Do Jellyfish Have nerve endings

View Poll Results: Do Jellyfish Feel Pain?
Yes 1 14.29%
No 4 57.14%
Why the hell would I care? 0 0%
WHHAAA??? 2 28.57%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

manda
So Greta and I were debating this last night and we would like to take a poll. Do you think that Jellyfish feel it if they (the clear moon ones) are tossed like frisbee, or if it would be terribly cruel, for scientific~ish purposes, a gaggle of the purple ones were shoved into a microwave.

What do you thinK?

Ocean Breeze
Maybe not the way humans do.....but they must register their version of discomfort.

and yes.....IMHO.......it WOULD be cruel.---

Jo Canadian
I've poked them and prodded them with shells before...and on occasion hacked them with a canoe paddle. They never seem to respond or recoil to any laceration or puncture that they get. I'm sure if they have a nervous system it would be for communication between whatever functions their body parts need to communicate for.

I do know that they're like worms, If you hacked one into two, both pieces eventually become two...at least with the red jellyfish.

GL Schmitt
My only response, manda, is that you and Greta will win the debate.

Whether or not Jellyfish feel pain is beside the point, since they lack communication skills, they are ill equipt to win with any argument.

Their only hope is if you both have weak stomachs.

Andygal
they do have a nervous system but it's very crude. I don't think they are capable of feeling pain.

pastafarian
They have nerve endings, but since they don't have a central nervous sytem, they operate by local reflex arcs, which makes me think they withdraw from pokes and the like with the same feelings that we have during the mallet and the knee-jerk at the doctor's office.

manda
Well pasta, they can not withdraw, as they have no way to move on land and can only bob along with the tide. If they get caught on land in direct sunlight for the lowest tides of the month, it's sayonara jelly! They have no manner in which they can recoil. I believe that the only function that they can perform is to absorb food particles that attach to their bodies during the soujourn through the tides.

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

Well pasta, they can not withdraw, as they have no way to move on land and can only bob along with the tide. If they get caught on land in direct sunlight for the lowest tides of the month, it's sayonara jelly! They have no manner in which they can recoil. I believe that the only function that they can perform is to absorb food particles that attach to their bodies during the soujourn through the tides.

mk ... but you're cleaning the microwave ... :P

GreenGreta
Manda's and my total goal (after long discussion) is to grab an old microwave (I'm bringing mine). FILL IT RIGHT UP with the suckers and turn it on. You don't have to clean it, can toss it right out.

But, and most importantly, would it fit into the "best smells" or "worst smells" catagory?

I think that they may feel pain. Of course, in all honesty, I believe trees feel pain so what do I know.

pastafarian
Manda, of course they can withdraw, and they swim too by rhythmic contractions of their bells, I've seen them while snorkelling!

I admit, I've never seen one move under its own power on land (they must drive), but if you put one in a shallow puddle and pour vinegar on part of its bell, I bet it'll try to pull away.

Don't you watch Spongebob Squarepants?

Perhaps you are confusing them with Portoguese men-of-war which dont swim, but pull fish towards their "eating" bits with their tentacles after stinging them.

Anyway, theres a video of a jellyfish swimming at these links:

www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=...swimming&meta= (external - login to view)

manda
No pasta, the area I'm from has a stink load of the suckers that attemp to attach themselves to my leg when swimming or getting pulled up behind the boat waterskiing. "stomach" really doesn't contract, it's more pushed by the swell of the water. They really can't recoil. HOwever I would hate to run into one of the fellows I attacked after it's stingers were stuck to my leg driving around in a hummer. I have to get my old microwave and an extention cord. Hey Greta, I'll bring the cookies!!! Popcorn is your job

Jo Canadian
The Jellies on PEI here do pump themselves to move, much like a pulsating umbrella. However that's only for locomotion. When cut, they sometimes stop pumping for about 1-2 seconds then continue as if nothing happened afterwards, they don't seem to withdraw or recoil at all.

