SPRING HAS SPRUNG

missile
Just waiting so patiently for the flowers to start to bloom,perhaps this will be the year that they do

Reverend Blair
I'm still waiting for the snow to melt. Another month yet before we can worry about spring for real. Just about a month after that before I put in the garden.

peapod
Its raining here...but its still way past spring :P

Hard-Luck Henry
I've got crocuses and daffodils coming out of my ears! (Maybe that why the local kids call me Tom Bombadil. I thought it was because I was so wise ...)

Reverend Blair
I am starting to get itchy to put the little blue truck back on the road. There really isn't much point in it until I have stuff to haul, but I keep looking at it out there and thinking, "hmm, I can hardly wait to pull into Rene's dirt yard so he can fill me up with topsoil."

I'm also thinking about getting some landscape ties to put at the bottom of the garden to keep the dirt in and the grass out.

peapod
Rev, what kind of garden do you have? Do you only grow vegies or what?

Reverend Blair
I grow veggies, but I put some flowers in to attract bees.

We put in a couple rows of Saskatoon Bushes a couple years ago too.

Mrs. Rev has flower beds all over the yard too...front and back. All we grow in the immediate back is grass and some trees because of the dogs, but our yard is 333 feet deep, so there's room for everything.

peapod
Thats a big yard rev :P Saskatoon berries, yum....but I like blueberries better, and ehm...who does the weeding and careing for the the garden rev? you or mrs.rev???

Reverend Blair
Quote:

who does the weeding and careing for the the garden rev? you or mrs.rev???

Usually nobody. What generally happens is that it gets too wet back there and the weeds take over. Then we go in and clean it out when it dries up. That's why I'd like to put in the landscape ties to hold the dirt in. It would raise the low end of the garden up.

We work on the veggie garden together. I'm in charge of mechanical things though, so I like to keep the rows far enough apart to avoid too much hand-weeding.

I should have more time this year than I have had, so I'm guessing I'll be doing more gardening than Mrs Rev.

I don't do the flower beds though...not since the grass incident. It turns out that some grass is decorative, not a weed. Who knew?

I do like to shovel dirt though, so I do help with that part.

peapod
My X husband was like that, or maybe its just kind of trick, playing dumb I mean. :P He wacked two clematis vines I had growing, and they were old established ones. Grgrgrgrgrgr...I had to growl and say "gimmie that wacker" ...whoa..I was some mad! more than enough "grounds" for divorce. :P

Reverend Blair
Was your ex raised on a farm? We learn odd things like if it doesn't belong there then it's a weed. Since flower gardens should have flowers in them, non-flowers are weeds.

I am learning though. I rescued a couple of darkroom sinks last year...stainless steel ones. One is a potting bench now, but the deep one is a raised flower bed full of ornamental grasses. I've learned to stay away from it and that it isn't funny when the dog (we only have one agile enough to get into it) sleeps in it.

peapod
No he was not raised on a farm, he was miltary, the only thing he really knew anything about was golf :P He never really saw anything special about gardens

Munkustrap
My family (immediate and not) are nuts about gardens. My parents keep a shot gun by the door in case some dog comes and pisses in it. (Not actually.)

Is there anyone here who doesn't like Spring? Or am I alone? How can people want snow to go! Snow is so nice and pretty! And you can ski on it! Spring everything is wet and smells, and mud and salt and gravel are all over the roads and sidewalks. Bleh. Not a nice season.

Hard-Luck Henry
Quote: Originally Posted by Munkustrap

My family (immediate and not) are nuts about gardens. My parents keep a shot gun by the door in case some dog comes and pisses in it. (Not actually.)

Is there anyone here who doesn't like Spring? Or am I alone? How can people want snow to go! Snow is so nice and pretty! And you can ski on it! Spring everything is wet and smells, and mud and salt and gravel are all over the roads and sidewalks. Bleh. Not a nice season.

Maybe, Munku., but we'd be struggle to survive without it, so Spring has to stay in my calendar.

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Is there anyone here who doesn't like Spring? Or am I alone? How can people want snow to go!

I have four dogs...I always have mixed feelings about the snow melting.

Munkustrap
Ah ha ha ha Blair! That's a bonus about Winter, the snow is a carpet we sweep everything underneath. Good luck "treasure hunting" man, I hope you come back a rich man!

Ten Packs
Well, I suppose you Easterners (and thats most of the country for me!) dont want to know that my Rhubarb is poking several "phallic nubbins" out of the ground, and one has begun to unfirl its wrinkly leaves already. "Day Lilies" are about 4" high now (the blades, not the stems). Forsythia is showing the first yellow "pre-petals".

The male House Finches are getting VERY red-breasted feathers, for obvious reasons
(and you ladies think we MEN "strut our stuff" - HAH!)

peapod
same thing happening here ten paks, grand is it not :P

Ten Packs
and you are where, pea?

*** can't get used to calling a Lady that, ya know? ***

Reverend Blair
Then you guys wonder why we ridicule you when you get a little bit of snow and they show you on the news having impromptu demolition derbies in the streets.

missile
Or when TORONTO has to call in the troops to clear a bit of snow

Ten Packs
Quote: Originally Posted by Reverend Blair

Then you guys wonder why we ridicule you when you get a little bit of snow and they show you on the news having impromptu demolition derbies in the streets.

That's the 604's, Rev - they're maroons, when it comes to driving in snow....

jamie
Yes, it is definately Spring time here in my part of the country.
So, where do you go for Spring Break when you live in one of the most popular areas for Spring Breakers...I actually want to get away from them!!!

Ten Packs
I hate to tell you this Rev (well actually, I'm taking perverse pleasure in it).....

MY WIFE MOWED THE LAWN TODAY!!!

L M A O !

Walrus
Quote: Originally Posted by Ten Packs

I hate to tell you this Rev (well actually, I'm taking perverse pleasure in it).....

L M A O !

And I have been counting the buds on my cherry tree

My sister lives near Saskatoon. Last year she was up in Inuvik in January and it was warmer than it was in Saskatchewan - I told her to give her in-laws a call to rub it in.

peapod
only buds eh? mine are blooming, you must live in esquimalt. :P

Walrus
Quote: Originally Posted by peapod

only buds eh? mine are blooming, you must live in esquimalt. :P

Langford actually - so the higher elevation is a little cooler

peapod
right a couple of golf courses handy around there

Reverend Blair
Quote:

Can I borrow her for the summer?

JDream
Springggg,,, Whoohooo! Weather gets better here everyday Yay!!!! I can't wait for the summer !