:D Canine Trouble on the Way!

View Poll Results: Should dogs be allowed in stores if they are carried?
Yes 9 81.82%
No Way 2 18.18%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Cosmo
Today I bought Moche an "Outward Hound Sling-Go" carrier:

In red, of course ... all her accessories are red. I plan to take the little terror with me where ever I go now. I get so tired of going into corner stores or, worse yet, supermarkets, and having all these people with unmanageable, sugar crazed children drooling in the bulk bins, throwing tantrums, running into my heels with those damn little kid carts they provide.

I figure if people can have their service dogs with them, there is no reason I can't carry my dog with me. She won't be walking around on the floor, won't be bothering anyone, won't be shedding, crapping or otherwise creating a nuisance. And she will certainly be less irritating than many of the offspring I see being dragged behind exasperated parents ... or worse yet, proudly displayed in all their drooling glory by parents who think all of us happen to actually like kids.

After a trip to the vet today I found out our girl is a bit pudgy ... gotta lose 3 pounds, which means anywhere I walk, the damn dog is going with me. So look out Victoria ... there'll be a crazed dyke with an ill mannered Jack Russell strapped to her coming your way!

Reverend Blair
Give 'em hell, Cosmo. Do you realize that I'm not even allowed to bring a dog to patios here? What a bizarre rule.

Dogs have been hanging out with people since so far back that who made who smarter is up in the air. Now, for some bizarre reason, we can't take dogs with us where we choose. That's just wrong.

Ten Packs
A smallish dog, under those circumstances.... I find it hard to think of a "Why Not".

But if it pees or craps in that thing, deal with it outside!

Ten Packs
Quote:

there'll be a crazed dyke with an ill mannered Jack Russell strapped to her coming your way!

Now, there's a comforting image!......

Ten Packs
Quote:

I get so tired of going into corner stores or, worse yet, supermarkets, and having all these people with unmanageable, sugar crazed children drooling in the bulk bins, throwing tantrums, running into my heels with those damn little kid carts they provide.

Indeed - and is there some problem with teaching them that it is customary to stay to the right?...... hmmm, actually, there's more than a few "grown-ups" that could stand a refresher-course in that one, too. I am someday going to be rich enough to bring little stick-on "flags" with me when I go shopping, that read "Abandoned Cart! Call 911!"

Mental belches......

Judland
Heck, if it means I can bring my Lab. along with me, I'll carry her!

missile
If the dogs are small enough to carry and are well behaved..why not?I hate to see all the dogs locked up in their owners vehicles,while they spend a long time malling.No wonder they bark and fuss a lot!

Twila
Quote:

there'll be a crazed dyke with an ill mannered Jack Russell strapped to her coming your way!

You should have this embroidered on the sling. Seeing eye dogs are required to wear a vest stating their business......Or...simply tell people your a seeing eye dyke(for the dog)

Chk 6 news had a story of the 80yr old in Brentwood Bay who put her 70old cockatoo in a stroller and took him to the stores with her....If she can do that with a bird...then you can do that with your dog...

Jovey
My mom has relayed to me that while working one night there had been a customer who came in the store shopping with a cockateil on their shoulders.

Yes this is neat. I couldn't do it with my own 'teil, I'm not sure if I would if I could. Accidents happen.

I think this would cause a ruckus, not only with non-dog people, but also between doggy people as well. It wouldn't be fair if only small dogs were allowed in, but then big dogs would cause a problem because, well, they're big.

Now I don't mind letting my lab sit in my lap (she's 100% positive that she's a lap dog) but I don't think I'd want to carry her through the store. I might push her in a shopping cart though!

Jay
"Should dogs be allowed in stores if they are carried?

If the store owners want to let you, they should be allowed too....

EmmaDibbs
How's the dog going to lose weight if you are carryng her??

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Ten Packs

Quote:

Now, there's a comforting image!......

Always glad to offer comfort, TenPacks!

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by Twila

Quote:

You should have this embroidered on the sling. Seeing eye dogs are required to wear a vest stating their business......Or...simply tell people your a seeing eye dyke(for the dog)

Excellent suggestion! I bet if I embroidered that I'd meet with far less resistance!

Emma ... she will only be in the sling when we're in the store. Outside she walks. At the moment, I have to leave her at home to run my errands but this way she can come along.

Only trouble is the damn dog bites me when I try to put her in the sling. She's not impressed. Got a little work to do there, I guess.

zenfisher
When I first moved down here , I was actually surprised that store owners & managers refrain from kicking anyone who brings a pet into a store. It is within their right, but few feel the need too. We aren't talking little dogs either..I mean full size dogs. Its refreshing. its an extra break in the day.

mochasworld721
Tonight, I brought my toy poodle in a supermarket inside a attractive doggie carrier and on the way out, the manager told me that dogs are allowed in the store. I thought that this might have been a rule, but I wasn't sure because I have seen others breaking this rule. I was doing this to get him use to his carrier. I didn't have him out nor was I walking him around the store, so Ithought this ruling was unfair. There is nothing posted outside or inside the store to address this and I could not see why I could not bring him in if I was being discrete about it. It you are going to enforce the rule, then enfore it with all pets and not let any pet be the exception (except for special needs). I have seen a bird in the store once, and nothing was said. I have seen men and women bring in their little doggies in their coats and in their hand bags. I even saw a lady a few weeks ago in a resturant, with a little dog in a carrier and no one said anything to her. I thougsht it was cute and the dog was well behaved. I even knew a lady a few years ago who brought her little dog to class at a community college. The dog was well behaved. She would walk him to the building and at the door she would open up her purse and he would jump in and she go to class. He was so quite that no one knew in class knew he was in her purse. Well I guess my little sweetheart will have to stay home from the stores, unless it's Petsmart.

Cosmo
Quote: Originally Posted by mochasworld721

Well I guess my little sweetheart will have to stay home from the stores, unless it's Petsmart.

Ah, my favourite soapbox topic! I missed it while I was moving.

My girl comes with me almost everywhere I go. If a corner store won't allow her in, I don't shop there. If people bitch at me, I bitch back. I'm careful about it ... if we're inside, I carry her and I don't let her bother anyone. I figure us doggy neurotics gotta start pushing the envelope more!! Leave those damn drooling, screaming kids in the car and I'll leave my dog there too.

Sassylassie
lol Cosmo, how did Moche react to the move? I love running into people and their dogs in stores, it makes a dreary errand fun. There is one lady who comes to our monthly auctions and she carries her Apso Lapso around and the dog gets more attention than the power tools. I've taken my dog, Harley, into the Auction a couple of times but he's such an attention ***** that I can't pay attention to the Auctioneer, so now I leave him home. Is Moche good with strangers Cosmo?

manda
...You've gotten all moved then Cosmo...well then, call me back! I have much news!!!!!