bible passages that have helped you overcome something

proud christian

Sep 26, 2005
I'm just curious... what bible verses or passages have helped you in times of struggle? For me when I when through self hatred/destruction Psalm 139 and Psalm 31 really helped me. Psalm 139 talks about how God created you perfectly. We aren't perfect so what I mean is he created you just the way he wanted you to be and how as a Christian you are perfect in his sight.

Psalm 31 was a breaking point for me. Once I realized that my self hatred was an act of satan, it kept me from suicide and it brought me back to Christ.
Psalm 31:
1 In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge;
let me never be put to shame;
deliver me in your righteousness.
2 Turn your ear to me,
come quickly to my rescue;
be my rock of refuge,
a strong fortress to save me.

3 Since you are my rock and my fortress,
for the sake of your name lead and guide me.

4 Free me from the trap that is set for me,
for you are my refuge.

5 Into your hands I commit my spirit;
redeem me, O LORD, the God of truth.

6 I hate those who cling to worthless idols;
I trust in the LORD.

7 I will be glad and rejoice in your love,
for you saw my affliction
and knew the anguish of my soul.

8 You have not handed me over to the enemy
but have set my feet in a spacious place.

9 Be merciful to me, O LORD, for I am in distress;
my eyes grow weak with sorrow,
my soul and my body with grief.

10 My life is consumed by anguish
and my years by groaning;
my strength fails because of my affliction,
and my bones grow weak.

11 Because of all my enemies,
I am the utter contempt of my neighbors;
I am a dread to my friends—
those who see me on the street flee from me.

12 I am forgotten by them as though I were dead;
I have become like broken pottery.

13 For I hear the slander of many;
there is terror on every side;
they conspire against me
and plot to take my life.

14 But I trust in you, O LORD;
I say, "You are my God."

15 My times are in your hands;
deliver me from my enemies
and from those who pursue me.

16 Let your face shine on your servant;
save me in your unfailing love.

17 Let me not be put to shame, O LORD,
for I have cried out to you;
but let the wicked be put to shame
and lie silent in the grave.

18 Let their lying lips be silenced,
for with pride and contempt
they speak arrogantly against the righteous.

19 How great is your goodness,
which you have stored up for those who fear you,
which you bestow in the sight of men
on those who take refuge in you.

20 In the shelter of your presence you hide them
from the intrigues of men;
in your dwelling you keep them safe
from accusing tongues.

21 Praise be to the LORD,
for he showed his wonderful love to me
when I was in a besieged city.

22 In my alarm I said,
"I am cut off from your sight!"
Yet you heard my cry for mercy
when I called to you for help.

23 Love the LORD, all his saints!
The LORD preserves the faithful,
but the proud he pays back in full.

24 Be strong and take heart,
all you who hope in the LORD.

That passage really helped me a lot. Verse 8 and 24 really convicted me a lot during my time of struggle.

I'm just curious to see what scriptures have helped other people!

Speak soon X

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
If your such a proud christian Why are you hiding where are you from and no I'm not looking for your adress .If gods on your side then why must you hide :?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: bible passages that h

I always liked the part about having a little wine. All the begetting would likely be okay too, but there's not enough detail.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
proud christian said:
Psalm 139 talks about how God created you perfectly. We aren't perfect so what I mean is he created you just the way he wanted you to be and how as a Christian you are perfect in his sight.

Answer - what kind of twisted hypocrite is this God of yours. You are saying "as a Christian you are perfect in his sight" but didn't this God also create Jews, Hindus, Musselmen, Taoists, Shintu and the Cargo People of Micronesia? Are all these People less than perfect? If so, wasn't that God's doing, making various levels of mankind? That's pretty sick, don't you realize? You say "He created you just the way he wanted you to be". Well then He created homosexual Christians. What a twist that is because according to another thread you created, you call homosexuality a sin. So you are putting down God's creations.

If you are going to create opponent threads and prostletize on these threads, you should remember that those who would teach in the name of Jesus are going to be judged harshest.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
RE: bible passages that h

The best and most helpful passage of the bible for me was the passage of that cursed little book into the bin. (there was no recycling back then)

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005
Re: RE: bible passages that h

neocon-hunter said:
Well many passages helped me at one time. I was out camping and had no toilet paper.......................

damn you ....nc-hunter..... I was eating something and nearly choked as I laughed out loud... :wink: :)

seeing as how you are a newbie......WELCOME ABOARD.....

