The Beer Thread

Wetcoast40
Toro, I have bad news. Rice is commonly used in making beer in Canada including Labatts Blue. It shouldn't make much difference and having participated in 'taste tests', I can tell you that even the experts in the business have trouble telling one lager from another.
Now, Micro Brews; well that's a different story. We have dozens here on the West Coast, but for you blokes in Ontario, I enjoy Waterloo Dark, Sleeman's Honey Brown and Formosa. In Winnipeg, Two Rivers and Fort Garry Ale are great. I could go on! Enough to say we are blessed in this country; just as they are in Europe and G.B.

Toro
Well, its not surprising. I used to sell beer and we used to taste test beers and no one could tell the difference between one or the other, at least with the large commercial products.

Stick with the micro brews. To me its night and day. I love the Shaftsbury products out there.

Wetcoast40
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

Well, its not surprising. I used to sell beer and we used to taste test beers and no one could tell the difference between one or the other, at least with the large commercial products.

Stick with the micro brews. To me its night and day. I love the Shaftsbury products out there.

I can recall staying in a motel near Charlotte, N.C. and finding Harp on tap. It was imported and not a license-brewed substitute. A truly happy day!

Toro
I used to go to an Irish pub near the lake in Mississauga where we drank Harp's. Good stuff. Guinness too. Its tough to drink Guinness down here in Florida though.

Wetcoast40
Guiness is a winter beer for me. Along with Bowen Island Winter Pudding Ale. I can't put Florida and Guiness together in my imagination.

Toro
I've had Guinness once since I moved here nearly a decade ago. I love the product but its too heavy for the heat.

Wetcoast40
In the hot summer weather, I prefer a dry "hoppy" beer to quench my thirst. It causes you to drink it more slowly and enjoy it more. I'm no fan of 'light beers'. I consider Coors Light the beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. At least, that the Coors Light made in Canada.

Toro
Haha, no comment.

I prefer the full-bodied, dark ales, but you're right, you need something lighter-bodied in the summer. There are no micro-brews worth speaking of anywhere near here so we have to rely on Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, etc.

mrmom2
As long as its cold I'll drink it and lots of it too

Bluerocks
There is a small brewery here in Quebec called Unibroue.

They have different types of beer:

www.unibroue.com/english.cfm (external - login to view)

Wetcoast40
Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada will do just fine, thank you!

Toro
Westcoast, have you ever heard of a brewery, I think its in Oregon, called Blue Heron? I bought some in Washington when I used to live in Vancouver but I've never seen it since.

Wetcoast40
Absolutely! Blue Heron is just one of many great brews in Oregon. That State is full of microbreweries. Try Black Butte for a great dark ale. Check out www.rogue.com (external - login to view) for a lot more info.

Toro
Wish I could get that stuff that here.

zenfisher
Dead Guy Ale here... another fine brew from Rogue Breweries. Toro if you might have better luck finding this in your local public house...Mississippi Mud its a smoothe black & tan...mmmm yummmy. Wetcoast you'll have to run for the border to try some. Its readily available in Washington.

snoproblem
Quote: Originally Posted by Wetcoast40

I consider Coors Light the beer for people who don't like the taste of beer. At least, that the Coors Light made in Canada.

I have never understood the popularity of Coor's Light in recent years. It tastes like ***... watery ***, at that.

I like a dark brew in the cold months, they're good and toasty.

GreenGreta
Watery ***. haha

Toro
Quote: Originally Posted by zenfisher

Dead Guy Ale here... another fine brew from Rogue Breweries. Toro if you might have better luck finding this in your local public house...Mississippi Mud its a smoothe black & tan...mmmm yummmy. Wetcoast you'll have to run for the border to try some. Its readily available in Washington.

Is Rogue Breweries a Seattle outfit?

zenfisher
No they are out of Oregon. They make some fine brews. There is a company out of Rosalyn, WA that makes a good ale. ...but I can't quite remember the name of it....Hah...if that's not a selling point....

Reverend Blair
Quote:

I have never understood the popularity of Coor's Light in recent years. It tastes like ***... watery ***, at that.

They have the best ads on TV. The success of Coors Light is proof that the advertising industry can sell us anything it wants to.

Toro
I always liked the Bud Light ads.

Andem
Time to restart this thread...

Now this beer is pretty good:

Tis what I'm drinking right now [/img]

manda
Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

I thought you had said that it wasn't that great, but it was indeed cheap....I like a variety myself, If I just want one or 2, moose light goes down nice....but I love MGD and Corona

#juan
When I was in Germany, this was my favorite. I wonder if they still have the big Lowenbrau lion at the Octoberfest.

Hard-Luck Henry
I this the fella, #juan? They're a conservative lot in Munich, I don't know when you were last there, but it's probably just as you remember it. (Mind you, nothing wrong with being conservative with regard to beermaking).

[img][/img]

Andem
Quote: Originally Posted by manda

Quote: Originally Posted by Andem

I thought you had said that it wasn't that great, but it was indeed cheap....I like a variety myself, If I just want one or 2, moose light goes down nice....but I love MGD and Corona

I did say it wasn't great, indeed. But that was when I had it on tap at the local pub. Yuck. But the bottles are actually pretty good

#juan
Nice going Hard Luck,

I remember that lion rubbing his belly and saying "L o w e n b r a u" in a deep voice. I have fond memories of the Octoberfest; dancing, and drinking, and eating myself into a stupor every night for two weeks. Did I say "fond"?

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by #juan

Nice going Hard Luck,

I remember that lion rubbing his belly and saying "L o w e n b r a u" in a deep voice. I have fond memories of the Octoberfest; dancing, and drinking, and eating myself into a stupor every night for two weeks. Did I say "fond"?

did you say "memories"?

#juan
Quote:

Hard Luck wrote:"did you say "memories?"

Sure, I remember all those breakfasts....

In those days you could keep the beer steins. I had about a dozen strung on a tie. The next morning all I had left was four or five handles. It's a wonder they didn't lock us up.

Nascar_James
Today was the start of Oktoberfest in Munich Germany. It will last till October 3rd. Without a doubt, the biggest beer festival in the world.