God loves us

Reverend Blair
#31
Quote:

then keep it to yourself becuase it will only offend people to attack their relegion. You have the right to practice the atheist lifestyle and the right to not be attacked. No one said that you have to believe in Christianity, Hinduism or whatever........ but you have to have respect.

Like the respect we're shown when religious organisations try to have their religious beliefs enshrined in law? How about the respect shown by helping AIDS to spread because condoms aren't acceptable to some religious folks? Do you mean like the respect shown by denying scientific fact and promoting superstition ignorance in classrooms?

I have a pretty good grasp of what your religion is supposed to be about and what it's actually about, Hank. Unlike Vanni, I even believe that some sort of Jesus figure likely existed, although I don't think he was a god. I've read the words attributed to him though and I don't what teacher Christians are following, but it sure as hell isn't the guy they named their religion after.
 
Vanni Fucci
#32
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

...then keep it to yourself becuase it will only offend people...

Likewise...please!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

You have the right to practice the atheist lifestyle and the right to not be attacked. No one said that you have to believe in Christianity, Hinduism or whatever........ but you have to have respect.

Practicing the athiest lifestyle? I wonder what that means to you...

What it means to me is that I am able to think outside the book...that I've done extensive research into the phenomenon of religion, from both a sociological and theological tack, and I've found it to be entirely lacking any sort of reason...in fact it is very similar to crack addiction...and about as intellectually stimulating as well...

Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

big·ot·ry (bĭg'ə-trē)
n.
The attitude, state of mind, or behavior characteristic of a bigot; intolerance.

big·ot (bĭg'ət)
n.
One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

...........a bigot is not only an individual who attacks specific religions, although this is the most common example and understanding. It also applies to people who are intolerant of others Beliefs whether they believe in god or whatever......

Truth is Hank, you're way the feck off...

I absolutely support religious tolerance...it's the religions that can't tolerate one another...and so I say, in the interest of humanity, the only way to achieve religious tolerance is to have a moratorium on all religions...then we can have peace...because you feckin' well know it ain't going to happen with the different religious leaders calling the shots...

So, as to the question of whether I am or am not a bigot, perhaps I am...but only towards people that can't think for themselves...and are ruining the world because of it...
 
zenfisher
#33
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

What, exactly, are you protesting? I've always wondered that about Protestants, having been raised a papist before finding atheism.


Isn't obvious Rev...protest ..ants. They must have something against ants :P Maybe its that communal living thing...
 
Cosmo
#34
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

Many people don't actually "find god" until they are older.

Shoot, I didn't even know god was lost. Didn't see any pix on milk cartons.
 
Cosmo
#35
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

but the thing is when someones relegion is attacked or relegion as a whole is attacked then it takes it to another level.

There's a difference between debating religion as a concept as opposed to denigrating particular religions. Unfortunately, Hank, you may want to skip my posts since I do have comments on specfic religions that may offend your delicate sensibilities.
 
Dexter Sinister
#36
Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

..... but you have to have respect.

No you don't. Just because it's a religion it deserves respect? Not a chance. Religion has to take its lumps in the marketplace of ideas same as everything else.
 
Ocean Breeze
#37
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

Quote: Originally Posted by Hank C Cheyenne

..... but you have to have respect.

No you don't. Just because it's a religion it deserves respect? Not a chance. Religion has to take its lumps in the marketplace of ideas same as everything else.


agree absolutely. Well stated Dex.

like any ideology, idea, concept........it warrants critique and examination under a microscope. ......and should be tested for validity. It is mankind's duty and responsibility to question & yes even condemn beliefs... and not take things at face value. If mankind did not explore and question ........"we" would still be "believing" the world was flat.-----and other outmoded ideation.


about "finding" 'God"........ Cosmo said it right. Didn't know "god" was lost. ........
 
missile
#38
Shouldn't somebody file a missing person{God} report with the authorities? This would make one Hell of a ColdCase File
 
Ocean Breeze
#39
Quote: Originally Posted by missile

Shouldn't somebody file a missing person{God} report with the authorities? This would make one Hell of a ColdCase File


Good one missile !!
 
missile
#40
Blushing
 
proud christian
#41
Blessings on you Hank C Cheyenne glad to make your aquaintance brother.
 
Cosmo
#42
I, for one, Proud Christian, am glad you are here. It takes guts to walk into a forum where you are likely to meet resistance and state your beliefs. I do respect that.

I also find it entertaining. Religion is a topic that brings out that slightly cutting sense of humour and cleverness I particularly enjoy here at this forum. If you're tough enough to take it and keep posting, hats off to you. I'll keep enjoyng.
 
neocon-hunter
#43
If god exists he only created us to worship him while we are on earth and for eternity in heaven, if we do not we go to "hell". Pretty selfish of him if you ask me but there is not one shred of proof of any god from allah to zeus that ever existed.
 
Vanni Fucci
#44
Quote: Originally Posted by neocon-hunter

Pretty selfish of him if you ask me but there is not one shred of proof of any god from allah to zeus that ever existed.

Well sure there's proof...I'm pretty sure it's written in a book somewhere, so it must be true...
 
Andem
#45
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

Quote: Originally Posted by neocon-hunter

Pretty selfish of him if you ask me but there is not one shred of proof of any god from allah to zeus that ever existed.

