House Prices

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I guess that depends where you live on the island emma. Victoria I think has one of the highest in the country. The further north you go the cheaper they are. I will send you some real estate links. I will do it right now. :wink:

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
Victoria I think has one of the highest in the country.
Yes, it does. Which is really odd when you consider that Victoria has really bad infrastructure and a high low income population.

but that's Victoria for you. Strange. Different. Unlike any place else.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You can buy a three bedroom bungalow in Punnichy for between $10,000 and $15,000 Canadian. The prices there have risen sharply in the last year because people keep buying the houses and moving them elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that's where we're retiring when the time comes....where the houses are almost free and the barmaid used to be my babysitter.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
A lot of it depends on interest rates...

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Not if you can get a house for $10K it doesn't. Then it just depends on your willingness to live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.

Why would anybody move to a place where the houses cost a gazillion dollars?

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.
she must be getting up there, eh?

where the hell is that place? somewhere in the hinterland of manitoba? do they have mosquitoes there rev? if so, count me out. no way i want those feasting flying knats near me.....uggg

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
She's about fifteen years older than I am, galianomama.

That place is about an hour and half north of Regina. A bustling metropolis of around 400 and shrinking every day. It has a bar, two co-ops (food and hardware), and a post office. There's even a couple of doctors. It has a museum and an art gallery dedicated to the artist who used to live there.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
sounds like a hell of a deal to me. i have wanted to move to the prairies for a long time. it is insane out here what the house prices are....you can't even get a shack on the island here under $150,000. and here in victoria everything starts at around $350,000.00 believe me, it isn't worth the $350K. so, to get something that you don't have to keep fixing up .... you are looking at around $425K. new homes are around $475K and you have absolutely no yard. sickening.

we spend a lot of our time out on the gulf islands, just to fall off of the 'grid'...believe me, that sounds like the ideal place to be!

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: House Prices

Reverend Blair said:
Not if you can get a house for $10K it doesn't. Then it just depends on your willingness to live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.

Why would anybody move to a place where the houses cost a gazillion dollars?

If you look at the price of houses in Toronto 3 years ago, and look at them now....

My sister in law bought a house for around 250k and sold it a few years later for something like 425k...

Big assets can really make you money when you sell them.

I bought a house once for 86k, sold it for 105.5k 4 years later.

I paid some taxes and lawyers fees, the rest went into my new better and bigger house.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
I had a three bedroom house with basement on five acres just North of Fort St. John. I sold it for 83,000 in 2001. 83,000 is just a down payment here in Surrey as my "new' house cost $360,000 in 2001.

I guess prices are dependant where one wants to live, commute, availbility of work etc.

I know Vancouver is the greatest city in the World to live in after Victoria, so I don't mind spending extra to live here. :)

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
We paid $50k for this house. The last tax assesment was for just over $80k, the insurance company insists on $120K as being the replacement price, which I don't doubt at all knowing what construction costs.

The house next door, which caught fire a few years ago and was completely redone inside, just sold for $126 K. It's similar to this place, but has a new detached, heated garage.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
apparently, the house prices here on the island are only going to continue to go up until after the olympics. that's the news in the industry, that it is busy now, but will only triple in the next few years. dunno where everyone is going to live, after all it is an island! 8O

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I was just reading something on another site about how Victoria needs to infill, which would also make mass-transit viable. I don't the situation there, but that sounded pretty similar to what a lot of us are saying here in Winnipeg.

I'm not sure what that would do to housing prices there though. Here there keep going up.

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thats what Kamloops is doing right now infilling all the empty lots its nice to see.Getting rid of all those dusty empty lots

Twila

Nanah Potato
Mar 26, 2003
I think Victoria may be in for an eye opener. Business are pulling out of downtown and moving to the outskirts. Langford and Sooke.

For $107K you get a 1 bd 550sq ft condo in down town Victoria. For those who want downtown city living.

Mind you Vancouver for the same sq ft it's $200k. But then your in downtown Vancouver. A completely different situation.