Update

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Cosmo

You know anyone here who is dead centre, ITN? I have yet to meet them.

Maybe you're not looking hard enough Cosmo, which rather surprises me since I consider you to be a rather good moderator

Pea's comment has nothing to do with the Bush doctrine ... it's just a fact. There are a zillion forums out there. If this one annoys you, find one that doesn't. It's simple. Took me a while to find the forums that work for me.

No, I beg to differ with you here with the exception of there being a zillion forums out there. An administrator of any board does not want members leaving for the very simple reason that eventually everyone would. I think part of the "job function" of a moderator is to have a moderate tone. Would you be so inclined to say take it or leave it if the board had considerably less members? Maybe, maybe not.

There will be some impositions here, as there are anywhere. I'm a closet anarchist, but until that belief system becomes popular, I live peacefully under the current system. For this place to work, we all have to follow certain policies, like it or not.

I do like it when you have to follow certain policies, I don't believe I have ever said otherwise.

What would you have us do? Outright ban anyone who doesn't play nice? Never ban anyone and let this place degenerate into nothingness as many forums have? What do you suggest?

Just be as moderate and as fair as a moderator can be, that's all I suggest.

peapod
Read haggis's post! and yes think we do try to be as fair as we can be considering we are left...just ask toro the snowblower...and ehm...thats a peapod term of endearment...don't even try to tell me I gots to be like everybody else, coz I won't...I will never go hungry again! oops can't use that one. :P

thelib
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

Read haggis's post! and yes think we do try to be as fair as we can be considering we are left...just ask toro the snowblower...and ehm...thats a peapod term of endearment...don't even try to tell me I gots to be like everybody else, coz I won't...I will never go hungry again! oops can't use that one. :P

edited and posted in moderator forum..trying to incite a argument

peapod
remarks made to bash the moderators in your post have been deleted and posted in the moderator forum. If you are going to continue to troll and bash than I am giving you this last warning, and than I am banning you.

thelib
Well I hope another mod will read it and repost cause there was nothing in it that was bashing, it's called criticism

peapod
Well the administor is here...let him decide, I abide by his decisions.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by I think not

Just be as moderate and as fair as a moderator can be, that's all I suggest.

I do try, ITN. When you feel I am being unfair, let me know. I'm approachable. In fact, I appreciate the input. Hard as it is to believe .... yes, I am imperfect.

The biggest problem we are facing right now is that some of the fighting has got out of hand. It's tough to get it stopped. We're dealing with adults here, not kids you can send to the corner. Plus, since this has been going on a while, both sides of each argument does have merit. As a mod, I try to start somewhere and work outward from there. Sometimes I make mistakes. When I do, I appreciate being approached about it. Sometimes I have good reason for what I do but since not everyone knows the full picture, I still appreciate being given an opportunity to explain why I've done things a certain way.

I don't have a "take it or leave it" feeling about forum members. There's always a sense of loss when someone who has been a big part of the forum no longer comes around. I've spoken with other mods and we do share one common feeling, though ... if someone is truly unhappy here, there IS a whole world out there. Rather than pick fights, complain and be generally difficult to moderate, sometimes it is better to move on.

What I do appreciate, ITN, is dialogue about these issues. I have respect for people who will take the time to address me directly. The coyote approach is highly distasteful to me and I value your candor.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by thelib

Well I hope another mod will read it and repost cause there was nothing in it that was bashing, it's called criticism

thelib ... I read your comments and agree with Pea. You seem to want to criticize and insult without offering any constructive solutions.

Here we are not just moderators, but active forum members as well. That does not mean we ban people for disagreeing with our posts. Andem is careful to choose mods who are fair minded and know the difference between personalities and policies. We all attempt to live up to that expectation and yes, use that power to settle disputes that have degenerated into personal attacks.

You are new here ... take a little time to scope things out before you judge too harshly. Pea has warned you about inciting fights. The rest of us mods agree with her assessment and back her decision. I suggest you hang out in the humour thread and flex your happy thoughts muscle or you will be given an invitation to the world (a nice way of saying banned)

Cosmo
FYI ... I have PM'd thelib with a warning that he is on notice if he continues to bait members of this forum. Of 31 posts, 14 are aimed directly at one other forum member. It just ain't gonna fly, Orville. Play nice.

