Wanna-be Canadian

Reverend Blair
Lonnie:

There are a lot of things to see in Canada, and the culture varies from place to place. I'll be you you've been mostly to Ontario, maybe Quebec.

Hank listed a bunch of cities he's been too. I'll bet he stayed in hotels and never learned much about the city he was in.

You should travel around the country. Visit the small towns and spend some time in the various ethnic communities in the cities. Listen to CBC radio, including the local shows. Go to the various festivals that are held in towns and cities.

Nobody can really describe the culture in Canada because it is so diverse. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist though. Quite the opposite. The diversity leads to a mixing of ideas that makes the culture very vibrant.

manda
Hi Lonnie,

Sorry for the little cat fight above, we're kind of a disfunctional family-type board.

I have lived here all my life, and beside taxation, and Government behaving badly at times, I love this country with all my pight. i may not be that representative of the culture, because I live in the smallest province, and some cities have a larger population ( we're only at 138,000) but I speak English, French and Spanish, and try to be respectful of all cultures, unless someone is forcing it down my throat, and disrespectful to me.

You've vacationed here, so you have an idea what we're like. I am partial to my area, because If you happen to meet someone's eyes on the street, a stranger, they'll at least smile, if not say hello. And we hold doors for people. The Old -school righteous grannies can be hard on the head, but they are generally hidden until After-church lunch.

Come on up, we don't like bush any more than you

Hank C Cheyenne
Quote:

Greenland. Enjoys a fair amount of autonomy, although there is still talk of independence. Has a large native population. Settlement by Vikings was the first Eurpean contact. The original Viking settlement died out, apparently by starvation. There is some evidence of cannibalism in the final days of that settlement.

Greenland has extensive glaciers, which are currently melting due to global warming. The glaciers have attracted a relatively large and transient scientific community which has been a boon to local economies.

The native population has a culture very similar to native populations in Canada's north.

...... ok wow I am glad you knew that info....and hopefully you diden't just google it........but the point I was trying to make was about the avg Canadian......go up to 10 people on the street and ask them about say.... Sweden .....how many will even know the population or the governement in power or ....ect.

...the point I was trying to counter was that Americans are dumb because they don't know as much about Canada as we do about them.......like I said it's simply that they are the cultural giant and all your tv and radio and news is about the US every day........ its kinds like how come you know soo much about New York or California but probably won't know much about Wyoming or other small states.

...americans hear bout toronto or montreal but don't know or hear about the other places in Canada....

no1important
Queen Margrethe II is the reigning monarch of Denmark and the Greenland and Faroe (sp) islands. I do know that much. I know they belong to EU and Copenhagen is the capital. I know their money (they do not use euro either, just as Sweden and UK do not use euro) is the Krone (not Krona like sweden) but anything else about Denmark I am clueless.

peapod

Reverend Blair
Quote:

ok wow I am glad you knew that info....and hopefully you diden't just google it

I learned it all from Canadian television, Hank.

Quote:

but the point I was trying to make was about the avg Canadian

I used to be a medium, but now I take a large. Does that make me above average?

Quote:

go up to 10 people on the street and ask them about say.... Sweden .....how many will even know the population or the governement in power or ....ect

Ask ten people in Canada and ten people in the US and you will get more, and more accurate, information from the ten Canadians.

Quote:

...the point I was trying to counter was that Americans are dumb because they don't know as much about Canada as we do about them.......like I said it's simply that they are the cultural giant and all your tv and radio and news is about the US every day

If it was all about the US, I wouldn't have known about Greenland, would I?

The truth is that American media is all about the US all of the time. Even their world news is presented from a strictly US standpoint, usually concentrating only on financial and/or security concerns as they relate to US policy and ignoring the other side of the story.

Quote:

its kinds like how come you know soo much about New York or California but probably won't know much about Wyoming or other small states.

Again...ask 10 Manitobans about North Dakota, then 10 North Dakotans about Manitoba. When they want to go to the big city, Winnipeg is it, yet we know far more about them than they do about us.

The truth is that Canada is the USA's largest trading partner, largest supplier of energy, largest supplier of raw materials, a major supplier of other products, such as auto parts, and a longstanding ally. To have all of that ignored while being expected to put up with bombast, half-truths, outright lies, and general denigration put forth both by your government and your media is unreasonable.

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

The truth is that Canada is the USA's largest trading partner, largest supplier of energy, largest supplier of raw materials, a major supplier of other products, such as auto parts, and a longstanding ally. To have all of that ignored while being expected to put up with bombast, half-truths, outright lies, and general denigration put forth both by your government and your media is unreasonable.

Yeah, THAT.