The Beer Thread

Toro

Senate Member
There have been a few threads where we were talking about one subject and wound up talking about beer - which is actually a good thing if you think about it - so we might as well have a beer discussion thread. I take up the converstation left off here

http://www.canadiancontent.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=86228#86228

Part of the reason why American mass-produced beer isn't as good as Canadian mass-produced beer is because some of the big American brewers substitute rice instead of barley for part of their recipes, which of course is blasphemy. I don't believe any of the Canadians do that.

The big brewers have developed processes to speed the aging of beer. Properly, it takes several months for beer to age but the mass-producing brewers do it quicker. Also, I was once told that the mass-produced brewers inject carbination into the beer during this process, but I don't know if that's true or not.

Because of all this, I don't put much stock in the whole national beer thing. I like Blue better than a Bud, but I also like a Teen burger better than a Big Mac. However, I'd rather eat a Filet Mignon than either hamburger. Of course, one's preference for a Blue over a Shaftsbury Cream Ale is always a personal one and completely subjective.

I like Sleeman's Said1, but I'm always a little leery about beer in a clear bottle, even if its a super cool bottle like Sleeman's. There's a brewery south of Toronto called Creemore Springs which I think makes a fantastic product if you haven't tried it yet. When they first opened over a decade ago, I went out to the brewery in Creemore. It was on a street corner in either a big old house or small store property. Cool.

BTW the beer here sucks in Florida. I once called the Big Rock brewery to see if I could get it shipped down here, but it would have cost me something like $60 for a case.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
RateBeer Top 100

The top ten is as follows:

1. AleSmith Brewing Company San Diego California U.S.
2. Three Floyds Brewing Company Munster Indiana U.S.
3. Stone Brewing Co. San Marcos California U.S.
4. Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus Westvleteren Belgium
5. Hair of the Dog Brewing Company, Inc. Portland Oregon U.S.
6. De Dolle Brouwers Diksmuide Belgium
7. Kalamazoo Brewing Company Kalamazoo Michigan U.S.
8. Pizza Port (Solana Beach) Solana Beach California U.S.
9. Dogfish Head Brewery Milton Delaware U.S.
10. Fuller, Smith & Turner London England

BEST BEERS IN THE WORLD NAMED BY WORLDWIDE BEER ENTHUSIASTS

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think not said:
RateBeer Top 50

The top ten is as follows:

1. AleSmith Brewing Company San Diego California U.S.
2. Three Floyds Brewing Company Munster Indiana U.S.
3. Stone Brewing Co. San Marcos California U.S.
4. Westvleteren Abdij St. Sixtus Westvleteren Belgium
5. Hair of the Dog Brewing Company, Inc. Portland Oregon U.S.
6. De Dolle Brouwers Diksmuide Belgium
7. Kalamazoo Brewing Company Kalamazoo Michigan U.S.
8. Pizza Port (Solana Beach) Solana Beach California U.S.
9. Dogfish Head Brewery Milton Delaware U.S.
10. Fuller, Smith & Turner London England

I didn't see Sleemans ANYWHERE on that list. Grrrrrrrr!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
I can't say I agree with that list :eek:

What I can say, is that some of my most common brands are a little mixed and impossible to put in order, but here goes.

- Heineken
- Grolsch
- Boreal Rousse (Local Quebec Beer)
- Beck's
- Labatt Blue
- Creemore (Local Ontarian Microbrewer)
- Sleeman
- Corona

I've never really been able to stomach Budweiser or Bug light, but Coors is OKAY but eww.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Well online voting like that is not very accurate. Kinda funny how 7 of top 10 are American, especially strange since America is not known for its beer. Its tastless and weak.

So many beer surveys out there, what one do you believe?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: RE: The Beer Thread

no1important said:
Well online voting like that is not very accurate. Kinda funny how 7 of top 10 are American, especially strange since America is not known for its beer. Its tastless and weak.

So many beer surveys out there, what one do you believe?

RateBeer is widely recognized as the most accurate and *most-visited source for beer information. RateBeer is an independent world site for craft beer enthusiasts and is dedicated to serving the entire craft beer community through beer education, promotion and outreach.

