Australian Accent versus British English

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
Re: Australian accent vr's English

Frappuccino Dibs said:
Why do Canadian and American people so often think that English people are Australian?

When travelling in Scotland some years ago I came upon a sign in Edinburgh which read "English spoken, American understood"! This might sum up the language thing.

LPlates

Feb 24, 2005
UK
RE: Australian accent vr's English

Hi

I'm from the UK, and I don't sound Australian, I know in differant parts of the UK accents change, but I'v never heard one that I would honestly say sounds Australian.

L.Plates

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
RE: Australian accent vr'

I think maybe people have problems telling the difference between Kiwi and Aussie accents.

But I have no problem with English and Aussie. If it's a short conversation I have problems telling between kiwi and aussie.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005

The Dame Edna comes to mind for some reason....

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

We think that because theres nothing but Aussies on our tv shows .For some reason the powers that be think Noth americans love Aussies :?

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

throw one of them there special sausages mom on the barbie. You know the ones form the smoked dingo sausage company. Now be quiet for awhile mom, or as the aussies say "go bite your bum" :lol: :lol: :lol:

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow

g'day cobber,

Na! not yet mom, I been talking to the bush telegraphs (gossipers)
We are playing with our didgeridoo's right now. *swat* * splat* just got one of those dunny budgies. 8) which reminds me this place is as noisy as a Dunny door in a storm. ( a outside toilet door slamming in the wind) Are the mystery bags (dingo sausages) ready yet mom?? :wink:

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005

Er Hem!

I say chaps, would you be so kind as to return to the Queens language? There there, thats a good fellow.

Tally ho.

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005

Personally, I'm rather glad I don't speak like Queenie - I've heard of plummy, but she sounds like she got a bloody grapefruit under her tongue. :lol:

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005

Since the Queen really is in a rather small minority group of English people who speak with a silver spoon rammed up their arses - I say that it is people like the queen that do not speak true English. BOSH!

However, the only country in the world that actually speaks English is England (with the small exceptions being Liverpool, Birmingham, Bristol and Blandford).

Chocks away ol' chum!

;-)

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC

I love the English way with words Fortnight ,Long ticks of toast,The best sayings :wink: