Etymology of the word 'Feck'

Vanni Fucci
I've been seeing this word bandied about a great deal on the forums lately, and was interested in the origins and etymology of this curious little word.

According to this resource (external - login to view) the etymology is as follows:

Quote:

Feck
Function: Noun
Etymology: Father Ted
First used by: Father Ted [a senile* old priest]
How: "Feck off!"

This resource states that this word is a noun, yet in usage, the syntax is arguably that of a verb.

I was hoping perhaps Hardluck Henry, or mrmom2 would have something more to add, as they are prone to using that expletive quite regularly.

*corrected misspelled word 'senial'

Hard-Luck Henry
*deleted, due to the use of inappropriate language. I apologise for any offence caused.

Hard-Luck Henry
I'm not sure of the the exact etymolgy, Van., I've seen Father Ted, though, and always knew what they meant by it, so saw it as a mildly amusing means of getting around the whole 'swearing on the internet' business: You can tell someone to "fu ck off", without seeming to be offensive, and it all seems so much less fussy than the whole "**** off" palaver. Don't you think, you feckin' smart-arsed twat?

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Hard-Luck Henry

*deleted, due to the use of inappropriate language. I apologise for any offence caused.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Hard-Luck Henry

I'm not sure of the the exact etymolgy, Van., I've seen Father Ted, though, and always knew what they meant by it, so saw it as a mildly amusing means of getting around the whole 'swearing on the internet' business: You can tell someone to "fu ck off", without seeming to be offensive, and it all seems so much less fussy than the whole "*censored* off" palaver. Don't you think, you feckin' smart-arsed twat?

missile
Potty mouths! The whole lot of you should have your mouths washed out with strong soap

Reverend Blair
See, Vanni? You have to see Father Ted. "Girls! Drink! Feck!"

Vanni Fucci
I still can't get over the fact that Henry called me a "feckin' smart-arsed twat"...

Hard-Luck Henry
Consider it a compliment, Mr Fucci, sir ...

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Vanni Fucci

I still can't get over the fact that Henry called me a "feckin' smart-arsed twat"...

The word twat bothers me...just doesn't seem to fit in right with the language...1 of the 2 names I get nasty about being called...smart-arsed? yep I am, rather be smart arsed than a dumb ****

Reverend Blair
Judging by the Brits I've worked with, using twat is generally a polite alternative to a much less acceptable word, Manda.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Judging by the Brits I've worked with, using twat is generally a polite alternative to a much less acceptable word, Manda.

polite Rev...not so much. much much better to an alternative, but still bad..at least in my family (Me dads from England...me aunties are still there)

TenPenny
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

The word twat bothers me...just doesn't seem to fit in right with the language...1 of the 2 names I get nasty about being called...smart-arsed? yep I am, rather be smart arsed than a dumb ****

Smart arsed vs dumb arsed....one of my classmates at University had some interesting uses of English...one day he looked at some others, and said "You guys think I know f*ck nothing, but I tell you, I know f&ck ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Twila
Listen to an irishman swear. It comes out "feck"

Its the regular f ck but with an irish accent.

Quote:

feckin' smart-arsed twat

that sentence has the most swears of any complete sentence without doubling up. Amazing. Funny how the english use twat and the scots use C U Nest Tuesday. Who knew female genetalia could be a swear!

Reverend Blair
My favourite sentence of all time is still, "Feck you, you fecking fecker," but that's got a lot of repetition in it.

manda

My favourite sentence of all time is still, "Feck you, you fecking fecker," but that's got a lot of repetition in it.

I likes it meself sometimes a lot of repitition is needed to ensure the simpletons of the world understand what you're trying to say...this would just about do it

GL Schmitt
I’ve seen f e c k — also spelled f * c k — used as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and interjection.

The word usually arises when timorous souls quote something they observed on a p 0 r n site.

Twila
Quote:

There's something very strange about individuals who use the 'fecken feck' in a sentence. I'm not sure if it is linguistically proper. Double expletives are an interesting thing.

mrmom2

GL Schmitt
The real problem with drinking is when red corpuscles accidentally slip into your alcohal stream (external - login to view).

Dexter Sinister
There's a perfectly ordinary word in English, feckless, which means irresponsible or thoughtless. Clearly it also means without feck, analogous to worthless meaning without worth, useless meaning without use, and so forth. To have feck, therefore, would be to be responsible or thoughtful.

There should also therefore be words fecky, analogous to worthy, and feckful, analogous to useful. And perhaps a fecker, analogous to user.

I think I could twist this around enough so that "feck you, you fecking fecker" could be considered a nice compliment.

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

I think I could twist this around enough so that "feck you, you fecking fecker" could be considered a nice compliment.

he he he, as opposed to the ever popular, bad or mean compliment?..sorry, I had to play with the words on that one.

Dexter Sinister
Quote:

he he he, as opposed to the ever popular, bad or mean compliment?...

No, you fecking fecker, as opposed to a stronger compliment, a magnificent compliment, a heroic compliment...

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by Dexter Sinister

Quote:

he he he, as opposed to the ever popular, bad or mean compliment?...

No, you fecking fecker, as opposed to a stronger compliment, a magnificent compliment, a heroic compliment...

You know, I really look forward to reading your posts Dex...and statements such as that is precisely the reason why...

Reverend Blair
I think I'll have a feckin' beer in honour of Dexter

zenfisher
Feck I can't have a beer for another week ...feckin' doctor.

Vanni Fucci
Quote: Originally Posted by zenfisher

Feck I can't have a beer for another week ...feckin' doctor.

What the feck, yer feckin' doctor drink yer last feckin' beer, on ya?

Reverend Blair
Feckin' doctors have done that to me a few times as well. Feckin' bastards.

Dexter Sinister

You know, I really look forward to reading your posts Dex...and statements such as that is precisely the reason why...

You could send money if you feel really strongly about it. Thanks Vanni, I always look forward to yours too.

I think I'll have a feckin' beer in honour of Dexter

Feckin' A, sounds like a plan to me. Think I'll feckin' have a feckin' beer or two too, for feck's sake, since I'm feeling feckless...

Reverend Blair
As soon as I finish this feckin' beer I have to get out the feckin' saw and rip some feckin 2x4s.