GOD

If you had 1% of all knowlegde do you think that it's possible that in the other 99% god exists?

• Absolutley(christian)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I guess(ignostic)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toro

Senate Member
Blaise Pascal wrote that it is rational to believe in God. If you believe in God and God exists, you go to heaven. If you believe in God and there is no God, there is no loss. If you don't believe in God and there is no God, there is no loss. If you didn't believe in God, and God exists, then you go to hell. Thus, there is no downside in believing in God and no upside in being an atheist. I believe this is known as Pascal's Dilemna.

Bubble

Nominee Member
Jun 22, 2005
i beleive there's a hell what else would there be for satin to live or should I say suffer.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
If you believe in a god, you are giving an unseen entity credit for your successes and creating a defacto excuse for your failures. If you don't believe in god, you must take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your fellow men cannot be easily explained away without considering cause and effect.

I believe that is known as that hard truth.

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Love it Rev. I take the credit when good stuff happens, it's all me. Although having someone to blame when it goes wrong is good too.

Toro

Senate Member
Re: RE: GOD

Reverend Blair said:
If you believe in a god, you are giving an unseen entity credit for your successes and creating a defacto excuse for your failures. If you don't believe in god, you must take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your fellow men cannot be easily explained away without considering cause and effect.

Well, that's why God takes sides in football games.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Toro said:
Blaise Pascal wrote that it is rational to believe in God. If you believe in God and God exists, you go to heaven. If you believe in God and there is no God, there is no loss. If you don't believe in God and there is no God, there is no loss. If you didn't believe in God, and God exists, then you go to hell. Thus, there is no downside in believing in God and no upside in being an atheist. I believe this is known as Pascal's Dilemna.

Here's Vanni's Dilemma:

A preponderance of evidence suggests that gods and religions are man-made constructs, and no evidence suggests that it is otherwise...so why would I blindly follow those that would seek to deceive me?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire

no1important said:
There is no proof of "God" or any of the other 100's if not thousands of "gods" exist. Why dont they make an appearance?

Well Jesus tried that once and you see the results of that don't ya.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
I more or less wonder about those that tote that "they serve the will of god", but unless gawd is whispering into their ear telling them what it likes, then it's up to the person to assume what the will of ghod actually is...I think that's where problems arise.

I guess that's where the bible or other such holy texts come in. Some guy in the past who claims the holy spirit spoke to him and he wrote it down. That's a good start but what was he doing fasting in the wilderness for 7 days before hallucinating? :lol: Maybe I should try that the next time I'm out on the land, I'm just afraid what the Androgenous Being upstairs will think about our current events.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

Toro said:
Vanni Fucci said:
Here's Vanni's Dilemma:

A preponderance of evidence suggests that gods and religions are man-made constructs, and no evidence suggests that it is otherwise...so why would I blindly follow those that would seek to deceive me?

Deceive you? In what manner?

In the claims that their way will save my eternal soul...

Sorry, but I don't think I come equipped with one of those...

In the claims that their scriptures are the infallible word of God...

If that be so then given all of the inconsistencies and falsehoods, then God must surely be a crack-head...

In the claims that theirs is the only way to God...

Then what about the other 500 religions that make the same claim?

In the claim that any religion embraces peace...

Ya-huh...talk to a history major about that one...some of the bloodiest wars ever have been fought over religion...and still are...

Ocean Breeze

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 5, 2005

Toro said:
Reverend Blair said:

Well, that's why God takes sides in football games.

good one Toro. (too funny. :lol:

Toro

Senate Member
Vanni, since your interests are "defiling Christians", I doubt we will make any headway in such an epistomological issue. However, I don't necessarily think your arguments are correct as presented as a tenent of religion. I certainly do not believe that Christianity is the only way to heaven, though some do believe that. And I don't disagree with your comment about organized religion being hypocritical regarding peace, or many other things for that matter. However, organized religion is a man-made institution. The crimes committed by organized religion does not prove God does not exist. It proves that man is fallible.