Worst Smells?

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
As there is a Best Smells thread,it is my perverse pleasure to introduce this one :D And my choice for the nastiest smell is: Wet dog!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
When I was a kid we were throwing rocks at a dead bull that had been cut open for some reason. It had been sitting in the sun for a couple of days. We managed to burst the bowel open. That was the worst thing I ever smelled and I will never throw rocks at a dead bull again.

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: Worst Smells?

Reverend Blair said:
. . . I will never throw rocks at a dead bull again.
What about a Papal bull . . . Pastor aeternus, for example?

As for smells: Ever try to clean the vitriol from a cat's hide after it had an altercation with a skunk? 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
What about a Papal bull . . . Pastor aeternus, for example?

As for smells: Ever try to clean the vitriol from a cat's hide after it had an altercation with a skunk?

As long as the Papal bull was alive, why the hell not? :wink:

I have cleaned cats after they've been sprayed by skunks. Dogs too.

The worst skunk incident was when Kari got sprayed. It was the middle of the night, we were dead asleep. Kari jumped into bed and sat on my chest. She'd been outside and got sprayed by a skunk. Her little doggie brain told her that if she jumped into bed everything would be better. The smell was so strong that I thought a skunk had actually come into the house.

That's not a good way to wake up. Not good at all.

bhoour

Electoral Member
May 10, 2005
earth
Re: RE: Worst Smells?

GreenGreta said:
Really old lady, possibly russian, in a dress, no underwear, legs open, hot day.....

:puke:

that is really......um.......sick. hope you caught a waft from a distance and weren't to close............eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!

Ten Packs

Council Member
Nov 21, 2004
Kamloops BC
mrmom2 said:
Sour crude oil ,Settling ponds at Weyco mill holy feck my nose dosen't work anymore 8O

I hear that - worked at the Esso Plant up the hill, once in a while Trans-Mountains sample point would get a shot of crude, in our Batch of Finished Product..... WOW!

Also hear you about the Mill, although I commend them for the multi-millions they have spent to clean it up since we moved here in '87. But some days going to the Dump can be a real challenge.... :roll:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The most vile-smelling substances in the world, according to The Guinness Book of World Records, are ethyl mercaptan and butyl seleno mercaptan. Each smells like a combination of rotting cabbage, garlic, onions, burned toast, and sewer gas.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
And that stuff (ethyl mercaptan, the world's smelliest substance according to the Guinness World Records) is the stuff that makes you smell the gas you use at home. Gas is odourless, and they have to use ethyl mercaptan so you can smell it if there's a gas leak -

Ethanethiol (common name ethyl mercaptan) is a colorless liquid that has a strong odor, resembling that of rotten eggs. The odor is familiar to many people who use natural gas and propane for cooking and heating, as it is used as an additive to give those normally odorless fuels a distinctive smell. The smell acts as an alert that there is a gas leak. The chemical formula for ethyl mercaptan is C2H5SH. It was discovered by Maxwell Burrows.

According to the 2000 edition of the Guinness Book Of World Records, ethanethiol is the "smelliest substance" in existence.

Ethanethiol is toxic and in large doses will cause headaches, nausea, and a lack of coordination, as well as liver and kidney damage. The doses of ethanethiol from natural gas are not toxic.

Butyl seleno mercaptan is the stuff that skunks spray to produce that awful smell.

Other awful smelling compounds are -

Smelliest Compound
These man-made compounds are more complex and arguably stinkier than the simpler molecules. They also have catchy names.

"Who-Me?"

Five ingredients are used to make this sulfur-based chemical, which smells of rotting carcasses. "Who-Me?" was developed during World War II so that French resistance fighters could humiliate German soldiers by making them stink. In practice, it was very difficult to restrict the application of the chemical to the intended target.

---------

"US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor"

American chemists developed this combination of eight molecules, said to emit a stench resembling that of human feces, to test the effectiveness of air fresheners and deodorizers.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Nope NCG gases are the worst Blackleaf 8O fecking stuff smells so bad we get it on our clothes or gear straight in the garbage they goes.I can't stand that fecking job :wink:

Eh_Degray

May 13, 2007
(southern) Québec, Canada
:angryfire: Stink Bomb Recepie:

1 Glass Mason Jar
1 egg
1 cup of milk (any milk will do)
1/2 cup Mayo
(Basically anything else that will fit and smell bad when rotting for a week)

Directions: Blend together in a bowl untill nice and mixed. then pour into air-tight (MUST BE AIR-TIGHT) glass mason jar. Put in warm area for about a week (if you have a strong stomache test by wofting). When ready, bring it to your designated target - smash and run!;-)
:lol: Have fun kids!