I QUIT

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Smoking. As of Monday April 25. I have been "clean" nicotine free since.

Yay me!

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Bravo Twila. My advice, for what it's worth; None of that "one day at a time" drivel - you just don't smoke.
(If you're offered a smoke, don't say "no thanks, I'm trying to give them up", say "No thanks, I don't smoke". A small thing, but incredibly empowering). Hehehe

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
what's your secret?

Drugs actually. Zyban to be specific. Works like a charm. the only hard part is finding something to do at those times that you'd normally be smoking. My brain periodically fires up the "time to go for a smoke" My mind has to say NO not any more.

Henry, I think you are right. I quite once about 4 yrs ago (for 6 months) and I hated the questions "so do you feel like smoking?" or "getting cravings yet?"
so I learned to simply say "I don't smoke"

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: I QUIT

Twila said:
I quite once about 4 yrs ago (for 6 months)

:lol: :lol: I think it was Wilde, or Twain, or some other wag, who said "Giving up smoking is easy. I've done it lots of times." :lol:

Laika

Electoral Member
Apr 22, 2005
Where The Wild Things Are
Congratulations! I'm a former smoker myself and quitting was one of the best things I've ever done for myself. You just don't realize how horrible that stuff smells until you quit. Plus, it's a great feeling to climb a flight of stairs and not be winded at the first landing! :)

Good for you! All the cool kids are non-smokers nowadays anyway. ;)

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
Re: RE: I QUIT

Hard-Luck Henry said:
Twila said:
I quite once about 4 yrs ago (for 6 months)

:lol: :lol: I think it was Wilde, or Twain, or some other wag, who said "Giving up smoking is easy. I've done it lots of times." :lol:

I had to know, so I googled. 'Twas Twain. The quote relating to Wilde that I'd heard was this one:

Oscar Wilde: "Do you mind if I smoke?"
Sarah Bernhardt: "I don't care if you burn" 8)

Hey, and it looks like you're a cool kid, Twila. 8)

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Hey, and it looks like you're a cool kid, Twila. Cool
Does this mean I have to give up being a geek? I like being a geek.
currently I can skip down the road. I don't have to wear the latest. I can act as silly as I like (and I do, often). But if I was cool.....I'd have to maintain a certain decorum.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Good for you Twila ..it'll be ten years for me on Dec.1 It is definately one of the hardest things I have ever done.

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
WELL DONE!

Once I was serious about giving up, I actually found it really easy. Only the post meal cigarette was difficult to lose the craving over.

Cigarettes smell aweful to me now and the thought of smoking makes me feel sick. I think this is my body saying 'your not bringing that shit near me again'.

You'll save a shed load of money as well.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Way to go Twila :D I quit 3 years ago and i feel much better The only thing that changed though is my weight I got a little heavier Instead of buying smokes i bought goodies like candy and cakes so watch out for that stuff it will kill you :lol: :lol: :wink:

snoproblem

Nominee Member
Mar 18, 2005
The battle to quit continues for my kid sister. We all encourage her a lot.

Actually, she's one of only three remaining smokers in my extended family. Either they quit, or passed away. It was the other way around, just a generation or two ago ie. three or four non-smokers, the rest puffing away.

Times change. :clock:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I'm the last smoker when I go to my dad's now. Well, except for one of my nephews, but his parents aren't supposed to know that, so don't tell anyone. ;-)

I hear my mom quit now too, so when I go there I'll be the last smoker.

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I too was the last smoker in my family.

Everyone else has quit. It sucked visiting and having to sit in the garage or backyard by myself smoking alone like some kind of junkie