What do you come here for?

Canucklehead
I first happened by the boards while searching the net for a list of "Canadianisms" after a discussion with a friend. Can't remember what the search was but CC came up /shrug

I stay because the discussion is a hell of a lot more level headed than I am used to. (anyone whose visited GUTalk-International knows what I mean).

I don't post a whole lot because I am not a confrontational person and don't have page upon page of links supporting my views, not to mention truly unbiased links are few and far between no matter whose posting them.

Diamond Sun
I breeze in and out when I'm looking for some procrastination time. I am often up for a good debate, but have to find just that perfect thread to throw in my two cents.

Mostly, I like to lurk because I like watching people. Ha. That sounds creepy doesn't it.

Seriously though, I was looking for something better than the local crappy forum, and stumbled onto this.

peapod
I wish you would come more often diamond, you are missed around here. Blah! enough of the mushy stuff :P

Dexter Sinister
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

The physics of beauty requires math. ... Each number is the sum of the two preceding numbers. This pattern is everywhere

Good one pea, nice little tidbit of information there, and the mathematician in me is pleased to see a non-mathematician reporting it. It's called the Fibonacci series, after the 13th century Italian mathematician who discovered it. No doubt there are those (in other threads... ) who would take this as evidence of design, when in fact it's just a description. Almost anywhere a spiral occurs in nature, the Fibonacci series is involved in its mathematical description.

And it's also true that as you go farther along the series, the ratio of adjacent numbers approaches what's variously called the Golden Section, the Golden Mean, the Golden Ratio, etc. It appears that a rectangle whose short and long sides bear that ratio to each other is uniquely aesthetically pleasing to the human eye, so it also shows up in architectural designs (the face of the Parthenon in Athens is that kind of rectangle), and right down to such mundane things as the dimensions of furniture. The ancient Greeks knew it well, and it appears to have been a major motivator in their discovery of irrational numbers, because it is itself an irrational number (that's a number that can't be expressed exactly as a ratio of two integers). It's a nice example of what science often refers to as "elegance," which might be defined as the unity and consistency of patterns we see in nature.

There's another reason to come here: this place is full of little gems of information like that. Unfortunately, nobody with a real life can read all the threads and posts to get them all...

peapod
A little time in the garden and a few good botany books. The greatest pleasure comes from the observation

no new posts