House Prices

EmmaDibbs
So- house prices on Vancouver Island...are they going to continue going up or not?

peapod
I guess that depends where you live on the island emma. Victoria I think has one of the highest in the country. The further north you go the cheaper they are. I will send you some real estate links. I will do it right now.

Twila
Quote:

Victoria I think has one of the highest in the country.

Yes, it does. Which is really odd when you consider that Victoria has really bad infrastructure and a high low income population.

but that's Victoria for you. Strange. Different. Unlike any place else.

Reverend Blair
You can buy a three bedroom bungalow in Punnichy for between $10,000 and $15,000 Canadian. The prices there have risen sharply in the last year because people keep buying the houses and moving them elsewhere.

I'm pretty sure that's where we're retiring when the time comes....where the houses are almost free and the barmaid used to be my babysitter.

Jay
A lot of it depends on interest rates...

Reverend Blair
Not if you can get a house for $10K it doesn't. Then it just depends on your willingness to live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.

Why would anybody move to a place where the houses cost a gazillion dollars?

galianomama
Quote:

live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.

she must be getting up there, eh?

where the hell is that place? somewhere in the hinterland of manitoba? do they have mosquitoes there rev? if so, count me out. no way i want those feasting flying knats near me.....uggg

Reverend Blair
She's about fifteen years older than I am, galianomama.

That place is about an hour and half north of Regina. A bustling metropolis of around 400 and shrinking every day. It has a bar, two co-ops (food and hardware), and a post office. There's even a couple of doctors. It has a museum and an art gallery dedicated to the artist who used to live there.

galianomama
sounds like a hell of a deal to me. i have wanted to move to the prairies for a long time. it is insane out here what the house prices are....you can't even get a shack on the island here under $150,000. and here in victoria everything starts at around $350,000.00 believe me, it isn't worth the $350K. so, to get something that you don't have to keep fixing up .... you are looking at around $425K. new homes are around $475K and you have absolutely no yard. sickening.

we spend a lot of our time out on the gulf islands, just to fall off of the 'grid'...believe me, that sounds like the ideal place to be!

jackd
You can look-up prices of houses on this site:
Just fill-in the blanks.
www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=245 (external - login to view)

Jay
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Not if you can get a house for $10K it doesn't. Then it just depends on your willingness to live in a town where the barmaid used to change your diapers.

Why would anybody move to a place where the houses cost a gazillion dollars?

If you look at the price of houses in Toronto 3 years ago, and look at them now....

My sister in law bought a house for around 250k and sold it a few years later for something like 425k...

Big assets can really make you money when you sell them.

I bought a house once for 86k, sold it for 105.5k 4 years later.

I paid some taxes and lawyers fees, the rest went into my new better and bigger house.

no1important
I had a three bedroom house with basement on five acres just North of Fort St. John. I sold it for 83,000 in 2001. 83,000 is just a down payment here in Surrey as my "new' house cost $360,000 in 2001.

I guess prices are dependant where one wants to live, commute, availbility of work etc.

I know Vancouver is the greatest city in the World to live in after Victoria, so I don't mind spending extra to live here.

Reverend Blair
We paid $50k for this house. The last tax assesment was for just over $80k, the insurance company insists on $120K as being the replacement price, which I don't doubt at all knowing what construction costs.

The house next door, which caught fire a few years ago and was completely redone inside, just sold for $126 K. It's similar to this place, but has a new detached, heated garage.

mrmom2
I paid 139 a year an half ago for this place and the assesment this year was 143k

galianomama
apparently, the house prices here on the island are only going to continue to go up until after the olympics. that's the news in the industry, that it is busy now, but will only triple in the next few years. dunno where everyone is going to live, after all it is an island!

Reverend Blair
I was just reading something on another site about how Victoria needs to infill, which would also make mass-transit viable. I don't the situation there, but that sounded pretty similar to what a lot of us are saying here in Winnipeg.

I'm not sure what that would do to housing prices there though. Here there keep going up.

mrmom2
Thats what Kamloops is doing right now infilling all the empty lots its nice to see.Getting rid of all those dusty empty lots

Twila
I think Victoria may be in for an eye opener. Business are pulling out of downtown and moving to the outskirts. Langford and Sooke.

For $107K you get a 1 bd 550sq ft condo in down town Victoria. For those who want downtown city living.

Mind you Vancouver for the same sq ft it's $200k. But then your in downtown Vancouver. A completely different situation.

jemima
**Edited. It was completely off topic, not to mention inane and ridiculous.**

galianomama
thanks jemima, is that the real estate oath?

galianomama
twila, gone are those prices. right now out my window there are four cranes working to put up condos. they run anywhere from 285 - 450K. business is crazy downtown. i dunno, eventually the bubble will burst, but i know that most of the developers are from vancouver. they have just realized how much cheaper housing is on the island.

Quote:

I was just reading something on another site about how Victoria needs to infill, which would also make mass-transit viable. I don't the situation there, but that sounded pretty similar to what a lot of us are saying here in Winnipeg.

hey rev - we are infilling at a very fast pace. there is a huge new development going in on the harbour area of victoria which will be self-sustaining to a large extent. reuse of surface water, energy efficiency. and don't forget that victoria is the bike capital of canada - i am sure that gonzo can attest to that. a large portion ride bikes year round, which is great. they are really promoting the biking and forgetting the car routine.

Twila
Actually I got those prices from MLS. That price is currently what is for sale in downtown victoria. Must be an old building

mrmom2
And the untreated sewage straight into the ocean capital of Canada

galianomama
Quote:

And the untreated sewage straight into the ocean capital of Canada

yeah, isn't that crazy? all the tourists 'flock' down to clover point and look out to sea, i dunno if they realize the sewage plant is below them!

galianomama
Quote:

Actually I got those prices from MLS. That price is currently what is for sale in downtown victoria. Must be an old building

or it could be a leaky condo

mrmom2
Are they ever going to do something about that galianomama ?By the way i love Galiano isle its beautiful

Twila
oh, I forgot about leaky condo's.

galianomama
ah, a soul mate! yes galiano island is my fave too. god, i sure hope it never changes. with all the backstabbing and politics of the isle, it doesn't look like it will for awhile! it is a haven to the uninitiated. even thinking about a week/weekend/day on my isle brings a sense of laid back smiling wiseness. dreamy....

i actually have not heard all that much about the sewage situation here. it kinda rises and falls again. maybe it will become a political item for the next election. i kinda doubt it. they need to install a secondary sewage treatment plant and then we would be okay. the straight is so narrow, i dunno how they can possibly think that the sewage isn't going to cause pollution problems. they have a secondary plant across the water at port angeles, and they have a much smaller population than victoria. the thing is, there are other areas that also have this problem, around one of the more popular lakes - prospect lake, has septic tanks weeping into the lake and totally contaminating it.

mrmom you can appreciate this little aside - one year we took all five kids to prospect lake on a hot miserable day. out of the car we jump and dive into the lake. thinking we had found 'the best swimming hole ever' since no one was around. next day on the radio they were talking about the coliform count at the lakes. our lake was over 400. ouch. we still laugh about that one. the water sure was warm! ha!

mrmom2
Shushwap lake is having the same septic tank problems too
and thats where our water supply comes from Thank god for our new water treatment plant

galianomama
well, unless i am mistaken, i think shawnigan lake gets there water supply again from a lake they water ski, swim in and generally mess around in all day. yuk.