What would you do?

Andygal
Hmmm....I know! Pay somebody to shoot Stephen Harper, GWB and Karl Rove!

no1important
Well maybe paying someone to kidnap "W" and send him to the Hague would be an idea.

Andygal
Hmm....Yeah your right. I don't really believe in the death penalty anyway. Better for him to stand trial for his hienous crimes.

Hank C Cheyenne
hmmm...Id buy a ranch outside Calgary...one outside Toledo (hometown)...and maybe one in Florida or Texas... really nice pads, would spend spend bout $5 mill for all three...then of course a few cars...and then some would go to family....then I'd travel...

and Rev can I get you adress... I want to send you some slippers and a new pen refill....lol jk

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by zenfisher

Quote: Originally Posted by manda

Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

We all want to do something "honourable" with part or even most of this big windfall but wouldn't it be fun to take a couple hundred thousand and blow it on a weekend.

I'd probably do a couple hundred thou on Christmas for the family, and SHOES he he he

Hmmm...Maybe you should open a shoe store... :P

but then I'd have to share!!, I'd just buy all sizes but my own to prevent an overdose.

#juan
Still, to lay in a couple dozen or so cases of Glenfiidich, The same of the best Champagne, the best wines from the Okanagen, Salmon and oysters fom B.C., Beef from Alberta, Lobsters from the maritimes Be a hell of a party.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Still, to lay in a couple dozen or so cases of Glenfiidich, The same of the best Champagne, the best wines from the Okanagen, Salmon and oysters fom B.C., Beef from Alberta, Lobsters from the maritimes Be a hell of a party.

Now there's thinking nationally that's one party I would love to be at!!!!

GL Schmitt
I don't know?

What do you think?

Should I move this to the "Pessimist" thread?

Quote:

What are the odds?
Not a lotto chance
CBC News Online
Oct. 24, 2005

Big lottery jackpots mean somebody’s going to win big. Sometimes. By Saturday, Oct. 22, 2005, the Lotto 6/49 jackpot – one of two national lotteries in Canada – had grown to $30 million. By the time ticket sales were cut off later that day, Canadians had put down $54 million.

When the numbers were drawn, there was no jackpot winner. Out of approximately 27 million tickets sold, no one had beaten the odds of 1 in 13,983,816.

Those of us who do play the lottery – and approximately one-quarter of Canadians play weekly – have heard those odds many times before. Pay $2 and your odds of becoming a millionaire are approximately 1 in 14 million.

They sound like pretty long odds. So long, in fact, that you are more likely to:

* Be killed in a terrorist attack while travelling (1 in 650,000).

* Die – during an average lifetime – of flesh-eating disease (1 in 1 million).

* Be killed by lightning (1 in 56,439).

You are three times more likely to be killed in a traffic accident driving 16 kilometres to buy your ticket than winning the jackpot.

In 2002, you were about 10 times more likely to die after being bitten by a poisonous snake or lizard than to win a Lotto 6/49 jackpot. Odds for the snakebite death are 1 in 1,241,661, according to the U.S. National Safety Council.

Want to increase your chances? Buy 50 tickets a week. You are very likely to win the jackpot at least once – in 5,000 years.

Say you’re standing on a football field. You’re blindfolded and holding a pin. A friend has released an ant on the field. Your chance of piercing that ant with your pin is about the same as winning a Lotto 6/49 jackpot. One in 14 million. Not exactly a sure bet.

You can increase your odds – for a price. You could try to buy enough tickets to cover all possible six number combinations, but at two bucks a shot, that comes out $27,967,632. Hardly seems worth the effort, even with the biggest jackpots, especially if two or three other people come up with the same idea.

Don Pister, spokesperson for the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Commission, says there’s no rule against it.

“Theoretically, you could try,” Pister told CBC News Online. “But I don’t think your tickets could be processed in time for the draw.”

Pister adds that when jackpots hit record territory, the bulk of sales tend to be recorded on the day of the draw, particularly in the afternoon.

South of the border, jackpots for the Powerball lottery have reached as high as $340 million.