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Imagine

Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one.

John Lennon

I find more hope inthat short lyric than anything I've read in the bible

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
No no no no no not that fecking song arggggg feck I can't stand it ahhhhhh now the feckers going to be stuck in my head playing over and over Feck :lol:

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Whenever I am convinced that everyone in my family is crazy, this little passage helps me remember that things could be worse:

Now Lot went up out of Zo'ar, and dwelt in the hills with his two daughters, for he was afraid to dwell in Zo'ar; so he dwelt in a cave with his two daughters.

31 And the first-born said to the younger, "Our father is old, and there is not a man on earth to come in to us after the manner of all the earth.

32 Come, let us make our father drink wine, and we will lie with him, that we may preserve offspring through our father."

33 So they made their father drink wine that night; and the first-born went in, and lay with her father; he did not know when she lay down or when she arose.

34 And on the next day, the first-born said to the younger, "Behold, I lay last night with my father; let us make him drink wine tonight also; then you go in and lie with him, that we may preserve offspring through our father."

35 So they made their father drink wine that night also; and the younger arose, and lay with him; and he did not know when she lay down or when she arose. 36 Thus both the daughters of Lot were with child by their father.

:oops:

Mad_Hatter

Nominee Member
Oct 14, 2005
Shakedown Street
www.myspace.com
Wow kids,

Since I have joined this quaint little forum not even a week ago I have been quite impressed with the high quality of discussions and debates which I have seen. This thread, however has totally disillusioned me.

It is very hypocritical of some of you to needlessly mock, insult and discriminate against Christianity.

Imagine the torrent of backlash if someone were to say something as insulting as:
Well many passages helped me at one time. I was out camping and had no toilet paper.......................
about the Koran?

Comments like
The best and most helpful passage of the bible for me was the passage of that cursed little book into the bin. (there was no recycling back then)
would not be tolerated about any other religion so why is it deemed acceptable to belittle Christians in this way?

Blatent hatred and disrimination of Christianity by the athiest is just as disgusting as blatent hatred and discrimination against homosexuality by Christians.

Hatred and discrimination of any kind is wrong. Get off your high horses and be a little more respectful.

Canucklehead

Apr 6, 2005
Re: RE: bible passages that have helped you overcome somethi

Mad_Hatter said:
Wow kids,

Since I have joined this quaint little forum not even a week ago I have been quite impressed with the high quality of discussions and debates which I have seen. This thread, however has totally disillusioned me.

It is very hypocritical of some of you to needlessly mock, insult and discriminate against Christianity.

Imagine the torrent of backlash if someone were to say something as insulting as:
about the Koran?

Comments like
would not be tolerated about any other religion so why is it deemed acceptable to belittle Christians in this way?

Blatent hatred and disrimination of Christianity by the athiest is just as disgusting as blatent hatred and discrimination against homosexuality by Christians.

Hatred and discrimination of any kind is wrong. Get off your high horses and be a little more respectful.

Welp, since you decided to quote me I feel obliged to respond.
Please do us both a favour and check any of my postings regarding religion. It's not that I have some innate hatred for christianity, the issue is organised religions period. Had the topic been Islam and the Quran, well...the response would have been the same if I was forced to attend and been initiated into their cult against my will as was the case with christianity. I hold nothing against those who believe in god as they see fit so long as they keep it in the privacy of their own home/head, where it belongs. Bring it into public domain and it's fair game.

Welcome to the board btw :)

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
Mad_Hatter,

If you search out Proud_Christian’s past posts you might come to believe that this could be the method the forum’s posters have hit upon to encouraging P_C to “shake the dust from his sandals” and walk on.

Few here take faith-based political/social instruction, well.

In keeping with that intent:

The Lord Giveth, the Feds Taketh Away

When William H. Irvin III received a government check for $836,939.19 in June, 1992, he considered it a gift from God since he had recently prayed for self-sufficiency. A federal court jury in Kansas City, Mo., was unmoved: it was a computer error, they said, not God, which boosted his $183.69 check to the higher amount. Convicted of knowingly spending government money, filing a false tax return and money laundering, he faces 43 years in prison and a $1.25 million fine. (AP)

...Then his prayers have been answered: he won’t have to buy food or shelter for 40 years.

Welcome to Canadian Content, Mad_Hatter.