A few questions for a college paper.

SparkyBoy414
I am in college and am doing a research paper on Canada and I need some responses from some people from Canada. Any help you be greatly appreciated.

How do Canadians view American culture?

Do Canadians take any serious offense to certain American TV shows insulting Canada (for instance, South Park), or do they even know about it?

What are some popular TV shows that commonly air in Canada?

Thanks for any help guys!

Reverend Blair
Quote:

How do Canadians view American culture?

It depends on what part of culture you're talking about. I view their mass news media with suspiscion. I view Marlboros as the best cigarette ever made. Their gun culture is ridiculous and dangerous. Their music culture is rich and varied when you dig in, but the surface is a veneer of greed and incompetence...pretty much like here or in Britain.

Quote:

Do Canadians take any serious offense to certain American TV shows insulting Canada (for instance, South Park), or do they even know about it?

South Park doesn't offend me. I always get the impression that they are making fun as much of how Americans view us as they are making fun of us. That kind of humour often shows up in writing and TV shows. It isn't offensive because it isn't mean spirited.

Bill O'Reilly and that blonde bitch offend me though. They aren't joking, they are purposely spreading hatred and ignorance. They also claim to be giving facts when they are lying. That offends me even when they aren't talking about Canada because they claim to be journalists.

Quote:

What are some popular TV shows that commonly air in Canada?

Our basic cable packages carry ABC, CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS as a rule. Most of us also get CNN. Fox "News" is available on digital cable. Our Canadian stations pick up shows from your networks, so even people without cable watch a lot of American television. We also get TLC, A&E etc. Basically if you broadcast it, it shows up here one way or another.

I hope that answers some of your questions.

Ten Packs
If you watched most TV up here, you'd have to look outside to know you weren't in the States. (fewer flags ) For instance, last night we watched American Dreams, West Wing and Law and Order.

I'll get lots of argument in this forum, but I'm among the large group of Canadians who find that a really GOOD Canadian TV show is a treat, not a everyday occurance.

For NEWS, however, we have both a very good CBC Newsworld and regular daily broadcasts from Britains BBC. Both give rather different slants on world events than you get from the "alphabets", CNN, and most certainly Faux News....

Reverend Blair
So as to not drag this thread totally off topic, I'm stealing part of your post, Ten Packs.

missile
Americans don't have any culture!

EmmaDibbs
I just think it's nice to hear an American (assuming you are American Nebie??) askiong about another Country's culture!! I mean they normally only care about their own and know very little about other cultures. I am reminded about the time my hubby was speaking to an American (he works for an American Company) and he mentioned that we were going to Egypt on our Homeymoon- the American said oh that's nice...does it have much history there?? I mean...DUR!!! Onlyt a few thousand years worth!!

SparkyBoy414
Thanks for all the replies. I have a few more questions for you, if you will:

What would be considered common Canadian foods?

Can you give me a brief rundown of a normal day for you?

How many languages can you speak fluidly?

Do you play any video games? If so, which ones?

Again, you're input will be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

-EmmaDibbs: Yes, I'm an American, and I usually enjoy looking at other cultures. Our culture is kinda... pathetic... in so many ways.

LadyC
Quote:

The only language I speak fluidly is whale, like Dory in Finding Nemo.

SparkyBoy414
Bump for the night..

Reverend Blair
Quote:

What would be considered common Canadian foods?

Perogies, Cabbage Rolls, hamburger, cheese, steak, pork chops, potatoes, beer, things made from wheat.

We're a country of immigrants, Sparky. We eat whatever foods we like from whatever culture we like. On Saturday I had bannock (fried in bacon grease), warmed up perogies, bacon and eggs for breakfast. For supper we had pizza. Tonight I had hamburger helper for supper. Tomorrow I think I'll make a pot roast.

Quote:

Can you give me a brief rundown of a normal day for you?

I generally wake up around 5:30. I have a dog that determines that.

I hobble down the stairs, make a pot of coffee, and sit in front of the TV watching either the Canadian Learning Channel or University of Winnipeg TV or Newsworld while listening to a Christian radio station that rarely plays Christian music. I guzzle coffee and chain-smoke for about an hour or an hour and a half.

I check my e-mail and spend one or two hours writing, all while guzzling coffee and chain-smoking.

I wander about the internet while writing, sometimes for legitimate purposes and sometimes to avoid writing. I like poster boards because I find that the best way to avoid writing is to write.

I have a shower. I write some more.

If I have to go out, I try to do it between ten and two.

I write a bit more while chain-smoking, guzzling coffee and wandering around the internet.

I watch Politics with Don Newman on NewsWorld...especially on Thursdays.

Sometimes I have a nap before Mrs. Rev gets home because I tend not to sleep much at night...that might have something to do with my coffee guzzling.

I cook supper. If there's a show on I want to see, I watch it. I generally don't drink much coffee after supper, but I might have a beer or two.

I wander around the internet some more and try to finish the writing I didn't get done because I was avoiding writing by writing.

I go to bed sometime between 10:00 p.m. and 3:00 a.m.

On weekends I drink more beer than coffee, but the rest remains pretty much the same.

I'm not sure that many people consider my days normal though. Some have even described my lifestyle as "eccentric".

Quote:

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume you meant fluently.

Just English, and I often wonder about that claim. I have a smattering of Ukrainian and can swear in Cree. I used to have a few words of Sioux, but that was a long time ago and I started forgetting the language almost as soon as she dumped me.

Quote:

Do you play any video games? If so, which ones?

Spider solitaire sometimes.