bible passages that have helped you overcome something


GL Schmitt
#61
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

. . . it is all too obvious that we are on divergent paths on our spiritual journey...

Have you considered founding a new order?
 
Vanni Fucci
#62
Quote: Originally Posted by GL Schmitt

Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

. . . it is all too obvious that we are on divergent paths on our spiritual journey...

Have you considered founding a new order?

Yeah...it would be somewhere between Menno Siemens and Jim Morrison...
 
GL Schmitt
#63
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

Yeah...it would be somewhere between Menno Siemens and Jim Morrison...

Ah! A Morrisonite!



Sounds filthy!
 
peapod
#64
People are strange when your a stranger :P
 
Mad_Hatter
#65
Faces look ugly when you're alone.
 
peapod
#66
when your strangeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
 
Reverend Blair
#67
Faces come out of the rain
 
gopher
+1
#68
~~ It is very hypocritical of some of you to needlessly mock, insult and discriminate against Christianity. ~~


check out Asia Times's forum where Islamophobia runs rampant every day
 
Mad_Hatter
#69
Gopher, if you think I'm denouncing Christian bashing while condoning other types of prejudice you have completely misunderstood me.
 
Jo Canadian
#70
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

No problem.
The church I'm referring to is a modern Mennonite Church. (I hope no one sees the word "Mennonite" and immediately assumes I'm amish here.) I suppose I'm exaggerating a little, that was a few years ago before I moved to Nova Scotia. I haven't gone to church a whole lot since I've been here, for various reasons.

I knew some Mennonites in Alberta, a quiet bunch but usually nice. They also make Kick *** Bread, and any meat bought off of their farms was 100x better than the supermarket. Although some there weren't too familiar with things beyond the farm....Example:

Quote:

-Non topic Mennonite Story-

My ex mother n law recieved a call from one of the Mennonites women outside of town saying that she needed help getting an ugly horse out of her yard. "An Ugly Horse??"

Well when she went over to help the lady what she found was a moose in the yard.

 
GL Schmitt
#71
Quote: Originally Posted by Jo Canadian

. . .

Quote:

-Non topic Mennonite Story-

My ex mother n law recieved a call from one of the Mennonites women outside of town saying that she needed help getting an ugly horse out of her yard. "An Ugly Horse??"

Well when she went over to help the lady what she found was a moose in the yard.

Well, would your mother-in-law have come over to help get a Moose out of her yard?

That Mennonite woman sounds like a dang fine motivator to me.
 
Jo Canadian
#72
Quote: Originally Posted by GL Schmitt

Well, would your mother-in-law have come over to help get a Moose out of her yard?

She didn't have to. The lady thought it was from someones farm and thought she may know who it belonged to.

Howd we get from Bible Quotes to Moose anyhow? Unless there is something written in the dogma about the Holy Alces alces .
 
GL Schmitt
#73
Quote: Originally Posted by Jo Canadian

. . . Howd we get from Bible Quotes to Moose anyhow? . . . Alces alces .

I don't know about you, but at one time, I believed in the existence of Bullwinkle, as much as I have most other fictional characters.

Does that help?
 
zenfisher
#74
Would that be a ...wait for it....


A Moosonic Order
 
TenPenny
#75
I always found Luke12:6 helpful:

" Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, and not one of them is forgotten before God?"
 
missile
#76
5 pages of blather1 This makes me wish the original poster had the guts to commit suicide
 
Mad_Hatter
#77
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_HatterI promise you Vanni, I have made my own choices regarding my belief systems.So, your family left that decision entirely up to you, without trying to influence you one way or the other?
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_HatterReligious and "Free Thinker" or "Critical Thinker" aren't always mutually exclusive. SmileThe belief in an all-knowing, all-seeing, invisible man that causes everything to happen sort of precludes that claim...
Your god and your religion cannot stand up to the least scrutiny or critical analysis...
Peppy brought up Pascal's Wager in another thread...this has been the resource most often used by Christians to justify their beliefs for hundreds of years...yet the logic that it is based upon is deeply flawed...
If you are capable of critical thought, as you have claimed, then I suggest you do some research beyond your bible and understand what the free thinkers of the world have said throughout history, and why they have said it...

Quote has been trimmed
Wow Vanni, I somehow missed this post.

I hate to say it, but I do not take kindly to insinuations that I am not capable of any form of critical thought merely because I believe in God.

You know nothing about me, nothing about my belief system (as I mentionned, it is nowhere near the lines of traditional and mainstream Christianity), nor about how much "research" I may or may not have done.

Because I want to protect myself from being painted with some stereotype allow me to introduce myself a little better...

I'm a 4th year biology student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia. Perhaps I'm being presumptuous here, but simply because I have taken so many courses and done a fair bit of research, and am applying to grad school this year I'm going to take a leap of faith here and say I probably know more about it than many people on this board. (Interestingly enough, I have a philosophy minor, so yes. I am familiar with Pascal's wager... but this is another discussion entirely.)

In answer to your question: yes, I was brought up in the church. In fact, both my parents are extremely conservative and religious. Don't think that this means I am incapable of making my own choices. I turned away from the church for many years; it was my own choice to give it a second chance. Even now, I certainly don't adopt the general Christian concensus regarding many issues: homosexuality and the origin of life are two that come to mind.

I don't look like your typical christian either. I have a tattoo (and no, it's not of a cross or bible ) and several piercings. While I risk some serious backlash here I'm going to go out on a limb and say that alot of the major problems plaguing society could be solved by the use of hallucinogenic drugs; but again. That is another topic for another day.