Well sure there's proof...I'm pretty sure it's written in a book somewhere, so it must be true...

That's gotta be right! Just look at Mein Kampf, it's all gotta be true.
</sarcasm>
 
Ocean Breeze
#46
Quote: Originally Posted by neocon-hunter

If god exists he only created us to worship him while we are on earth and for eternity in heaven, if we do not we go to "hell". Pretty selfish of him if you ask me but there is not one shred of proof of any god from allah to zeus that ever existed.

there is no shred of proof of a place, entity called "hell" or "heaven" or whatever locale . But these entities are sure drilled into the vulnerable. suggestable...... as a fear tactic.....to control the masses. How do people think that religion/god factor has so much power over the pliable, (actually WEAK) ie "membership"?? So many take this stuff literally......


"hell" is what we create for ourselves with destructive actions....(consequences). "heaven" is most likely those special days when things really go well, and one is living constructively. (that inner feel good state.........sans drugs
 
neocon-hunter
#47
I believe religion is a way to keep the masses under control.

"god" does not love us:

Exodus 20:5, God says: "...I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."

Good thing he aint real, eh?
 
neocon-hunter
#48
If god exists (which he does not) he should be charged for sexual abuse. After all doesn't isn't he/she/it suppose to know everything and the past,present and future?

How many kids were "touched" in the name of god? If he existed (he does not exist) shouldn't he of stopped it?

Also if he exists why are his miricles nothing more than a "face" on a leaf and not something grand, like stopping 9/11, Katrina, holocost?
 
Shiva
#49
Does anyone else find it coincidental that dog spelled backwards is God? Hmmm...

*heads off for deep contemplation*
 
Ocean Breeze
#50
Quote:

why are his miracles nothing more than a "face" on a leaf


those ain't "miracles either..... just peoples interpretation of images ........like any Rorschach (sp?) test. No two people have ever seen any of these images the same way anyhow. -----anymore than two people will interpret the same image the same way.....in a Rorschach test. Most simply WANT to see what they THINK they see.....the mind is a very powerful mechanism and can deceive.
 
Ocean Breeze
#51
Quote: Originally Posted by neocon-hunter

I believe religion is a way to keep the masses under control.

"god" does not love us:

Exodus 20:5, God says: "...I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."

Good thing he aint real, eh?


sounds like a rather nasty chap..... ....and a fear monger to boot.

No wonder the followers live in such fear .....
 
Laika
#52
A quick note, as an aside:

Buddhists do not believe in a god. Well, some do; but that is their own personal belief and not a central focus of the religion.

Buddha is not God. Buddha was a teacher, who devoted his life to helping others reach enlightenment. Every living person has the potential to achieve the ultimate state of enlightenment, i.e. Budda-hood.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Oh and welcome, Proud Christian! Hope you enjoy your stay.
 
saani
#53
<SPAM SNIP>
 
#juan
#54
proud christian

I would tend to agree with Cosmo that you will need a thick skin. I would say that these forums probably will not be the fertile ground for religious discussion you appear to be looking for. I could be wrong...
 
neocon-hunter
#55
Just ask any FN how christain religion treated them back in the day, and the effects are still being felt now.

Is that a sign of your loving "god"?
 
zenfisher
#56
Proud Christian... perhaps you can answer me this...Why is the first tenet taught in the bible...if you disobey and seek knowledge, you will be punished?
 
Vanni Fucci
#57
Quote: Originally Posted by Shiva

Does anyone else find it coincidental that dog spelled backwards is God? Hmmm...

*heads off for deep contemplation*

Not only that but I find it deeply ironic that Christ spelled backwards is Tsirhc, which of course is the sound one makes when kicked in the nuts while having a mouth full of jello...
 
Vanni Fucci
#58
Quote: Originally Posted by Laika

A quick note, as an aside:

Buddhists do not believe in a god. Well, some do; but that is their own personal belief and not a central focus of the religion.

Buddha is not God. Buddha was a teacher, who devoted his life to helping others reach enlightenment. Every living person has the potential to achieve the ultimate state of enlightenment, i.e. Budda-hood.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Correct...mostly...when you say "Buddha was a teacher" you intimate that Buddha was the name of this person, which it was not...Buddha is a title of that level of attainment, so it would be me appropriate to say that "the Buddha was a teacher", and the Buddha's name was Siddhartha Guatama, the Enlightened One...
 
Vanni Fucci
#59
Quote: Originally Posted by zenfisher

Proud Christian... perhaps you can answer me this...Why is the first tenet taught in the bible...if you disobey and seek knowledge, you will be punished?

Great point Zen, and further to that, the first 4 Commandments are for self preservation of the religion and loyalty to God...

In other words, Thou Shalt Not Kill is not so important to God or man as Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me...
 
gopher
+1
#60  Top Rated Post
"proud Christian"???


Pride comes before a fall ...


The Bible says that one is not to be proud, but to be humble!
 

Similar Threads

2
Harper Loves Osama
by #juan | Aug 8th, 2007
6
what religous affiliation do you think God loves the most
by Dreadful Nonsense | Jun 10th, 2007
1
Everybody Loves Martial Law
by jjw1965 | Sep 22nd, 2005
3
Everybody loves Toronto campaign
by Andem | May 6th, 2003
no new posts