Etymology of the word 'Feck'

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I've been seeing this word bandied about a great deal on the forums lately, and was interested in the origins and etymology of this curious little word.

According to this resource the etymology is as follows:

Feck
Function: Noun
Etymology: Father Ted
First used by: Father Ted [a senile* old priest]
How: "Feck off!"

This resource states that this word is a noun, yet in usage, the syntax is arguably that of a verb.

I was hoping perhaps Hardluck Henry, or mrmom2 would have something more to add, as they are prone to using that expletive quite regularly.

*corrected misspelled word 'senial'

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
I'm not sure of the the exact etymolgy, Van., I've seen Father Ted, though, and always knew what they meant by it, so saw it as a mildly amusing means of getting around the whole 'swearing on the internet' business: You can tell someone to "fu ck off", without seeming to be offensive, and it all seems so much less fussy than the whole "fuck off" palaver. Don't you think, you feckin' smart-arsed twat? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Hard-Luck Henry said:
I'm not sure of the the exact etymolgy, Van., I've seen Father Ted, though, and always knew what they meant by it, so saw it as a mildly amusing means of getting around the whole 'swearing on the internet' business: You can tell someone to "fu ck off", without seeming to be offensive, and it all seems so much less fussy than the whole "*censored* off" palaver. Don't you think, you feckin' smart-arsed twat? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :laughing3: :lol: :lol:

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
I still can't get over the fact that Henry called me a "feckin' smart-arsed twat"... :lol: :lol:

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Vanni Fucci said:
I still can't get over the fact that Henry called me a "feckin' smart-arsed twat"... :lol: :lol:

The word twat bothers me...just doesn't seem to fit in right with the language...1 of the 2 names I get nasty about being called...smart-arsed? yep I am, rather be smart arsed than a dumb arse :D

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Etymology of the word

Judging by the Brits I've worked with, using twat is generally a polite alternative to a much less acceptable word, Manda.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
Re: RE: Etymology of the word

Reverend Blair said:
Judging by the Brits I've worked with, using twat is generally a polite alternative to a much less acceptable word, Manda.

polite Rev...not so much. much much better to an alternative, but still bad..at least in my family (Me dads from England...me aunties are still there) :wink:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
manda said:
Vanni Fucci said:

The word twat bothers me...just doesn't seem to fit in right with the language...1 of the 2 names I get nasty about being called...smart-arsed? yep I am, rather be smart arsed than a dumb arse :D

Smart arsed vs dumb arsed....one of my classmates at University had some interesting uses of English...one day he looked at some others, and said "You guys think I know f*ck nothing, but I tell you, I know f&ck ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

Listen to an irishman swear. It comes out "feck"

Its the regular f ck but with an irish accent.

feckin' smart-arsed twat

that sentence has the most swears of any complete sentence without doubling up. Amazing. Funny how the english use twat and the scots use C U Nest Tuesday. Who knew female genetalia could be a swear!

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

My favourite sentence of all time is still, "Feck you, you fecking fecker," but that's got a lot of repetition in it.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
Re: RE: Etymology of the word

Reverend Blair said:
My favourite sentence of all time is still, "Feck you, you fecking fecker," but that's got a lot of repetition in it.

I likes it meself :wink: sometimes a lot of repitition is needed to ensure the simpletons of the world understand what you're trying to say...this would just about do it :lol:

GL Schmitt

Electoral Member
Mar 12, 2005
Ontario
I’ve seen f e c k — also spelled f * c k — used as a noun, verb, adjective, adverb, and interjection.

The word usually arises when timorous souls quote something they observed on a p 0 r n site.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003

There's something very strange about individuals who use the 'fecken feck' in a sentence. I'm not sure if it is linguistically proper. Double expletives are an interesting thing.