Kitchen Myths

Twila
I just now came across this page. I wish I'd come across this during an arguement I had with a chef friend about whether warm or cold water boils faster.

www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm (external - login to view)

no1important
Thats a cool site. Have you been to Urban legends Page? at Snopes? (external - login to view)

Frito lay
OK Twila, I am a man of scientific facts and will do a experiment at no cost to the parties involved in your dispute. I have a panel of well defined Chefs one of would be the famous "Sweedish Chef" who I might add has a long standing career on a televised Muppets series you may have seen. (I accuiered a special syringe a short while ago and was told not to use it for an earlier experiment I was involved in.) I use the syringe to measure equal parts of water, warm and cold water and time them with well calibrated Timex.....Stay tuned for results

missile
Sounds like an upcoming episode of the series "MythBusters" on Discovery.I just wonder how they'll manage to blow some of these up..

Frappuccino Dibs
Interesting:

How the hell did they get 'identical pieces of meat'???

Not possible I'm afraid.

Twila
Quote:

Not possible I'm afraid.

Frap, I've learned (with much frustration) that most people do not choose their words with any thought. I'm still learning to 'translate" correctly and to not get as angry with people for being sloppy....

Frito lay
"Meat" Did I miss somthing?

Twila
you may have Frito lay, but whether it was important is up for debate!

missile
Identical pieces of meat? Of course. just buy a box of steaks at your friendly M&M meat Shops-every single one is the exact same as the others.

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by Frappuccino Dibs

Interesting:

Not possible I'm afraid.

Two quality steaks, like rib-steaks or T-bones, that are cut next to each other from the same piece of beef, will be next-to-identical - even in the marbling.

Twila
Quote:

Two quality steaks, like rib-steaks or T-bones, that are cut next to each other from the same piece of beef, will be next-to-identical - even in the marbling.

Hey. What do you call this? It's not quite a pun....but it's pun like.

Ten Packs
That never dawned on me, Twila - you're pretty sharp!

Twila
Quote:

you're pretty sharp!

LMAO You too!

Frappuccino Dibs
No, it is impossible.

How can you be sure that the two pieces of meat have the same water content, the same salt content, iron, selection of protiens etc. etc.

Two identicle pieces of meat do not exist. Two similar pieces is something completely different.

I'm being pedantic here - lets not get too hung up on it....

.....but I'm right!

EmmaDibbs
See Mr Dibbs...that's why I always put hot water in the pans when I boil things...it's much quicker!!

peapod
www.themeatrix.com/ (external - login to view)