RateBeer was founded in May 2000 by Bill Buchanan as a forum for beer lovers to come together and share their opinions of beer and breweries. Established and maintained by dedicated volunteers, RateBeer has become the premier resource for consumer-driven beer ratings, features on beer culture and industry events, weekly beer-related editorials, and an internationally recognized, semi-annual RateBeer Best competition. The community now has thousands of members from more than 60 countries who have rated tens of thousands of beers from around the world. Our mission is to provide independent, unbiased, consumer-driven information about beer and breweries and to enhance the image and worldwide appreciation of beer.

MENTIONING RATEBEER

RateBeer has been mentioned in hundreds of publications in all forms of media, from national newspapers in Canada and Scotland to Japanese TV to magazines and web sites.

Chicago Tribune
The Los Angeles Times
Philadelphia Daily News
San Diego Metropolitan
San Diego Union-Tribune
Maclean's
NHK Television Japan
The Daily Camera (Boulder, CO)
Long Island Press
Denver Business Journal
Editora Globo (Brazil)
Detroit Free Press
Dallas Star*Telegram
Men's Journal (100 Best Web sites 2004)
E Magazine
Ålands Tidnings-Tryckeri (Finland)
Edinburgh Evening News
The Scotsman
Sunday Herald (Scotland)
Canada Newswire
Toronto Now
The National Post (Canada)
University of Toronto Bulletin
Post-Gazette (Pittsburgh)
Democrat & Chronicle (Rochester)
95.9 The Buzz, Corey & Jay Show
CitySearch Denver
Modern Brewing Age
Birmingham Brewmasters
Beer, Wine & Spirits
John's Grocery
St. Veronus Cafe
Bon Vivant Market
Cafe Abseits, Bamberg
Gourmet Resources
Food OZ.com
GourmetSleuth
Road Food.com
RealBeer.com
ePinions.com
Bamberg Brew Guide
All About Beer (web)
Fark.com
Slashdot
BigTome.com
iCalShare.com
Belgium.com
Student.com
The Man Room
Shop Like A Man
Brew Review
Zymurgy
Pro Brewer
Homebrew Digest
HomeBrew.com
PubCrawler
Beer Festivals
Beer History.com
Cream City Suds
Texan Brew
Beer South Buzz
The Bar Towel
Kandu (DK)
Caffeinated Geek
Yeah But Is It Art?
The Aimee Mann Official Web Site
Camping World.com
Beer Labels.com
Beer Basics.com
eGullet.com
Beer Can Bob
The Beer Yard
Beer Traveller
Oh My Head
Beer Manifesto
Bov's Beer Links
Brews News 'n' Reviews
alt.beer
Bier Forum (DE)
Objectieve Bierproevers (BE)
Victory Brewing
Geary Brewing
Plzensky Prazdroj (Czech Rep)
Cedar Brewing
Alesmith Brewing
Christoffel Bier (NL)
Stone Brewing
Denison's Brewing(CA)
Avery Brewing
New Belgium Brewing
Dogfish Head Brewing
Zymurgy
and many more...

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Well, since their site is in English and the United States is probably the highest percentage of English-speaking Internet users, I have to say that's a huge bias in it's self.

How can an American rate a worldwide beer when even the imports in the US are watered down? Funny that.

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Then show a site that dispells what I posted why don't ya? And I really can care less since I don't drink beer.

Andem said:
How can an American rate a worldwide beer when even the imports in the US are watered down? Funny that.

The highest alcohol content from an American brewery is 18%. I don't think that is watered down.

Bluerocks

Jun 18, 2005
Qc, Canada
Cool thread :beer:

Any Labatts product is pretty good. I am a blue man myself. Although I have tried other Canadian beers which were very good also.

Sleemans
Moosehead
Alexander Keiths

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
I can drink American beer for six months and have only a headache to show for it.

How can anyone vote for American beer? What a joke. Even our "value" beer is better than any of theirs.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I used to drink Molson Export, but it got too expensive...like $32.00 or so for a 24.

So I started to drink Black Label...cheaper, have to drink it cold though…

I then discovered Canadian Club 12 year old Whiskey, lost my taste for beer, meaning I don't buy it much anymore. I'll still drink it though, especially when it’s free!!

Some day I will have to show you how to drink like a Canadian.

Fortunately or unfortunately I can drink almost any one under the table and still be able to walk around…

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
It's not everyday someone offers to kill me.... :p

As for the beer colour...it was hot out that day if I remember correctly....