Women and reverse / parallel parking.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
What is up with women and parallel parking 8O I have been helping my niece learn to drive. 8O Actually she done quite well, but she cannot master the parallel parking. I have noticed alot of women will drive around in a circle rather than try to parallel park. What up with that???

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
For men, a car is a required skill of manliness. This means that it would be quite unmanly to be unable to complete a skill so basic it's included in drivers training. Women, on the other hand, see cars as a tool to get someplace, so if the place they're going doesn't require parallel parking, they won't bother to learn, as nobody will chastize them for it. I'd make fun of any guy who couldn't parallel park, but I wouldn't say anything if a girl couldn't (at least to her face :) )

Hard-Luck Henry

Council Member
Feb 19, 2005
It's to do with spatial awareness, pea - our brains are wired differently. Oh, and you're too busy applying lipgloss to watch what you're doing.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
What is up with women and parallel parking I have been helping my niece learn to drive. Actually she done quite well, but she cannot master the parallel parking. I have noticed alot of women will drive around in a circle rather than try to parallel park. What up with that???

That's not the first time I've heard that before. My Ex mother in law had explained something about it though. Apparently men have a different sense of depth perception that helps them out in that situation. I have no idea if it is true, but it's better than the lip gloss theory.

AirIntake

Electoral Member
Mar 9, 2005
Yes, spatial relationships are different for women. That's why they suck at videogames too :) (my G/F will admit to this)

I'm also willing to bet that men put in more time driving than women because they consider it recreation sometimes.

EmmaDibbs

Electoral Member
Nov 26, 2004
Bournemouth, UK
Pea- just get her to angle her wing mirror down so she can see the curb better- once she does it a few times she will get the hang of it but the mirror thing helps. Also get her to note visually points at which she starts turning, etc such as 'turn in when your wing mirror is level with the back of the other car' that way you can't really mess it up!

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Em, thats way too sensible. Surely some male hormones and a sex change would be easier.

On a serious note, the visual points system really does work but it changes from car to car. The individual just has to get used to it in each car they drive.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Women and reverse / p

Just tell her to drive in frontwards at a steep angle, drive up on the curb, crank the wheel, and when the front right tire fall off the curb she will be perfectly parked.

At that point you can exit your pick-up truck and get some more beer out of the cooler in back. ;-)

jackd

Nominee Member
Nov 23, 2004
Montreal
Who's talking about women's parking problem?

Frappuccino Dibs

Electoral Member
Apr 25, 2005
Isn't that a Fiat 500? If so then it should fit in any parking space at any angle. The perfect womans car.

It's the best Ferrari ever made ;-)

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
It is a funny thing with parallel parking. I've never felt I could do it, and I sure don't have any particular method for doing it, yet I get it perfectly everytime, without having to jockey it. As I say, though, this is definitely not through any skill on my part, it is just plain dumb luck. I know that the plain dumb luck factor will run dry on the day I ever have to be re-tested.