Well, now that I've revealed myself for the freak that I truly am; and probably made you all wonder what type of stick I have up my *** I'll shut up with this one final request. Please, please, please don't confuse all christians with a few fundamentalists which are giving us bad names?
 
GL Schmitt
#78
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

. . . Please, please, please don't confuse all christians with a few fundamentalists which are giving us bad names?

I would agree with that.

Al-Qaeda is a fanatical organization that has high-jacked Islam, and the Religious Right is a fanatical organization which has high-jacked Christianity.

Neither are actually religious groups, but they have both captured the cynosure of public debate, and to a degree more or less do influence believers in either faith.
 
gopher
#79
This makes me wish the original poster had the guts to commit suicide


LOL!
 
Vanni Fucci
#80
Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Wow Vanni, I somehow missed this post.

Yeah...somehow I missed this one too...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I hate to say it, but I do not take kindly to insinuations that I am not capable of any form of critical thought merely because I believe in God.

I don't blame you...I wouldn't appreciate it either...but then I don't go making claims that can't be substantiated...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

You know nothing about me, nothing about my belief system (as I mentionned, it is nowhere near the lines of traditional and mainstream Christianity), nor about how much "research" I may or may not have done.

Not enough research, I'd wager...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Because I want to protect myself from being painted with some stereotype allow me to introduce myself a little better...

I'm a 4th year biology student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia. Perhaps I'm being presumptuous here, but simply because I have taken so many courses and done a fair bit of research, and am applying to grad school this year I'm going to take a leap of faith here and say I probably know more about it than many people on this board. (Interestingly enough, I have a philosophy minor, so yes. I am familiar with Pascal's wager... but this is another discussion entirely.)

A biology student that doesn't understand the scientific model for deriving proofs? Say it isn't so...

I suspect that you're one of those that have adopted Neo-Darwinian Evolutionary Theory as a tool used by God though...

Funny how when Christians are proven wrong about something, they weigh in with the other side and adapt to fit the offending science within the framework of their religion...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

In answer to your question: yes, I was brought up in the church. In fact, both my parents are extremely conservative and religious. Don't think that this means I am incapable of making my own choices. I turned away from the church for many years; it was my own choice to give it a second chance. Even now, I certainly don't adopt the general Christian concensus regarding many issues: homosexuality and the origin of life are two that come to mind.

Of course you know that millions of your brethren believe you will be subject to the flames that burn but do not consume for your beliefs...luckily, I don't believe that...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

I don't look like your typical christian either. I have a tattoo (and no, it's not of a cross or bible ) and several piercings. While I risk some serious backlash here I'm going to go out on a limb and say that alot of the major problems plaguing society could be solved by the use of hallucinogenic drugs; but again. That is another topic for another day.

Cool...but your thinking is still flawed...

Quote: Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Well, now that I've revealed myself for the freak that I truly am; and probably made you all wonder what type of stick I have up my *** I'll shut up with this one final request. Please, please, please don't confuse all christians with a few fundamentalists which are giving us bad names?

Freaks are good...even religious ones...

Freaks are conducive to fresh ideas...and most religions are sorely in need of a few of those...
 
pastafarian
#81
Bible passages that helped me out? Not really, though I think Ecclesiastes is one of the most jaded and world-weary (in a good way) riffs in all literature. I re-read it often.

I think the most revealing verse in the Bible, and perhaps the most enlightening is:
"Jesus wept."
 
jimmoyer
#82
Mad_hatter, you're okay. You have an earnest spirit that deserves a little courtesy. I think neither the Christian Right nor the Intellectually superior liberal left should demean each other. I don't find it wise of either group. I don't find it even intelligent of either group to freak out about each other all of the time.
 
gopher
+1
#83
How about this one:

God is the creator of all evil

Isaiah 45:7
 
Vanni Fucci
#84
Jeremiah 5:31 The prophets prophesy falsely and the priests bear rule by their means; and my people love to have it so: and what will ye do in the end there-of?

Jeremiah 6:13 For from the least of them even unto the greatest of them every one is given to covetousness; and from the prophet even unto the priest every one dealeth falsely.
 
manda
#85
Quote: Originally Posted by gopher

How about this one:

God is the creator of all evil

Isaiah 45:7

he he ehheheheh
 
jimmoyer
#86
And in the coming dusk as the sun sets on men's souls there will be wraiths thoughts flying like tiny bats all around the world and there will be great witness to this and no good will come of it.

Jeremiah 13:13
 
corsetguy
#87
How about

"A child who hits or curses his parents must be executed."

Exodus 21:15, 17


Or

"After a woman gives birth, a priest must kill a lamb, pigeon, or dove as a sin offering. This is because having children is sinful and God likes it when things are killed for him."

Leviticus 12:6-8
 
no1important
#88
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.
 
Vanni Fucci
#89
Quote: Originally Posted by jimmoyer

And in the coming dusk as the sun sets on men's souls there will be wraiths thoughts flying like tiny bats all around the world and there will be great witness to this and no good will come of it.

Jeremiah 13:13


Hmmm...wraiths you say...

Well then why not unicorns too?

Job 39:9-11 Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee? Wilt thou trust him, because his strength is great? or wilt thou leave thy labour to him?

I guess the Irish Rovers had it right all along...
 
no1important
#90
Do the Wraiths look like the ones from Stargate Atlantis?
 

Similar Threads

4
Conservative party hasn't helped Farmers
by Jersay | Apr 23rd, 2006
no new posts