Bad is sometimes good, yet good, is never bad?

Sy
I'm trying really hard here to understand the point of this thread. Gordon are you saying that people should blame the government simply because Murder/Killing and Poverty/Homelessness Charities/other social disfunctions exist? If so, I find it hard to see how a government can in any way shape or form be held accountable for these facets of life since they've been around and existed longer than any government in history, and they will continue to exist until...well who knows until?

If my perception of your point is wrong please let me know.

Gordon J Torture
Finally, someone who wants to talk about the main point. You have shown me respect and for that I thank you.

I am saying people should put more effort into aquiring knowledge about things they choose to participate in. People must educate themselves, and if they choose not to, should deal with whatever consequences are being dealt to those they inadvertently helped with their ignorance.

***Also, this wasn't meant to be a politcal thread, but instead more of a philosophical one. That is why it is in this forum. Most of my references were metaphorical.

Sy
I completely agree people as a whole and as individuals must educate themselves before beginning virtually any endeavour. It's a shame, though, that even after learning of certain potential consequences people continue to pursue these endeavours until completion.

All the talk of legality and meaning throughout this thread misses the point entirely. Our law has a definition of murder, but would ANY lawyer, politician or (to a lesser extent) corporate CEO use that definition to describe all of the environmental destruction that occurs every day in the name of the all mighty dollar? Birds, trees, rivers, fish, Nature in general is Killed in the process of urban sprawl but not one of the above mentioned classes would call it murder. The sad part is that these deaths occur by so called "educated" people and instead of realizing the problem they only add to it.

However from the other side of the spectrum you can't blame these people for trying to make the world a better place to live. Eventually we'll have 90% of all land covered in cement and the word "Nature" will have lost virtually all meaning...but that's life right?

Gordon J Torture
Wow! .. Great points .. See, this is the type of discussion I was looking for!

Quote:

However from the other side of the spectrum you can't blame these people for trying to make the world a better place to live

Actually, don't you think most of those people are simply trying to make their own homes and their own cars better?

Twila
Quote:

However from the other side of the spectrum you can't blame these people for trying to make the world a better place to live.

I don't believe people are trying to make the world a better place. I think they're just trying to accumulate as much money as possible so they can do the least amount of work so they can sit around and get fat and lazy.....

Sy
Quote: Originally Posted by Gordon J Torture

Actually, don't you think most of those people are simply trying to make their own homes and their own cars better?

True enough, i'm sure...but have you ever owned a business? I'd have to say the more successful a business becomes the easier it is to acquire better things.

I don't want to call a CEO a bad person for owning and operating a company, but it's the "corporation" aspect that generate public opinion. Microsoft employs thousands of people worldwide, donates to all kinds of charities and their products are world renowned for being easy and intuitive. Yet because of them being a corporation they have a bad name and people remain ignorant to the good they actually do. Now, does this in anyway excuse them from the destruction of land and animals that their office buildings and complexes enacted during their creation? Legally yes, but only time will tell if that destruction was a step in the right or wrong direction.

I have to admit I'm not enlightened enough to understand how business and nature can live hand in hand, symbiotically as it were, but I'm sure there is a way. There must be. Gord what do you think? or anyone else?

Derry McKinney
Quote:

True enough, i'm sure...but have you ever owned a business?

Yup.

Quote:

I have to admit I'm not enlightened enough to understand how business and nature can live hand in hand, symbiotically as it were, but I'm sure there is a way. There must be.

There is. We've given corporations the same rights as individuals...a convenient legal fiction. Now we have to make them behave as individuals. That means they have to be responsible. If they won't be, those in charge of those corporations have to be held personally responsible.

Gordon J Torture
Quote:

Yet because of them being a corporation they have a bad name and people remain ignorant to the good they actually do

First of all, they do not do nearly as much good as they could, but that is an argument that will go nowhere.

Second, their intent for donating to charity is not out of the goodness of their hearts, trust me.

Gordon J Torture
Quote:

I have to admit I'm not enlightened enough to understand how business and nature can live hand in hand, symbiotically as it were, but I'm sure there is a way. There must be. Gord what do you think? or anyone else?

I think, the time it takes to tell, is much longer then our short lives will allow us to live. At best, it will provide more overall positivity in the short-term, but in the long, it will be nothing but negative.