KEE-RYST! AM I IMPRESSED!

Ten Packs
"Car White-Water Kayaking" ? ? ?

(It's another one of those that can take a couple minutes to D/L, and in little bits - you'll want to see it all at once, so let it load, and open another window in the meantime.)

www.photonlabs.dk/jokes/cooldriver.html (external - login to view)

zenfisher
That looks like fun.

Ten Packs
FUN?

I'm a very good driver (now where did I hear THAT before, and why am I thinking about Quantas?)

BUT THERE'S NO FLIPPIN' WAY I COULD EVEN TRY THAT!

zenfisher
A little practise and away you go.

Reverend Blair
It's just a more extreme version of autocross. I couldn't do it as well as the guy in the clip either, but with a little practice I bet I could do pretty well.

The real secret is power to weight ratio giving you skid control...you kind of point with the steering wheel, then steer with your foot. Like driving on ice, buy without the front wheels sliding.

If somebody will loan me a Lotus 7, I'll be happy to demonstrate.

Hard-Luck Henry
Hey, Rev - I'm sure you're aware that Lotus haven't made a "7" for about 30 years. Have you seen the Caterham Super 7 (external - login to view)?

Reverend Blair
I am aware of that, Henry. I know the only guy in Winnipeg who owns one. He won't lend it to me though.

At least that's reputed to be the only real one in Winnipeg...you can buy kits out of the US that aren't as good and there's at least one of those in town. It has a 350 Chevy engine in it. Very fast, but virtually unsteerable. It's built on a shortened truck frame.

As far as I know the Caterhams aren't available in Canada because they don't meet the crash and/or emission standards. You can order them for the track, but can't drive them on the road. The Lotus, being thirty years old, is exempt from the rules.

Reverend Blair
Oh, forgot to mention.... If anybody wants to buy me one of these, (external - login to view) I'd appreciate it.

GL Schmitt
HA!

You should have seen me racing through a parking lot to beat the competition to an enpty space in my little red MGA.

MMMike
Your wheels, GL?? Sweet!

Reverend Blair
Ah, the MGA. Much better looking car than the B.

Did you do the restoration yourself, GL? Please don't tell me it's all original, that'd be too much to take.

GL Schmitt
I said, "You should have seen me . . ."

That was back in the late sixties.

And yes, Rev, it took a lot of body filler and green stuff to make it look cherry.

#juan
The Lotus Super Seven weighed about eleven hundred pounds so a Chevy V8 would be really overkill on power and the weight of that big V8 would destroy the handling. When it first came out, one of the engine options was a 160 horsepower Coventry Climax four cylinder engine that would get it to sixty miles an hour in slightly over 3 seconds. Marvelous car.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Seven#Engines (external - login to view)

Reverend Blair
Quote:

And yes, Rev, it took a lot of body filler and green stuff to make it look cherry.

You drink green beer?

Quote:

The Lotus Super Seven weighed about eleven hundred pounds so a Chevy V8 would be really overkill on power and the weight of that big V8 would destroy the handling.

Not to mention that truck frames tend to flex a lot because they are designed to carry weight. Flex or break. The weight of the engine apparently makes the front plough and takes away the lightness of the handling. The kit weighs far more than a Lotus Seven and it's dumped on a truck frame. I'd guess it's close to a ton. It's brute strength where finesse is required. Muscle car guys never did understand sports cars. It does go like snot in a straight line though.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by GL Schmitt

HA!

You should have seen me racing through a parking lot to beat the competition to an enpty space in my little red MGA.

SWEET!!!

Had a TR3A ..twice ( one blue, and one British Racing Green).....and they was fun..

Ocean Breeze
rev:
Quote:

Ah, the MGA. Much better looking car than the B.

EASY fella........ MY B's feelings get hurt real easy..

Reverend Blair
Some men in a truck came and towed my B away. I still have the motor and transmission in the corner of my garage, but the car is gone.

Ocean Breeze
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Some men in a truck came and towed my B away. I still have the motor and transmission in the corner of my garage, but the car is gone.

........was this per request???

GL Schmitt
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Some men in a truck came and towed my B away. . .

My B too, Rev.

And it was only 11 months old.

How do you spell L E M O N ?

Reverend Blair
Quote:

was this per request

Yeah. They even gave me money for it.

Quote:

My B too, Rev.

And it was only 11 months old.

Mine was thirty years old. It had been through the big flood here. I bought it to restore it, but it was in worse shape than I thought and beyond my ability/facilities to restore.

I should've bought the T-bucket hot rod instead. All it needed was a motor and fenders. I hesitated though, and it was gone.

#juan
My neighbor built/assembled a Super Seven back in the sixties. The kit was really complete, right down to the can of brake fluid. My neighbor got one of the middle engines, I think it was a Renault four cylinder with about a hundred and ten horse power. When you think about it, a hundred ten horsepower in an eleven hundred pound car give a power to weight ratio of about ten lbs per horse power. That is close to the newest Corvette or Viper. With the 160 horse engine, it would blow the doors of both.