Worst Smells? (Worst Smells)

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by no1importantView Post

Burnt coffee and burning flesh.

I am not sure if I should ask about the burning flesh????

Cat litter box.

Vereya
Once I walked into a cat's litter box. Everyone was laughing, but for some reason I didn't join in at that time

Meeshee
Yuck. I would be traumatized if I did that.

Blackleaf
Apart from the French, who smell of a vile mixture of cooked snails and stewed frogs' leg combined the with the strong, overpowering whiff of the garlic in which they cook those things in (so strong you can actually smell them in many parts of Kent), the smelliest things in the world are, according to the Guinness Book of Records, the "US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor", a vile mixture of eight chemicals with stench resembling human feces, only much stronger, designed to test the efficacy of deodorizers (external - login to view) and air fresheners (external - login to view). The other one, "Who me? (external - login to view)", is a mixture of five sulfur-containing chemicals and smells like rotting food and carcasses. "Who-me?" was designed during World War II (external - login to view), for use by the French Resistance (external - login to view) to humiliate the German (external - login to view) soldiers. Dalton of Monell has combined the worst of the two to make "Stench Soup".

Who Me? was a top secret (external - login to view) sulfurous stench weapon (external - login to view) developed by the American Office of Strategic Services (external - login to view) during World War II (external - login to view) to be used by the French Resistance (external - login to view) against German (external - login to view) officers. Who Me? smelled strongly of fecal matter (external - login to view), and was issued in pocket atomizers (external - login to view) intended to be unobtrusively sprayed on a German officer, humiliating him and, by extension, demoralizing the occupying German forces.

The experiment was very short-lived, however. Who Me? had a high concentration of extremely volatile (external - login to view) sulfur (external - login to view) compounds (external - login to view) that were very difficult to control: more often than not the person who did the spraying ended up smelling as bad as the sprayee. After only two weeks it was concluded that Who Me? was a dismal failure. It remains unclear whether there was a successful Who Me? attack.

Who Me? was listed by the The Guinness Book of World Records (external - login to view) as one of the two smelliest substances, the other being "US Government Standard Bathroom Malodor (external - login to view)", used to test deodorants and air fresheners. [1] (external - login to view) Pam Dalton, a cognitive psychologist (external - login to view) at the Monell Chemical Senses Center (external - login to view) in Philadelphia (external - login to view), describes the smell of Who Me? as resembling "the worst garbage dumpster left in the street for a long time in the middle of the hottest summer ever".

A recipe for a kilogram of the same or equivalent substance in circulation on the Internet specifies 919 g of white mineral oil (external - login to view) as an inert carrier, and 20 g of skatole (external - login to view), 20 g of n-butanoic acid (external - login to view), 20 g of n-pentanoic acid (external - login to view), 20 g of n-hexanoic acid (external - login to view) and 1 g of pentanethiol (external - login to view) as the active ingredients.

wikipedia.org
Last edited by Blackleaf; May 18th, 2007 at 12:36 PM..

Blackleaf
I forgot that I've already replied to this thread.

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by BlackleafView Post

Apart from the French, who smell of a vile mixture of cooked snails and stewed frogs' leg combined the with the strong, overpowering whiff of the garlic in which they cook those things in

Blackleaf, you are at your best when you are slamming the french.

Meeshee
Quote: Originally Posted by DurkaDurkaView Post

Blackleaf, you are at your best when you are slamming the french.

I guess I should not tell people my very french last name then....oh and my obsession with garlic?

DurkaDurka
Quote: Originally Posted by MeesheeView Post

I guess I should not tell people my very french last name then....oh and my obsession with garlic?

So your not a vampire I guess?

Meeshee

So your not a vampire I guess?

I can be if that floats your boat.

DurkaDurka

I can be if that floats your boat.

Hmm... I have only met one Vampire (Count Chocula) I had nightmares for years.

Meeshee

Hmm... I have only met one Vampire (Count Chocula) I had nightmares for years.

No way you met him? What`s he like? I invited him to be prom but he never returned my call.

DurkaDurka

No way you met him? What`s he like? I invited him to be prom but he never returned my call.

He looked like Billy Ray Cyrus with pointy teeth... it's probably a good thing he tuerned you down on your prom.

Meeshee

He looked like Billy Ray Cyrus with pointy teeth... it's probably a good thing he tuerned you down on your prom.

OMG not Billy Ray?? I LOVE him....lmao.