It may depend on the jelly though, there are so many different kinds some simple, some complex.

Jelly info for those with too much time on their hands like me. (external - login to view)

manda
I'll put money on the worst smells catagory Greta

Twila
I believe you have to have a receptor (brain) in order to have nerves. Jelly fish don't. Science says they've proven that Lobsters and crabs have no pain receptors.

However. The thought of maliciously doing something to any living creature is cruel. Especially if the only purpose served is for amusement.

GreenGreta
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

I believe you have to have a receptor (brain) in order to have nerves. Jelly fish don't. Science says they've proven that Lobsters and crabs have no pain receptors.

However. The thought of maliciously doing something to any living creature is cruel. Especially if the only purpose served is for amusement.

This is my favorite argument. (remember, I think trees have feelings, ok) If the only purpose served is for amusement.... Ok, how do you feel about
Horse Racing
Polo
Fox Hunting
Cat Whipping
Dog Fights
Throwing rocks at squirrels
Dog Racing
That stupid Pamploma bull run thing.
Calgary Stampede (you remember a bunch of horses died falling off that bridge this year)
Countless other events that occur around the world. I hate all this ****, I especially hate watching it on tv and seeing "horsy fall down". I hate it, watching a horse fall breaks my friggin heart. Just so we can have a freakin race to amuse ourselves.

Great, now you got me going.

no1important
Quote: Originally Posted by GreenGreta

This is my favorite argument. (remember, I think trees have feelings, ok) If the only purpose served is for amusement.... Ok, how do you feel about
Horse Racing
Polo
Fox Hunting
Cat Whipping
Dog Fights
Throwing rocks at squirrels
Dog Racing
That stupid Pamploma bull run thing.
Calgary Stampede (you remember a bunch of horses died falling off that bridge this year)
Countless other events that occur around the world. I hate all this ****, I especially hate watching it on tv and seeing "horsy fall down". I hate it, watching a horse fall breaks my friggin heart. Just so we can have a freakin race to amuse ourselves.

Great, now you got me going.

They should all be banned, thats how I feel.

pastafarian
Jo Canadian is right to point out that the loose term "jellyfish" covers several classes of animal that look the same superficially, but that are actually as different from each other as gerbils are from humans, so trying to generialize about "jellyfish" is stupid. Silly me.

Quote:

However. The thought of maliciously doing something to any living creature is cruel. Especially if the only purpose served is for amusement

The "phylum" (humans belong to the "vertebrates" at this level of classification) that jellyfisn belong to comprises the the first type of creatures to possess a recognizable nervous sytem, a loosely arranged "neural net" they have sensory nerve cells as well as true muscle cells and cells that make the muscle cells work.

Jellyfish (or at least most of them) can tell food fron non-food and won't pull non-food into their mouths. they can sense light and some species even use the sun to migrate, so it's pretty clear to me that they sense their environment.
Even single-celled creatures like algae, amebas and even bacteria swim towards thing they "like" and away from noxious stuff.
Lobsters and crabs definitely have nerve cells that tell them when ther're being damaged, the argument is over whether or not they "feel" pain.
I agree with the Scandinavians that they probably don't, but "Until you've walked in another's shell..."

I definitely agree with the last part, though. The gratuitous taking of any life always seem like a bit of a tragedy to me.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Well Twila, the stupid things have caused me more pain with their stingers over the past 26 years that I feel they have whatever they get coming to them. however, Like we have stated, this would be to answer a question that Greta and I have.

She, her son, and her microwave just have to get here and eat cookies first.

GreenGreta
We're coming, this summer, save em up.

manda
Yee haw! lets see who else we can get to come east...I'll bake a sh!tload of cookies and other scrumptious snacks

GreenGreta
banana thingies...

I checked the vote, majority rules. They feel nothing, so let's also poke them with sticks and roast them like they are marshmallows.

manda
Oh yes...how could I forget the banana thingermajiggers.

Poking them with sticks doesn't make them gush...but it might tenderize them

no new posts