minutes? Like, gimme a feckin break. Sounds like a pansy.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
In all reality, this guy was not humiliated in the least. It's all a game for money. He probably planned the whole thing as soon as he realized there was glue on the seat.

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Nascar_James said:
In all reality, this guy was not humiliated in the least. It's all a game for money. He probably planned the whole thing as soon as he realized there was glue on the seat.

would go with that...........as that would be in the finest "american tradition". :roll:

what is really funny......is that this is Home Depot........and not a screw driver to be seen.. :wink:

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
To finish this thread off for good, does anybody remembers the following? I think its from Kentucky Fried Movie but I may be wrong.

A nude woman finds herself stuck to the toilet seat in her own bathroom. When her husband can’t get her loose, he calls the fire department.

As the fire truck pull up, the womans calls out for her husband to give her something with which to cover up. Her distracted husband tosses her a sombrero, which she clutches tightly against her lap.

“Well,” asks the husband after the first fireman has surveyed the situation, “can you help her?”

“Don’t worry, Mac! We can save your wife, right enough,” the fireman replies, then scratches his head and continues, “but I’m afraid that Mexican is a goner.”