Big Big News!

peapod
The ivory-billed woodpecker (Campephilus principalis), long suspected to be extinct, has been rediscovered in the "Big Woods" region of eastern Arkansas. Visual encounters during 2004 and 2005, and analysis of a video clip from April 2004, confirm the existence of at least one male. Acoustic signatures consistent with Campephilus display-drums also have been heard from the region. Extensive efforts to locate birds away from the primary site remain unsuccessful, but potential habitat for a thinly distributed source population is vast (over 220,000 ha).

www.nature.org/ (external - login to view)

There use to be a vacant field close to where I live. The field still exists, but it has 5 vinyl houses on it now. The gary oaks still remain, as they are protected here.
When it was just a gary oak forest, a red piliated woodpecker would visit. You could hear his knock at the door for miles. What a spectular bird visually, prehistoric, and the air of a king. :P After he would fly off to another forest, I would go to the tree he was dining at, and collect some of the shavings of his drill :P I don't see or hear him anymore, he has moved on to another forest. But it was a thrill to watch him.

Jay
I saw that on TV last night. Cool eh?

peapod
Yes it is!

DasFX
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

The ivory-billed woodpecker (Campephilus principalis), long suspected to be extinct, has been rediscovered ... Extensive efforts to locate birds away from the primary site remain unsuccessful

They should just leave it & the others alone. It has managed to survive for the past 60 years despite our best efforts to drive the species into extinction. Why do we need to find it? So we can finish the job?

Nosferax
FoxNews / NRA: Tonight we are proud to announce that ivory woodpecker season is now open... News at 5...

Nosferax
Forgot the smiley...

peapod
I agree with that FX, but I cannot help being excited about its discovery. It renews hope.

NickFun
A hude bird like that has been hiding out for 60 years? How did it do this? Soon they will find Tyranasaurus Rex living in the swamps of Saskatchwan!

Jovey
Although it doesn't benefit the species much and a rebound is surely unlikely, this IS interesting news.

I finished a book last year (The Ghost with Trembling Wings: Scott Weidensaul) about this guy who travelled around the world looking for species that had been officially classified as extinct, but continued to be sighted on numerous occasions. He didn't report any sightings on his own trip, but left the reader with the impression that it was still possible many of them could still exist. When you hear these stories, your first thought is that these eyewitness accounts are nothing more than misidentification. However, in certain instances there were experts that were the witnesses. It makes you really wonder.

And now one of them appears! I wonder if the thylacine will ever reappear again? Now that is one creature I really would have liked to have seen.

NickFun
I would like to find Neanderthals still living in the caves. Surely they are smarter and better at hiding that a woodpecker!

Jo Canadian

Vanni Fucci
Hey...I think I have one of those living in one of my trees...I'll have to get a closer look...

Vanni Fucci
It's true, I was out in my front yard the other day, and I looked up and saw this woodpecker in my tree, which I pointed out to my disinterested 15 month old daughter...I had seen a news report the night before about the ivory billed woodpecker being sighted for the first time in about 60 years, and thought "hmm...that woodpecker's bill looks kind of ivoryish..."

Well...I've had a look at some pics of woodpeckers, and I don't think it was a pileated one...it certainly didn't have a dark bill...I must get closer...and get some good pics...

peapod
A pliated woodpecker is pretty big, at least the red piliated woodpeckers I have seen, small butterball turkey size. How big was this woodpecker?

Walrus
Where I am working right now, on the Colwood side of CFB Esquimalt, I regularly see Deer, Osprey, Bald Eagles, (even a Golden Eagle this year), Blue Herons, Kingfishers, Harbour Seals, an occasional Killer Whale in the Harbour, and today I saw a Sea Otter that lives around the base. Something that I see unappreciated is the fact that our military bases actually provide a safe haven for a lot of different species and that we, the military people, take active steps to help preserve these animals. If you know someone in the military ask them if they can give you a tour of some of these places - the diversity and quantity of wildlife is simply incredible and the lack of a threat to these animals makes them much more approachable than you would normally see

peapod
This will big news to islanders walrus...just kidding now : tis hard living in lotusland.

Walrus

This will big news to islanders walrus...just kidding now : tis hard living in lotusland.

I guess I'll have to delete my post . Can't let the secret out

Vanni Fucci

A pliated woodpecker is pretty big, at least the red piliated woodpeckers I have seen, small butterball turkey size. How big was this woodpecker?

I don't know...8 inches or so...not turkey size, that's for sure...and it wasn't as pudgy as a red-bellied woodpecker, never mind the fact that it didn't have a red belly...

What it did have is a red tufty head, and a ivoryish bill...I've heard it rapping away at the trees before, so I should be able to see him again...I'll get a picture dammit...if it's the last thing I do...