Landed in Berlin

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Hey guys! I finally made it over to Berlin and among being up for 30 hours and not yet feeling the effects of Jetlag, I've managed to unpack a lot of clothes, get the washroom setup the way I like it, hook up my computer to a converter and clean the kitchen.

I found out that the Deutsche Telekom people won't be able to hook up my telephone service until Friday or the weekend (they're gonna call me to confirm), hence no real Internet connection. BUT! I noticed that there are tons of unprotected wireless hotspots in my area.

The apartment is great! Unfortunately, I have to walk up 4 floors, which isn't uncommon in Europe when dealing with non-skyscraper apartments, the ones I prefer.

Just wanted to let you all know that the first thing I did was put up a Canadian flag! I'll never forget my love for Canada, as I don't know how long I will be living in Germany for. Which reminds me, my stop in Düsseldorf brought me into contact with some Canadians here and there who I chatted with, we eventually created a huddle as we all ran into each other at the same time near the gates to the Berlin flight. The Germans were staring :)

Anyhow, looks like things have worked out. I gotta go shopping, NOW!

Cosmo

House Member
Jul 10, 2004
Victoria, BC
Hey Andem ... Nice to hear you survived the non-smoking flight! ;)

Now we all want to see pix of your new city and your new nest!!

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
How wonderful for you! I think you are incredibly fortunate to have this opportunity to be in Europe at this point in time. Everything is so different over there, and different in a lot of very good ways... and to be part of such a dramatically changing Europe is so exciting.

PS Just think of those stairs as your personal Heart Smart program!

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
I don't know where I've been that I had no idea you were moving over to Germany, but all I can say is that I'm extremely jealous. My Xendrick and I definitely have it in the plans to be moving to Europe (as soon as his Irish paperwork comes through), and, of course, after the baby is born.

Have a fabulous time Andem. If I ever make it over there, I am SO looking you up!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Landed in Berlin

Reverend Blair said:
Can you still smoke in the bars there?

I would guess yes, you can smoke in the bars. You can smoke in the airport (they have tables in the middle of the airport with ashtrays). I haven't been out to the bars yet in Berlin.

no1important, I am working over here... Although someday I will become a stundent again and broaden my horizons.

Haggis: The stair thing. Yes, I will probably become a little healthier as I never walk up stairs... but use an elevator all the time instead :)

I will post some pics soon. It's cold and rainy outside today, so I'm not venturing out in this weather.

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Thanks Sam.

BTW, as German TV is so boring and the news usually centres around Europe, I have found the CBC Newsworld news streaming available from http://www.canadiancontent.net/ quite useful :) Now I just have to write to them to get a better quality stream going.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
There hasn't been a lot of news the last couple of days, Andem. The lead story for most of yesterday was the daylight savings time thing. Today it's all London, which wouldn't be bad, given what's going on there today, except they have nothing to report.

Re: RE: Landed in Berlin

Andem said:
Thanks Sam.

BTW, as German TV is so boring and the news usually centres around Europe, I have found the CBC Newsworld news streaming available from http://www.canadiancontent.net/ quite useful :) Now I just have to write to them to get a better quality stream going.

What! When I was in germany I thought the tv was amazing! they had a whole channel dedicated to cartoons! Mind you, I lived in southafrica and only had 3 channels, and half the time it wasnt in english.

Plus, how dare you blast German TV, my uncle used to produce a german TV shows (I don't think he does anymore though).

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
I dunno about German TV, but their commercials are cool. They advertise hookers on TV, everything from young tight and cute, to old fat and blech. Each to his own. 8O

moghrabi

House Member
May 25, 2004
Canada
I think not said:
I dunno about German TV, but their commercials are cool. They advertise hookers on TV, everything from young tight and cute, to old fat and blech. Each to his own. 8O

This comment should be in our discussion about women in the other room ITN!!!!!

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
moghrabi said:
I think not said:

They also advertise male hookers, straight and homosexual. So I think they are being fair on that end. :p

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
I think not said:
moghrabi said:
I think not said:

They also advertise male hookers, straight and homosexual. So I think they are being fair on that end. :p

So...when are you heading to germany ITN? 8)