To play the Powerball lottery, you select numbers from two pools of numbers. You pick five numbers from a pool of 55 numbered balls. The sixth number – the Powerball – is picked from the second pool of 42 numbers.

Before April 2005, the first pool of numbers contained 53 balls. By adding two balls to that pool, the odds of winning decreased from around 1 in 120.5 million to 1 in 146.1 million. The longer odds meant fewer jackpot winners, which allowed the money to be carried over to the next draw, creating even bigger jackpots.

Mike Orkin, a professor of statistics at California State University, East Bay, and author of What are the odds?, describes the odds of winning the Powerball lottery this way:

“Let's say you have one friend in Canada, and you put everybody in Canada's name on pieces of paper, and put them in a giant hat and draw one out at random. Then, you are 2½ times more likely to pick your one friend's name than you are to win the Powerball jackpot if you buy a single ticket.”

Orkin notes that bigger jackpots drive higher ticket sales – but he says that won’t improve an individual’s chance of winning. It does, however, improve the odds that in that pool of ticket buyers, there will be a winning ticket.

Buying the first ticket will increase the chance to secure financial freedom. No ticket, no chance. One ticket, you’ve improved that to facing astronomical odds. Buying more than one ticket makes your chances a little less astronomical.

If you want to win big, consider taking that $10 a week you might spend on lottery tickets and investing it. After 35 years, you will be guaranteed $100,314.56 – if you get an eight per cent return on your investment. With a 10 per cent return, your weekly $10 would be worth a guaranteed $166,742.59. Make it $12 a week and at 10 per cent, you’ve squirrelled away $200,091.10 after 35 years. Again, guaranteed.

Of course the whole equation goes out the window if you didn’t join the office lottery pool – and you’re the only one who shows up for work the day after the numbers are drawn.

#juan
People do win

And they all find somthing to do with the money. A little good natured daydreaming has been fun. Good topic.

Reverend Blair
Well the odds suck, but they don't suck any worse than for a regular draw. I guess the increased number of tickets sold likely increase your chances of having to share, but so what?

Besides, why not drop $5.00? That's two tickets with the Extra. You have two 1:14,000,000 chances of winning (***NOTE*** not 1:7,000,000). You also have a chance of winning a smaller prize...the smaller the prize the better your chances.

Think about it, it might be a longshot, but $5.00 is about the price of a beer in most bars, about 1/2 the price of a pack of smokes, about enough gas to fill your lawnmower 3 times.

I don't agree with people who spend hundreds of dollars hoping that they'll win the big one, but spending a little on it really doesn't hurt.

#juan
I generally go for the $5.00 mini-dip. If you win, great, but if you don't win, it didn't cost that much. Were all optimists to some degree.

Hard-Luck Henry
Just out of interest, is your lottery a state run affair, or does it - like ours - line the pockets of a few fatcats, whilst donating a token amount to good causes?

#juan
Canadian lotteries are fairly tightly run. There is a set percentage that has to go to prize money and the rest goes to various charities and to admistration costs etc. My only complaint is that there are too many of them.

no1important
Actual payout will be 54.3 million due to heavy sales. It was won in Western Canada Lottery jurisdiction, so some luck bugger in Manitoba, Sask or Alberta won it. (btw- BC is its own lotto jurisdiction BCLC)

So Rev or Vanni did you check your numbers? Feel free to send some out this way.

Someone in Western Canada may be $54 million richer after Wednesday night's Lotto 6/49 draw.

Unofficially, the winning numbers are:

5 11 20 30 37 43 Bonus: 31

A B.C. Lottery Corporation official said the winning ticket was sold somewhere in either Alberta, Saskatchewan or Manitoba.

Clich here for rest of article

no1important
They just said on news it is Alberta now.

But a $143,000 winner in Nanaimo

Reverend Blair
I won, I won! According to the the numbers that No 1 posted, I have three numbers right. Is that a free ticket or ten bucks?

missile
It should be a couple of thou[here's hoping]

no new posts