Toro
I wanted to come by and apologize to anyone who may have been offended by what I had said recently on another thread. The charming, intelligent and urbane moderators have informed me that several of you were upset about my (juvenile) dig at Reverend Blair concerning "his heroes", that being Pol Pot and Stalin. I genuinely wasn't trying to offend anyone (well, anyone but one) but rather, not only to escalate a silly flame war, but also to make a wider point. Unfortunately, my lack of skill as a writer precluded my ability to do so effectively, and in retrospect, I was wrong in using such over the top language when I was unable to effectively communicate my point. Plus I was wrong for engaging in escalating this silliness. I honestly didn't believe anyone would take my statements seriously. I may disagree a lot with Reverend Blair (and I certainly don't trust him - he knows why), but I wouldn't ever believe that Pol Pot and Stalin were his or anyone sane's heroes. I figured the statement was so outrageous and ridiculous that no one could possibly take it seriously.

There's this continuing chain of thought in certain parts of the political spectrum that what is happening in America is akin to "facism" or "Nazism", that America is turning into the "Fourth Reich", that we live in a police state. To me, and to most people in America, that is a tremendously outrageous and ridiculous statement. Not only does is it demeaning to Americans, it trivializes the millions who died during the time of Nazi Germany. It would be deeply offensive - if it weren't so comical and cartoonish. But it passes for serious debate with some. To me, comparing America to Nazi Germany is as outrageous as saying that someone on the Left's hero is Pol Pot or Stalin. That was the point I was clumsily and unsuccesfully trying to infer. (Well, and to be juvenile in a flame war.)

So, again, I apologize to anyone who was offended by that comment. Even you Rev.

jimmoyer
I knew it all the time about you Toro. That euro-dollar analysis was absolutely top notch.

mrmom2
Nobody said you lived in a police state but its goin that way Toro but even you got to admit your goverment is gutting your sacred document the constitution faster than ever before.By the way I think it's the best in the world and I don't know why more Americans don't stand up and tell Bush and the gang to Take their f**King hands off it

Diamond Sun
Well written toro. Keeping out of flame wars is hard for the best of us, and sometimes they do drag us in. It takes guts to take responsibility.

Now, in another note, am I the only one who finds humour in the photo of Bush in Toro's avatar underneath his current status as "Beyond Help" ??

Haggis McBagpipe
Quote: Originally Posted by Toro

To me, comparing America to Nazi Germany is as outrageous as saying that someone on the Left's hero is Pol Pot or Stalin.

I absolutely agree with you on this.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Diamond Sun

Now, in another note, am I the only one who finds humour in the photo of Bush in Toro's avatar underneath his current status as "Beyond Help" ??

He thinks Margaret Thatcher is the greatest politician that ever lived, personally I think he has the hots for her :P

Toro
You bet!

I think it is very fair to criticize the war and the actions to restrict civil liberties in America. You may strongly disagree with the actions of the United States, and I respect that. But what is happening in America is a galaxy away from what happend in Nazi Germany.

mrmom2
That may be true Toro but the play book is very similar

thelib

You bet!

I think it is very fair to criticize the war and the actions to restrict civil liberties in America. You may strongly disagree with the actions of the United States, and I respect that. But what is happening in America is a galaxy away from what happend in Nazi Germany.

Your 100% right, some really believe what the MSM is spewing and then use it to fuel fires with people that actually know what’s going on.

peapod
Goodbye mr. tibbs...oh I mean mr. libs...

Toro, I admire what you said, there must be still some canadian still in there :P Perhaps we can all agree not to compare bush to hitler, of course we cannot force anyone to, but if we know how upsetting it is to some people, maybe we could bite our lip. People always say things in the heat of the moment or when they are angry. Not me tho

Seriously tho, you have extended the olive branch, and I think we should all take it. It might be difficult but we could make the effort.

Toro
Bush rocks!

I think not

Bush rocks!

Sorry Toro, but I'm rather BUSHED :P

Toro
Oh, just so we're clear.

Cosmo
Toro ... just read your post. From the PMs you and I have exchanged, I kinda figured you were a decent guy and the post confirms it. Thank you.

It is so easy to get caught up in the heat of an argument but it takes character to step off once you're involved. I realize humour online isn't simple, but your explanation goes a long way to helping the rest of us decipher humour from serious comments. Kudos to you. As a mod, I say thanks!!

peapod
The posting of andem's real name last night on this board, is just another example of the kind of tatics that certain individuals will use to try and intimidate others. Anyone posting peoples real names at this board will be banned, as they are at other boards. Its the act of a true coward.

Jay
Some people just don't understand discretion.

I think not
Quote: Originally Posted by Jay

Jay's real name is Abderus Neratius. Or was that one of his chickens? I forget.

peapod
I don't give a dam what they understand! What I do understand is cowards. The kind with a big yellow stripe down their back. I repeat anyone using these kind of tatics at this board is going to be banned.

Jay

See what I mean!! :P

I think not

See what I mean!! :P

Calm yourself Abderus. No one is looking :P

peapod
I am glad you find this so amusing Jay, but than it was not your real name up there.